FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Kemo Sabe

Kerry Luft lights up the US FITASC Gran Prix

Mike Connally

Wow! Well done. 

I am becoming aware just how difficult that is. As a long time skeet shooter I was accustomed to the notion of shooting straight or you're out. Now that I'm working hard at sporting clays I'm really learning that the difficulty factor is much, much higher in sporting clays. 

You have to master a lot of different techniques to get to your level. 

Again, well done.  

Kemo Sabe

Speaking of Master....Mr. Luft got 4 punches for his shooting last weekend, and got himself run out of AA, and is now a Master Class Shooter.

Another reason for a High Five, Amigo 

KerryLuft
On 6/26/2017 at 10:28 AM, dogrunner said:

Congrats Kerry you did a great job on World class targets. If I wasn't shooting at the same time I would have liked to watch you grind them up. After shooting long targets before and after this weekend I still like 8s on long targets for the extra pellet strikes unless I have to shoot more at the dome, than 7 1/2s seem to do a better job or if I'm shooting rabbits. 

One of the nice things about the targets at this shoot was that most of them were highly visible -- the exception being the C bird while shooting it as an incomer on parcour 6.  Even the big long crosser on parcour 7 gave you belly the whole way across the sky, and you're right, 8s SMASHED that bird.  And the new 70 mm target on parcour 1 is fun. I bet those will become more common in the years to come.

KerryLuft
1 hour ago, Mike Connally said:

I am becoming aware just how difficult that is. As a long time skeet shooter I was accustomed to the notion of shooting straight or you're out. Now that I'm working hard at sporting clays I'm really learning that the difficulty factor is much, much higher in sporting clays. 

The mindblowing part of that is that the best shooters like Anthony, Zach, Wendell Cherry and a few others have become so good at pointing the gun that they're getting closer and closer to having to shoot 95 percent or better to be sure of a win, even on the toughest targets.  Kevin deMichiel shot 192x200 this past week -- that's 96 percent! -- and yet Gregg Wolf tied him over the weekend and won in the shootoff.  

Chukarman

Congratulations, Kerry! Shooting well at that level of competition is an accomplishment to be proud of.

Mike Connally
1 minute ago, KerryLuft said:

The mindblowing part of that is that the best shooters like Anthony, Zach, Wendell Cherry and a few others have become so good at pointing the gun that they're getting closer and closer to having to shoot 95 percent or better to be sure of a win, even on the toughest targets.  Kevin deMichiel shot 192x200 this past week -- that's 96 percent! -- and yet Gregg Wolf tied him over the weekend and won in the shootoff.  

That's amazing. I haven't shot any registered events yet. My best is around 80% or so. I'm looking for some instruction and if I can ever average mid 80's I'll think about. Those scores you speak about make me realize how far I have to go to be competitive. 

KerryLuft

You're in Northern Virginia, no?  Go see Anthony.  Three hours away.

studdog

Great shooting!  Congrats Kerry!

dogrunner
7 hours ago, KerryLuft said:

One of the nice things about the targets at this shoot was that most of them were highly visible -- the exception being the C bird while shooting it as an incomer on parcour 6.  Even the big long crosser on station 7 gave you belly the whole way across the sky, and you're right, 8s SMASHED that bird.  And the new 70 mm target on parcour 1 is fun. I bet those will become more common in the years to come.

Yep 6 was my last parcour and C was a tough target. That was like last years State fitasc parcour and I shot it in the morning and the Swamp put a hurting on me with low light. 

KerryLuft

It was a weird bird.  Everyone else in my squad hit it and I couldn't find it.  When that happens you just have to shrug it off because they saw something you didn't or you simply made a rotten plan. It happens.  More bothersome to me are the targets you miss because you fail to execute a good plan ...

dogrunner

I hit it a couple times, once I got up on the hill it I think I missed it. 

KerryLuft
1 hour ago, dogrunner said:

I hit it a couple times, once I got up on the hill it I think I missed it. 

Same here.  No problem when it was a crosser.

JHJ
On 6/26/2017 at 5:14 AM, KerryLuft said:

Thanks, fellas.  What Kemo generously fails to mention is that I shot a rotten 77 x 100 on the other four parcours, and that sucks.

More work to be done ... and yes, it will be done with a machine gun. :D

Nice shooting, Kerry. 

KerryLuft

Thanks, John. Nice to see you around again.

JHJ

Thanks. Nice to be here again. 

Getting my account set up.