REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
WI Outdoor Nut

Tritronics G3

WI Outdoor Nut

I am starting to wonder if my battery and range are getting to be limited due to age of this unit.  I am taking a stab that it is around 9 or 10 years old.  Has been a great unit, but when I go to nick my dogs at a longer range, I am getting no response from them.  When I test it with transmitter and receiver in hand, I feel the nick.  Thinking I should send to collar clinic for testing, but seeing if anyone on here has other thoughts?

On an electrical theory level, absolutely. 

9 or 10 years old and I'd just replace it. 

marjolein

Yes replace it, that's what we've done too and it's good as new.

WI Outdoor Nut

Assuming, just replace the batteries, right?  Both the receiver and transmitter?  Easy to do I am assuming?

Hub

As long as Tritronics/Garmin is still creating the battery pack.  They have had a little game in the last few years where they just quit making batteries so you are forced to replace the unit.  I am pretty sure that was G2 stuff not G3 though.

3 hours ago, WI Outdoor Nut said:

Assuming, just replace the batteries, right?  Both the receiver and transmitter?  Easy to do I am assuming?

Either.

Batteries are really the only significant wear item, but...

DonT

I am also still using a 10 + year old Tritronics G3 mine still works although rarely gets activated. I almost always keep my receivers on a charger, then every 3/6 months I will let them drain all the way down.  Keeping an eye on how long this takes (hold a charge test), somewhere around several days, lets me know the condition of the batteries.  Along with the hold a charge test, I will test output after several days, when its weak. Looking to see if activating the receiver kills it too quickly.  

I think I will buy an Alpha this fall but I will keep the G3 until it dies.  Like others have said charge/change out the batteries.  I think it's a good idea to work the switches every once and a while, to keep them clean.  Do a test yourself, first, get someone to walk out to a similar range that you are having problems and do the receiver in hand test.   You could communicate with a cell phone or just dial it up and listen to the scream. 

Irishwhistler

Do yeself a real favor and go with Dogtra for better all around customer support.

Irishwhistler?

Working a switch doesn't clean it, it's just wear. 

marjolein
8 hours ago, Irishwhistler said:

Do yeself a real favor and go with Dogtra for better all around customer support.

Irishwhistler?

Maybe, but after having owned several Dogtra's, I really prefer the Tritronics collars for distance, battery life, reliability and I've been using this set for so long already, still works wonders. I have 2 complete sets of Dogtra's that I'm never using anymore. In the end, it was a complete waste of money. 

dogrunner
4 hours ago, marjolein said:

Maybe, but after having owned several Dogtra's, I really prefer the Tritronics collars for distance, battery life, reliability and I've been using this set for so long already, still works wonders. I have 2 complete sets of Dogtra's that I'm never using anymore. In the end, it was a complete waste of money. 

Hmm just the opposite for me. 

WI Outdoor Nut
15 hours ago, Irishwhistler said:

Irishwhistler?

Certainly appreciate your POV, but want to make sure I am coming across clear.  I am not disappointed in my tri-tronics.  Actually just the opposite.  This is my second unit (sold the 1st one and it was still going strong after 15 years) in 25 years.  Other than batteries, never had a problem.  For any type of electronics, especially ones that take this kind of abuse (I also duck hunt with them and they get soaked), they have lasted as long or longer than my expectations. 

When I was first involved with dogs, I joined NAVHDA and they were a sponsor.  So I supported TT and have not looked back.  Can't speak to Dogtra one way or another if bad or good FWIW.

msuhunter

I have both TT G3 and Dogtra 2500 TB. I like both and have had zero issues with either. If your unit is 10 years old it might be time for new batteries. I haven't had to change them in any units yet so don't know how difficult a task it is. Call Collar Clinic in Traverse City Michigan and talk with them. They will tell you if you can do it yourself they are great to work with. I bought 2 extra T3 collars, transmitter, charger, and TT beeper off a site for a good price and when they need batteries I will do business with Collar Clinic. I just watched 2 videos on Youtube on changing the batteries on G3 collar and transmitter. Piece of cake you can do it. I would replace both collar and transmitter at same time. Good Luck.

mccuha
On 7/19/2017 at 1:32 PM, Hub said:

As long as Tritronics/Garmin is still creating the battery pack.  They have had a little game in the last few years where they just quit making batteries so you are forced to replace the unit.  I am pretty sure that was G2 stuff not G3 though.

I had the same problem. Battery pack went obsolete. Went to battery plus on a hunch and they made me a battery pack just like the old one.  Works great