Jump to content
FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
dogrunner

Older classic cars and trucks.

Recommended Posts

dogrunner

Seen this a week ago. Talked to the man it was his dad's that he bought from the estate. 1970 Ranger XLT. Seen the original invoice $2700 it only had 12,700 miles on it. I told him next year he could get a new one he said hey ya never know. 

IMG_1126.JPG

IMG_1127.JPG

IMG_1128.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dave in Maine

That's a truck, from when trucks were trucks and not open-topped family station wagons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rockdoc

I take it that he doesn't drive that old Ford truck during the winter months. My son offered to sell me his 2005 Rav4 but since I knew it'd spent its entire life in the rust belt I had to pass, even though I'd love a vehicle that can handle rough roads better then my no-ground clearance Caravan.

 

Steve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
max2

It bring's back memories. Is it three on the tree ? or four on the floor ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Brad Eden

IMG_0256.JPG

 

Thats one cool Ranger. Much better than the POS Ford Ranger I bought new in early 80's...

 

I wish I had kept and restored this International Scout II. It was a beast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dogrunner
58 minutes ago, max2 said:

It bring's back memories. Is it three on the tree ? or four on the floor ?

Either 3 on the tree or a automatic, it did not have a floor shiftier. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dogrunner
10 hours ago, Rockdoc said:

I take it that he doesn't drive that old Ford truck during the winter months. My son offered to sell me his 2005 Rav4 but since I knew it'd spent its entire life in the rust belt I had to pass, even though I'd love a vehicle that can handle rough roads better then my no-ground clearance Caravan.

 

Steve

No, hardly drives it at all, he said the tires were original but they did not look like it to me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dogrunner

Brad that does look like a beast, what year?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Greg Hartman

Each to their own, of course, but I don't get the fascination with old vehicles.  I'll take a modern one every time - they are more reliable, safer, more comfortable, more efficient, faster, longer lasting, etc, etc.  I drive an old Jeep because I don't want to: (a) spend the money for a new one; or (b) treat a new one as roughly as I do the old one - but, if I had endless money, I'd have a new truck every year because they are always improving.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Brad Eden
16 minutes ago, dogrunner said:

Brad that does look like a beast, what year?

 

Can't remember exactly, early to mid 70's I think. I talked about it in an earlier thread on Scouts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dogwood
7 minutes ago, Greg Hartman said:

Each to their own, of course, but I don't get the fascination with old vehicles.  I'll take a modern one every time - they are more reliable, safer, more comfortable, more efficient, faster, longer lasting, etc, etc.  I drive an old Jeep because I don't want to: (a) spend the money for a new one; or (b) treat a new one as roughly as I do the old one - but, if I had endless money, I'd have a new truck every year because they are always improving.

 

Last year I test drove a local old Toyota FJ for sale, the Jeep-like thing.  All original.  If wrestling the steering wheel like twisting a longhorn steer to the ground, extreme engine noise, a clutch travel of 12", and manual brakes are all cool factors this thing had it in spades.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eric Rinehart

1975 Spitfire that was mostly restored by my father-in-law, who then promptly wanted it out of his garage.  I've made a few upgrades/changes, but mostly have fun with the top down in the warmer months.  

 

Eric_Rinehart_Eric_Rinehart_000.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Brad Eden
1 minute ago, Eric Rinehart said:

1975 Spitfire that was mostly restored by my father-in-law, who then promptly wanted it out of his garage.  I've made a few upgrades/changes, but mostly have fun with the top down in the warmer months.  

 

Eric_Rinehart_Eric_Rinehart_000.jpg

 

 

Nice. A childhood friend started buying and restoring Triumphs with his dad when in high school. He restored a TR-3 and a Spitfire and maybe one other. I really liked that Spitfire. He painted his bright yellow and we drove it from Mass to Mt Desert Island in Maine where my family vacationed. I remember how low it was to the ground/pavement on the highway. It was a light car and we had to park it up the dirt camp road because it would spin out trying to get up a steep hill at bottom. What a fun car to drive!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eric Rinehart

Thanks Brad.  This car was sold locally in 1975, and I have the original window sticker.  $3975.  Three options - AM/FM radio, steel trim rings and floor mats.   We believe the 21K on the odometer is the correct low mileage. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dakota Dogman

Just put my other Scout II back on the road yesterday.  I love my '80 Scout Terra (pickup - now supporting a Chevy 350 system), but it only holds 2 and with a tribe of kids, it is seldom that I get to go anywhere with just 1 of them.  

 

So the Scout II (looks like Brad's, but the orange w/ white stripes) seats 5 which gives me an excuse to have 2 retired rigs on the road.  This one has an original 345 in it that just loves to run.  This motor was made right & just loves to purr. Quite, powerful, and has always wanted to run.  This one is a '76.  I can't see Brad's grill, but I'm guessing his is around a '74. 

 

Why love the old rigs? I can afford (or could before people decided they were cool) them.  Because IH doesn't make Scouts anymore. Because of the memories made in them.  And I'd put them up against most anything new in the places I love to drive.  There maybe a few that are as off road capable, but not many & not in my price range. 

 

God Bless, 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×