• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
Greg Hartman

Anybody buy their PA phez "stamp" yet?

Greg Hartman

I did.  It's not actually a stamp.  It's called a "permit" and is part of the computer-generated license that you now carry in your wallet instead of on your back.  I was very pleased to buy the permit, in the hope that it will help fund the program so it can continue.  I wish they could up the basic license fee.  The PAGC stocked phez provide good, challenging hunting in the vast, uncrowded game lands we have here, so long as people give them a chance to get acclimatized before hunting them.  I hunted here back when Pennsylvania was thick with wild phez and I've hunted many places around the country; and can say unequivocally that hunting these birds (IF they are given half a chance to acclimatize) is as good as hunting gets.  $25 is peanuts to pay for the ability to do that..

I asked the license clerk is she had sold a lot of phez permits.  She said no - people think they are too expensive.  That's very distressing to me.  People driving $40K trucks can't afford $25?

Oh well, hopefully this will keep the naysayers out of the field.

Don Steese
1 minute ago, Greg Hartman said:

I did.  It's not actually a stamp.  It's called a "permit" and is part of the computer-generated license that you now carry in your wallet instead of on your back.  I was very pleased to buy the permit, in the hope that it will help fund the program so it can continue.  I wish they could up the basic license fee.  The PAGC stocked phez provide good, challenging hunting in the vast, uncrowded game lands we have here, so long as people give them a chance to get acclimatized before hunting them.  I hunted here back when Pennsylvania was thick with wild phez and I've hunted many places around the country; and can say unequivocally that hunting these birds (IF they are given half a chance to acclimatize) is as good as hunting gets.  $25 is peanuts to pay for the ability to do that..

I asked the license clerk is she had sold a lot of phez permits.  She said no - people think they are too expensive.  That's very distressing to me.  People driving $40K trucks can't afford $25?

Oh well, hopefully this will keep the naysayers out of the field.

Haven't gotten my license yet but will buy a phez permit when I do, even though I'll never use it. I'd like to see the stocking program be self-sustaining and $25 ain't gonna break me. I hope enough people buy them to make a dent in the cost of the stocking program.

SEPAlander

Haven't bought my license yet this year either, but I'll be more than happy to pay the $25 to get the permit to support the PA pheasant program.  As I stated in an earlier post on here related to the PA program (started by Crazy Horse maybe?), the cost of the PA license is ridiculously low and hasn’t come close to keeping pace with inflation since the last license price change.  I can’t imagine anyone thinking $25 is too steep.  I wonder what these people are using as a basis of comparison for value.  Also hope enough people participate to keep the program alive.

ryanr

I'll buy my license this week & begin sending in for my antlerless permit(s). Like the bear permit & Federal duck stamp I'll buy the pheasant permit later as the season nears. $25 is cheap but a lot of these guys complaining are worthless cheapskates that want everything provided free or never increased but they're the same whiners that are first to complain & bash the PGC for not doing more.

Craig Conroy

Complaining about the cost of licenses/stamps/permits is something I've never understood.  The best line I've heard about it was from a guy who grew up here in NW WI, and moved to Minneapolis/St.Paul area to work after flying with the 8th Air Force in WW 2.  He still came up here for hunting and fishing until he retired.  When asked by a "resident" back in the '70's why he spent "all that money" on nonresident licenses, he said that it was the cheapest entertainment he could find ;)

Marc Ret

As others have said, I have not purchased my license yet but will be buying the stamp along with the general license. I seldom go out alone for pheasant anymore but will go a time or two a season to spend the time with friends. The shared time afield with friends is where I derive the most pleasure when it comes to PA pheasants. $25 is a cheap price to pay for that time. 

It would be great to see the program be self-sustaining but I doubt that's feasible given all the negative feedback I've seen from PA hunters. It's kinda like cutting welfare benefits...

Just an amusing side note from another PA specific forum on this topic (ryanr may recall this incident).  One of the posters continually complained about the (at that time) proposed $25 fee of the permit. On multiple occasions he complained he couldn't afford the $25 due to all the associated costs of just paying the household bills of the average joe.  It wasn't fair and all that jazz. A short time later he got caught talking about flying his plane to get a hamburger at a certain restaurant some distance from where he lived. He said it was known to he and other pilots in that area as "getting a hundred dollar hamburger". Didn't go over too well with those who remembered his constant complaints in regards to the pheasant stamp.   

Marcus

Mike Connally

I'm all in favor of the stamp. Anything to help pay for the program. A nice side benefit will be less competition. A sizable number of incidental PA pheasant hunters won't be out there. I know I should feel sorry about that, but....

I spend about $400 a year on licenses so this $25 won't be noticed. 

JK SE PA

I think the members of this board may not be a good representation of the general hunting populace.  There seems to be a good number of people that have cried over this new permit.  Time will tell if that translates to less hunters, less birds, or possibly more people that are taking a chance with "poaching" for the one or two times they go out.  
Who knows.  I'm not sure that I would call our game lands vast and uncrowded though as far as pheasant hunting goes.  In my experience the pheasant stocking locations can get quite crowded and the number of slob hunters has increased with the number of stocked birds.  I'd imagine that those people fortunate enough to be able hunt during the week find things a bit different than those of us who have to go on Saturdays or even the occasional Friday.

I see this whole thing as a catch 22.  I do think the pheasant program should pay for itself.  I also see the new hunter recruitment value in the program.  I also like the idea of less people to contend with in the field for the few times I go pheasant hunting.  I'll buy the license regardless if I hunt the stocked birds or not though.

DAP

Bought my license and Pheasant stamp and I'm hoping I don't use it.  I hope my work schedule allows me to make long drives to hunt grouse rather than take short local hunts for pheasant.  

Jacquidog

I will buy the permit,hunting as I do for Grouse  in the Water Gap. Every once in a while I come across a displaced Pheasant and they are as close to wild as they can get. Not easy by any stretch especially in the heavy Grouse cover.  I don't come across many other hunters but then there are very few birds in these covers. I hope the program goes well and have very little compassion for the folks who will poach a few birds while claiming to be grouse, woodcock hunting if checked. 

Salt Creek GSP

I do not live in PA but would gladly pay $25 for the permit. I pay $28 a day for the opportunity to hunt put and take pheasants for 9 days. That is $252 worth of fun for me and my dogs. 

quailguy

Well I suppose this is as good a time to let it out: the wife wants to move back to PA to be near her family in NE PA. We are moving sometime in July and I will certainly pay a miserly $25 for the pheasant stamp. And that will be $$$ well spent. My senior license in Texas costs $32 bucks. And what that gives one is the opportunity to pay a private landowner to hunt and that costs a helluva lot more than $25 bucks.

I hope to meet some of the PA members in the near future. Let me know if any PA hunter needs a gunbearer or something!

terc

I haven't shot at a pheasant in three years, but I will buy a stamp this year. My dog and will need something to chase after Christmas now that the Grouse season has been shortened.

Grifish

I'll buy the stamp, although I'd rather by a grouse stamp for habitat and used for habitat.

forestdump

How many birds does the $25 tag let you take?