FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
dogrunner

Older classic cars and trucks.

Rockdoc

For you Land Rover guys take a look at the classic 1980 movie "The Gods Must Be Crazy" made and filmed in South Africa where a vintage Land Rover provided much of the movies comic relief.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gods_Must_Be_Crazy

Steve

Ben Hong

Classic movie. Great clean slapstick fun!

Birdcountry70

I posted a couple pics of my 72 scout 2 a while back in another thread but thought I'd add it here too since others have shown theirs. And I'm trying Brads tip of the day for inserting existing photos-slick! 20170224_090401-1.thumb.jpg.9e5203cdfd51a307c2e0cc2fb261197c.jpg20170224_090057-1.thumb.jpg.0d8f56347acc6cdd96d67114a56baedb.jpg

mcgreg

Grew up in Ft Wayne so have a soft spot for your Scouts I and II. Jeep Cjs too. The Dana plant on State St made axles for both. Been throughout both plants multiple times in the 70's heyday, those were the last days of manual machines, steam hammers, and sweat, baby, sweat!

Chukarman

I really like the Scouts, but like old CJs better...

willys_history_cjwillys.jpg

forestdump
On 6/13/2017 at 3:24 AM, Brad Eden said:

Thats one cool Ranger. Much better than the POS Ford Ranger I bought new in early 80's...

I wish I had kept and restored this International Scout II. It was a beast.

Thats a nice Scout. I had one that would go anywhere you'd point it. New England winters ate it up though, wasn't perfect when I first got it and by the end it was completely rotted with rust.

dogrunner

Check this out. 

IMG_1815.JPG

IMG_1819.JPG

IMG_1833.JPG

Brad Eden

This thread reminds me of the TV show Chasing Classic Cars. It's a great show.

jeff88
On 6/13/2017 at 9:49 AM, apachecadillac said:

Okay, cult vehicles.

Hands down, the IH Scout is a cult vehicle.  At this point, Jeep is a brand, not a a cult vehicle.  I'd say the original Ford Bronco and the K-5 Blazer (both from the 70s) are cult vehicles from that era.  From the 90s, I'll offer up the two door Tahoe (mostly because I saw one beautifully restored in the Cabela's parking lot in Utah a couple of summers ago, otherwise, honestly not sure it really qualifies, and it was just a rebadged K-5, as I understand) and the Toyota Land Cruiser (a buddy of mine, a Indian Health Services Physician who spends a great deal of time in the Navajo Nation, has a quarter of a million  miles on one, emphatically not restored, and most of those miles are off pavement, but not off road, of course).  IMHO, the FJ Cruiser is a marketing ploy playing off the Land Cruiser, not a serious cult vehicle nominee.  Sorry Toyota.

So, other cult vehicle nominations?  Not sure if Hong's Crusader tank from his days serving Her Majesty the Queen with a NATO armo(u)red division stationed in Germany counts, but otherwise the field is open . . .

Good question.  Two that I owned and wish I still had:

- 1973 BMW Tii, 4 speed manual, Green, tan interior

- 1984 Porsche 944S, 5 sp manual, Guards Red, tan interior

Wish I had any one of these today:

- 1968 Mercedes Benz 280SL with 4 sp manual, in midnight blue with saddle interior, with removable hard top

- 1969 Ford Mustang Fastback with 4 sp manual, 289 4-barrel carb, any color

- 1949 Ford Woody Wagon

- Early 60's Rolls Royce hardtop

jeff88
On 6/18/2017 at 9:40 AM, Rockdoc said:

For you Land Rover guys take a look at the classic 1980 movie "The Gods Must Be Crazy" made and filmed in South Africa where a vintage Land Rover provided much of the movies comic relief.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gods_Must_Be_Crazy

Steve

Agree, great movie, especially the very start with the coke bottle.

dogrunner

IMG_1812.JPG

IMG_1837.JPG

MN Tonester

My boss drove in his 65 convertible 442

sigh.  if Publishers Clearinghouse ever comes calling, I will indulge my high school desire for a mid/late 60's 442

walt lister

Sure wish I had kept my 1965 Corvette, 396cuin, 425hp. Overall high point car in 1967 SoCal Autocross Championship.

stingray.jpg

Anyone into vintage dirt bikes?

1979 Maico 440 Magnum

Maico.jpg

Dakota Dogman

My Mrs. isn't into motorcycles or I would.  Grew up with BSA & Triumphs.  BSA 650 Royal Star (the red & chrome one) is the one I still grieve dad selling.   The Triumph was a Trophy Trail, great bike... brother in law ended up with that one.  Cost of getting the guns I wanted when everything was passed down... 

God Bless, 

Ruger1
On June 13, 2017 at 6:24 AM, Brad Eden said:

IMG_0256.JPG

Thats one cool Ranger. Much better than the POS Ford Ranger I bought new in early 80's...

I wish I had kept and restored this International Scout II. It was a beast.

I owned four of them. Two 345's, a Comanche 4 and the last was a 304 auto trans. . As I recall in 4-Wheel Low and a manual 4-Speed gearbox the engine topped out at about 12 mph. - a real tractor gear. Luv' those locking hubs. Go most anywhere and through most anything but they were real rust buckets - 35 years later I still have some dried Bondo under my fingernails - that stuff just lasts and lasts. Local gas station has an IH Traveller (a Scout II with and extended body) for sale - tempted but not that tempted. 

Ruger 1