2018 UJ SUMMER SILENT AUCTION HAS LAUNCHED Read more... ×
Greg Hartman

Anybody buy their PA phez "stamp" yet?

ryanr

Actually the early high returns from Marcellus Shale were used to purchase more gamelands acres and also boosted the pheasant stocking numbers back up to what we enjoyed the last several years (if anyone recalls those numbers were down around 100,000 I believe before.) Gas prices have dropped and that means royalties have dried up as less gas is being sold (and less new gas drilled) due to the low prices and also PAs infrastructure for transporting this gas to market is not up to where it needs to be yet. The anti-gas tree hugger crowd is out there too protesting each proposed pipeline project, I'm sure you have seen or read about them, yes?

Crazy Horse

I realize that purchasing more land is a #1 priority with the PGC but, we currently have 1.5 + million acres that we cannot properly care for now. Adding more land only increases the problem of managing it for any species. There is no doubt the agency needs a license increase, long overdue. The last increase was in 1999 I believe. We also need better management of our existing Game Land acreage. Only just recently has the PGC coordinated with DCNR to improve the Grouse and Woodcock habitat. Their proposal is to improve some 1000 acres each year. Somebody do the math and tell me how long at that rate will it take to improve habitat on 1.5 million acres???

The agency already has a 30+ year proven plan for improving Grouse habitat. They've had it for decades and as yet have not acted on it. With some 38 Foresters and approximately 19 Biologists and a host of executives plus 8 Commissioners, if they issued each one a chain saw and a gallon of fuel and released them on a Game land in their vicinity for just a weekend they could execute a tremendous amount of habitat improvement and it wouldn't cost them a dime more than they already put out in salaries.

OK Brad, I'll let up and take a seat in the back of the bus. I'm out of bullets and nobody likes the blood letting, especially the PGC.

bwire

Got my license and pheasant permit this week.  I think it is well work it considering I'm a few hours away from marginal grouse cover.

quailguy
On 6/29/2017 at 0:16 PM, Greg Hartman said:

Having been the guy who was working 70+ hours/wk, I don't think this is fair to a guy who buys the same $25 phez permit I do, but can only hunt on some Saturdays - especially if he is dogless.  If he takes 3 or 4 birds in a season, he's had a good season.  

I think there should have been a phez tag system, so you get, for example, 4 phez tags for a $25 permit.  Then, if you use up your tags, you buy another permit.  I'd do that in a heartbeat.  Compared to what I pay per bird at my hunting club, that's a real bargain, plus you get to hunt  in vast and beautiful lands with miles and miles of great cover.  This would sorta level the playing field between a retired guy with good dogs who hunts just about every day vs. the young working guy.

Greg, you WERE that guy who could only hunt on Saturday for years; you paid for your current phez time and again.

IMHO one of the main reasons the Blame Commish sticks by the phez stocking program is hunter recruitment and hunter recruitment in the most populous area of the state. And,  to keep up the small game hunting tradition in part of PA. It is really too damn hard to actually kill grouse in PA. Numbers are the lowest since records began in 1955. A kid needs some action to keep up interest. Hell, an adult needs some action too. For years I hunted only on Saturday and I killed 9-10 phez a year. Then I began taking Fridays off and took home up to 10-16 phez a year. I had good dogs, GSPs, with great noses, great drive and they were very good retrievers. My dogs used to find 2-3 wounded birds a year.

IMHO its the guy who can shoot and who has good dogs who kills most of the phez in PA. Walk some, get back in back corners; there are normally birds there. From my observations years ago, somewhere about 60-75% of PA phez hunters were poor to very poor shots and very few had really good dogs. The guy who can shoot and has good dogs is the one who kills the birds, no matter if he only hunts on Saturday.  

braque du upstate

Pa puts out 10 times as much as new york. lousy programs; I'd pay , but understand why people are turned off. I watched the release trucks kick birds into a swamp on purpose. I've seen them set up " private hunts for cronies ". Couple years back my dog found a box of birds. My dog killed a limit before I could stop her. we get hold over birds. WE could have a breeding program.  the state has zero intrest. DEER, DUCK; AND  TURKEY . some years we do alright.  MOST years it's a dumpster fire.  Yahoo / combat hunting at it's worst.  weekdays after the opener can be respectable hunts. money was really tight for years. gas money and shells cut into grocery money . 

pheasent 89

I cant wait to purshase it. Did not go last year due to certain situations. But it it is money well spent. Only wished they did this years ago!

quailguy
On 6/30/2017 at 3:10 PM, Crazy Horse said:

Somebody do the math and tell me how long at that rate will it take to improve habitat on 1.5 million acres???

