FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
forestdump

Tahoe/Suburban guys

forestdump

Need a hunting rig/tow pig and I've been looking at Tahoes and Suburans. I'll be getting a cheap most likely high mileage 100k+ 

Ive been building Jeeps all my life how do you guys like these as a reliable truck?

CzechSM

I have a 2001 Tahoe with 300,000 miles on it and have had no issues. It is getting a bit rusty but is reliable. I also have a 2006 Tahoe with 225,000 miles and I have had no issues other than changing the oil pump at 210,000. Both have the 5.3 with tow packages. 16-17 mpg with each with about 11-12 mpg while towing a trailer.

hayslope

I'm on Suburban number 8......there's a reason they are so popular in this day and age of fuel economy concerns!  Jeep.......can't say I can ever recall hearing them being associated with the term "reliable".  

gunsrus

IMG_0726.thumb.JPG.26e42f0c9a119ebfc8fd5632362ae745.JPG

gunsrus

The ''new grouse mobile'' , 1999 Tahoe 2 door with 125,000 that I just bought . 

We have always had Tahoes and love them . 

Wife has a 2015 LTZ and daughter has a 2016 LTZ . These newer models are spectacular and the gas mileage is so much better .

UplandHntr

Im on my 3rd Suburban. Love everything about them. Never had engine or trans issues. Only 1 fuel pump issue.  Slept in mine with my Springer last fall in MT for 5 days. Plenty of room in back. Quite comfy actually. 

Take care of them and they will take care of you.

Bird Buster

Have had several Tahoes a 2001  03 and 06. All were very reliable rode and handled well. I just missed having a truck but would not hesitate to own another. I would recommend a Suburban due to the extra cargo capacity and really not enough difference in gas mileage vs Tahoe to matter. A lot of deals out there to be had if you do your homework. Those Vortec engines are great if you take care of them. Got a 99 Silverado with 311K on it still.

forestdump
2 hours ago, hayslope said:

I'm on Suburban number 8......there's a reason they are so popular in this day and age of fuel economy concerns!  Jeep.......can't say I can ever recall hearing them being associated with the term "reliable".  

Jeeps are great for what they are. I've built Cherokees and abused them off road and driven to work the next day but severely lacking in the towing and cargo space. I had to trade in my last Jeep 11 months ago driving cross country from CT to OR in a Cherokee with one good driveshaft, 200k on the motor and rolling on 35s. Made it to Wyoming before it finally gave up and I was forced into a 40mpg little Nissan sedan that went from brand new 0 miles to significantly more wear and tear as it also served as my hunting rig last season.

I'm just looking for something reliable with towing power that can carry all my crap. Most likely 90s-early 00s. I appreciate all the feedback.

Windrider

A modded Jeep is one of the most dependable vehicles in world, but they do have some reliability issues.

Translation:  if I can get her started, I get to pull out all the other vehicles after they get stuck.  Trouble is, she won't run all the time.

I'm on my third Jeep.

mister grouse

First Tahoe /Yukon in @ '78.  First Suburban in '83 (diesel) was only one I ever had a problem with, due to GM trying to make diesels out of gas engines, even then I put a ton of miles on it.  Next a '88 suburban.  Then a 93 Yukon, then a 2004 Yukon (used with then 25k), then a '96 used suburban with  150k miles to leave out west for a bird hunting and trout fishing vehicle. Then a 2005 ' used Denali suburban 78 with 86K miles when i bought it.  .  

Every one of these vehicles had more than 200,000 miles  put on them. The 83 had 300,000.  The 96 is still going out west with 200+, the 04 and 2005 are used daily at home at 200,00+ each.  The 96, 04, and 05  all get  better than 15 mph today on regular cheap gas.  I ve never towed anything heavier than a boat trailer with any of them.  

bmeador

2001 Suburban.  Just hitting 199198 miles today. 16 mpg in city, 11 towing 3800 pound travel trailer.  4 large dog crates with dogs and ALL hunting gear, clothes, boots, guns n shells for a week/10 day hunt in back.  Love it!

Hammergun

We've had two Yukon XL's (same as a Suburban) a 2004 and currently a 2008. Each had about 200 k miles on them. They have been great trucks and have the best ride than any other vehicle we've ridden in including the 2013 Land Cruiser we are now driving. They can fit two crates in the back on top of a truck Vault and more crates can be added in the back seat if needed. I get about 19 mpg on the highway fully loaded. I also like the console set up. Neither had or have had any major mechanical problems but they are kept up. 

I have a truck Vault for sale in the Swap and Trade for a Tahoe or Suburban if any is looking for one. 

apachecadillac

We had a '94 Tahoe for 8-9 years, put something north of !00,000 miles on it, then my son totalled it.  It was great vehicle--terrible gas mileage, of course.  Drove the Alcan in that thing, camping out, etc. etc. etc.  I liked it enough that a couple of years back I was fantasizing about buying an older one as a project.  I spent a fair amount of time looking for one (OP--that was in Portland Oregon metro) before I came to my senses and bought a Nissan Xterra (new).  Older Tahoes are out there.  What you want, of course, is one driven by a soccer mom, then handed down to a teenage boy who doesn't total it, and may have high mileage on it but hasn't beat to he ll the way, say, an oil patch company vehicle declared surplus has been.  Good luck.

Grifish

I have a 2004 Tahoe that I bought prescratched n dented.  I love the 5.3 great power still at 170k.  Make sure that you check the brake lines thoroughly, they have a tendency to rust and they are difficult and thus expensive to repair. They run inside the frame and just do not do well in that environment. I believe there is a kit for relocating them to the outside of the frame.  I have to look into this, I was quoted $2k to replace OEM.  Insane, I thought, went to my buddy's shop 1.4k for friggin brake lines.  So it looks like I'll be spending some quality time with my Tahoe in the near future!

Flush

As of January I have been driving an 05 suburban that was my buddies that he bought new. It currently has 305,000 miles and is running strong on the original motor.

I was very surprised how much I liked this rig. Unfortunately this one is only 2wd, but I liked in so much, I ended up buying a 2004 Suburban (4wd Z71) with "only"

150,000 miles.

Used Suburbans/Tahoes are FAR less expensive than comparable year and mileage chevy/gmc trucks, at least around here.