Jump to content
2018 UJ SUMMER SILENT AUCTION HAS LAUNCHED Read more... ×
dogrunner

The Teams Shooting good.

Recommended Posts

dogrunner

This year Mi had a youth School trap league for the first time. We have kids from several school districts so a few kids had to shoot for other schools. We had 2 different Schools that shot out of our club. It was good because it brought in new shooters that have never shot and we got a few girls that had never tried it before. They did great in the 10 week league and also just shot in the State tournament. This young man shot his personal best running his first 100 and ending with a 197, one target from beating the best adult  

IMG_1648.JPG

IMG_1649.JPG

IMG_2214.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sdspringer49

That great. Love the young man's "IH" cap too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dogrunner
16 hours ago, sdspringer49 said:

That great. Love the young man's "IH" cap too. 

Yep but he's not a farmer. He actually is heading to the U.P. For college in a couple months. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dogrunner

We also had 6 shooters that made the top 25 in the State. 

IMG_2313.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sdspringer49

I just think this is cool. There are some high school trap teams showing up around South Dakota too. What a neat thing.... wish we would have had that option years ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
KerryLuft

John, any idea of how many of these kids stick with shooting after leaving high school?  In my experience, many young guns walk away once Mom and Dad no longer bankroll their hobbies.  They still like to shoot, just can't afford the time and monetary outlay.

 

I don't think there's a solution for that -- just hope that they come back to the sport when time and funds allow.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dogrunner

Kerry, I have been with the Team for 9 years.  We mostly shoot in the AIM program which through that system then can compete till 23 years old. We have only had a couple stick around that long. From my knowledge only 1 that aged out  still register targets.  We did have a girl that moved on and was trying to make the USA Bunker team not sure if she ever did because they moved and daddy had a good bank roll. We lose most of them after graduation from High School to work, college or girls. The few that stay in the area might still shoot at our club but I think that is about it. Either because of money or just find other interest. Now that the schools have a program  and I think it is a lettered sport hopefully  we will get more interest. They are also having a School Fall league for 6 weeks not sure how much interest it will get with all the other sports in the mix. I can only get a couple to shoot skeet with me, a few shoot our crappy little sporting course and they enjoy that so maybe in the future they will continue on with some kind of shooting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dogrunner

This was our best shooter, not sure if he will return next year since he graduated. 

IMG_1889.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dogrunner
11 hours ago, sdspringer49 said:

I just think this is cool. There are some high school trap teams showing up around South Dakota too. What a neat thing.... wish we would have had that option years ago.

Yep, I wish it was a school sport many moons back, I would have been interested to try it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
KerryLuft
4 hours ago, dogrunner said:

Kerry, I have been with the Team for 9 years.  We mostly shoot in the AIM program which through that system then can compete till 23 years old. We have only had a couple stick around that long. From my knowledge only 1 that aged out  still register targets.  We did have a girl that moved on and was trying to make the USA Bunker team not sure if she ever did because they moved and daddy had a good bank roll. We lose most of them after graduation from High School to work, college or girls. The few that stay in the area might still shoot at our club but I think that is about it. Either because of money or just find other interest. Now that the schools have a program  and I think it is a lettered sport hopefully  we will get more interest. They are also having a School Fall league for 6 weeks not sure how much interest it will get with all the other sports in the mix. I can only get a couple to shoot skeet with me, a few shoot our crappy little sporting course and they enjoy that so maybe in the future they will continue on with some kind of shooting. 

 

I think you have just summed up the challenge of viewing youth shooting programs as "the future."  Those kids are the future, but the future is likely 20-25 years from now when they have a little more money and a little more free time and want to come back to the sport.   I'm all for this, of course, but if you want people to join your gun club and start shooting tomorrow, the target demographic is mostly men aged 40 and up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dogrunner

We put 50 to 125 kids through the program depending on the year. I have only seen a few dads shoot and  only seen 1 mom shoot, so once the kid ages out there is not much to keep them interested. Our club has between 300/400 members but I would say most are over 40 just like you said. Only problem is the newer one's joining are usually not shotgun shooters, more rifle, pistol, bow. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hub

I love to see the boom of youth Trap shooting at the high school level.  I love it even more as I know the guy who basically caused the boom. He is Jim Sable, and I used to shoot skeet with him every Wednesday.  Here is a single person who enacted a huge change on his own because he took a look around and decided there wasn't enough young folks interested in shooting.

 

The Birth of High School Trap

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
KerryLuft

It is a remarkable story, particularly in Minnesota.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sxsneubaum

Good stuff John.  They will come back around to shooting as they get older. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dogrunner
3 hours ago, Hub said:

I love to see the boom of youth Trap shooting at the high school level.  I love it even more as I know the guy who basically caused the boom. He is Jim Sable, and I used to shoot skeet with him every Wednesday.  Here is a single person who enacted a huge change on his own because he took a look around and decided there wasn't enough young folks interested in shooting.

 

The Birth of High School Trap

Nice to see how it has progressed. Also like to see them shooting semi-autos wish more of our kids would try them, I get tired of watching them get pounded by over/unders and then they tell me it doesn't hurt. After shooting my 390 for the last month, I forgot how soft shooting a auto felt, no more shoulder and neck pain. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×