At improving 1,000 ac a year that would be 1,500 years. 

I remember watching some PA outdoor show many years ago in which a PA biologist remarked that a "crow would have to pack a lunch to cross a gameland."

Unfortunately that seems to still be the case. 

ryanr
On 7/2/2017 at 3:01 PM, quailguy said:

At improving 1,000 ac a year that would be 1,500 years. 

I remember watching some PA outdoor show many years ago in which a PA biologist remarked that a "crow would have to pack a lunch to cross a gameland."

Unfortunately that seems to still be the case. 

Makes no sense, unless you meant a crow would have to pack a lunch in order to cross all the gamelands combined. Or is this crow crawling thru that gameland, unable to fly?

And since when is having a wealth of public lands devoted to hunting an unfortunate?

DAP
On 6/30/2017 at 4:10 PM, Crazy Horse said:

We also need better management of our existing Game Land acreage. Only just recently has the PGC coordinated with DCNR to improve the Grouse and Woodcock habitat. Their proposal is to improve some 1000 acres each year. Somebody do the math and tell me how long at that rate will it take to improve habitat on 1.5 million acres???

The agency already has a 30+ year proven plan for improving Grouse habitat. They've had it for decades and as yet have not acted on it. With some 38 Foresters and approximately 19 Biologists and a host of executives plus 8 Commissioners, if they issued each one a chain saw and a gallon of fuel and released them on a Game land in their vicinity for just a weekend they could execute a tremendous amount of habitat improvement and it wouldn't cost them a dime more than they already put out in salaries.

The DCNR and 1000 acres per year mentioned is not improvements to State Game Lands (SGL), it is from the Pennsylvania Game Commission (PGC) grouse biologist working with DCNR to create Early Successional Habitat (ESH) on DCNR land (state forest & state parks).  There are 2.2 million acres of state forest and 200,000 acres of state parks in addition to the 1.5 million acres of game lands and 500,000 acres of National forest.  

The PGC is creating about 10,000 acres a year in ESH through logging and controlled burns, but that is still way short of what should be done as specified  in the grouse management plan. The "extra" 1000 acres the DCNR is in addition to the standard logging they are doing.  I couldn't find numbers on how much State Forest land is logged each year, but it was considerable in the few I've visited.   Much more than was being done on State Game Lands.  

Curt

I haven't bought a PA license or pheasant stamp yet for this coming season.  If it looks like I'll have time to hunt in PA this year I'll certainly buy one but I'm traditionally late buying my license, usually October.  Pre season plans have me hunting else where from Sept through mid Nov. right now.  I think it's good they finally have a scheme to offset at least some of the cost of their put and take pheasant program.  That could, I stress 'could' free up a few dollars for habitat work for other species (grouse & woodcock), something PA desperately needs.

Don Steese

I bought my license around the 10th and I was only the 4th guy to buy a permit at the local sporting goods store.  I guess it'll separate the serious pheasant hunters from the rest of the crowd?  Couple guys hanging out in the store were definitely anti PGC. Bitching about paying $6 for a regulation book and really carping about $25 for a pheasant stamp. They found it a bit hard to believe I supported the permit and nearly called the guys in the white suits when they found out I bought a permit and have no plans to hunt pheasants in Pennsylvania!:D

Tim Frazier

My problem is just in my head. (not surprising)  I know two guys who shoot about 60 pheasants a year, another maybe 30.  So basically I'm paying my $25 to shoot 6-8 birds while these poultry terminators fill the freezer.  FWIW all three of these guys I love to death and value them dearly as friends.  They just have jobs that let them hunt about every day and they own great dogs.  Still.....argh!