FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
forestdump

Tahoe/Suburban guys

Rockford Setters

I just traded in my 2006 Yukon XL with 162,000 miles that was still running strong on a 2017 Suburban,  I believe this is my 7th Suburban/Yukon XL and don't know how I would get along without one.  I am disappointed that when the seats are folded down on the new one they do not lay flat down like previous models do.  It also looks to have a higher load floor leaving less height for floor to roof resulting in less cubic feet of storage for crates and gear.  But it is an awesome, versatile vehicle.  Will be better with some BF Goodrich All terrain tires on it by hunting season.

boutdoors4

Good topic as I am currently looking for  a Tahoe so this helps in reaffirming my choice for my next vehicle.

Thanks guys for all your input.

Robert

Mn John

Suburbans are mostly very dependable, I've had a couple buy them with 75,000 to 100,000 miles and run them to 300,000.  Current suburban is a 2005 with 269,000 miles. Had one out of the ordinary mechanical issues that as far as I can tell isn't common.  The fuel line needed replacing after a pin hole was worn in it.  It also has worn value guide seals, which causes it to use a qt. or 2 of oil between oil changes.  No big deal except it smokes like a chimney on starting up after it sits for a time, (3-4 hours). 

Keystone

I'm shopping around for a Suburban or GMC and have a couple questions for those of you who have owned them in the past (or mechanics who have worked on them!).  I see alot of Suburban fans touting their longevity into the 250K - 300K mile mark.  Do you find the GMC's lasting as long?  

My budget is putting me in the 2003 to 2008 range and I'm trying to keep it under 100K with the idea of putting another 150K on it over the next 5 years.  What potential problems/issues/warnings should I be looking out for?  Any common problems with this year range I should know about?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Keystone

Yukon1

My '03 Yukon has been great, just about to turn 200,000 miles. Unfortunately, the other day while heading out to train, one of the brake lines went, along with my ability to stop within a reasonable distance. I averted disaster, luckily, but the mechanic's news was not so good. (See Grifish's post above re: brake lines). I need all of mine replaced, $1,500, along with some other issues that need to be addressed by next inspection date, which in total, is going to cost a lot more than the vehicle is worth (and more than I'm willing to put into it).  

I wouldn't hesitate to get another one but I would like more cargo space than this one has. I may look at the XL version or a Suburban. The downside to those is they won't fit in my garage that the previous owners had built. (Who the hell builds a garage only 20x20 for two vehicles!) I'm also looking into cargo/passenger vans.

Can't stand the thought of not having my Yukon, I'll probably have to change my user name...

salmontogue
9 minutes ago, Yukon1 said:

My '03 Yukon has been great, just about to turn 200,000 miles. Unfortunately, the other day while heading out to train, one of the brake lines went, along with my ability to stop within a reasonable distance. I averted disaster, luckily, but the mechanic's news was not so good. (See Grifish's post above re: brake lines). I need all of mine replaced, $1,500, along with some other issues that need to be addressed by next inspection date, which in total, is going to cost a lot more than the vehicle is worth (and more than I'm willing to put into it).  

I wouldn't hesitate to get another one but I would like more cargo space than this one has. I may look at the XL version or a Suburban. The downside to those is they won't fit in my garage that the previous owners had built. (Who the hell builds a garage only 20x20 for two vehicles!) I'm also looking into cargo/passenger vans.

Can't stand the thought of not having my Yukon, I'll probably have to change my user name...

Fifteen hundred for a full set of brake lines sounds excessive.  You may want to shop for a better deal.  I put a full set in a full-sized pickup a year ago and it was less than one large.

Why they are usually not stainless defies reason.

Perk

Rockdoc

Replacing brake lines would be a bitch of a job but it's all labor, the materials and that includes replacing the flexible lines going to your wheel assembles would only run maybe $100 to $200 at the most and could easily be under $100. I'm not certain why the brake lines aren't made from stainless and would suspect it's because of the difference in electrovalence between stainless steel and regular steel or cast iron. That large a difference could cause severe corrosion to the caliper assemblies and other parts of the system. My experience with dissimilar metals came from running an aluminum boat in salt water. However I'm a geologist, maybe some of you engineers might have some thoughts on the matter.

Steve

salmontogue
1 minute ago, Rockdoc said:

Replacing brake lines would be a bitch of a job but it's all labor, the materials and that includes replacing the flexible lines going to your wheel assembles would only run maybe $100 to $200 at the most and could easily be under $100. I'm not certain why the brake lines aren't made from stainless and would suspect it's because of the difference in electrovalence between stainless steel and regular steel or cast iron. That large a difference could cause severe corrosion to the caliper assemblies and other parts of the system. My experience with dissimilar metals came from running an aluminum boat in salt water. However I'm a geologist, maybe some of you engineers might have some thoughts on the matter.

Steve

Hey Steve

Electrovalence swirling around my head causes me to miss shots on birds, even the easy shots.  That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

Perk

salmontogue

Many years ago, I was electrovalenced by a tall curvy blonde.  It may have been electrified.  On the other hand, it might have been scintillated.  Scientific terms can be so confusing.

Perk

Flush
On 9/20/2017 at 8:11 AM, Keystone said:

I see alot of Suburban fans touting their longevity into the 250K - 300K mile mark.  Do you find the GMC's lasting as long?  

Mechanically the GMC and the Chevy are exactly the same so the Yukon XLs should be no different.

I'm not sure of what the most common issues are. Out here rusting of brake lines is not an issue.

The suburban I have been driving, which is currently going strong with 315,000 miles had the oil pump go and the fuel pump go, but both of these happened at over 250K and were not bad in my opinion given how long the originals lasted and the cost of replacement.

Sage Hen

+1 to what Flush said. My little sister bought a brand new 94 GMC that had a chevy emblem the horn button. 

Keystone

I ended up buying a 2004 Suburban with 82,000 miles on it.  I scooped it up the day it hit the lot after seeing several similar ones fly off the lot in a day or two.  Thanks to all for your input!