Tres

Feed before the hunt

Tres

How do you guys feed before you go hunting? I don't feed the day of hunting however I feed the night before. I usually give his normal feeding of Pro Plan Performance 30/20 but add an egg and some coconut oil for extra protein and all the extra good stuff coconut oil brings. 

I know some guys that give their dogs snacks mid day while hunting. What are your thoughts on that?

DocE

It takes about 12 to 16 hours for food to enter the mouth and come out the other end.

You can test this by giving your dog some whole kernel corn and see how long it takes to show up in the poop.

So, I give our dogs a Large meal (3/4 of the daily ration) the night before a hunt or a big training session  and 1/4 of the daily ration the morning of the hunt.

Unless your dog has a problem with blood sugar, there is no reason to give the dog snacks during the hunt.

Mundo

I don't feed the morning of the hunt.  If the dogs are going to hunt in the afternoon they get a sardine or small mackerel (high protein) and a handful of dry food.  A limited amount of food--a snack won't hurt the dog.  It is the big meals that are likely to screw the up. 

MNice
17 minutes ago, Mundo said:

I don't feed the morning of the hunt.  If the dogs are going to hunt in the afternoon they get a sardine or small mackerel (high protein) and a handful of dry food.  A limited amount of food--a snack won't hurt the dog.  It is the big meals that are likely to screw the up. 

X2

Ray Gubernat

It is an unnecessary risk to feed a dog in the morning prior to strenuous exercise like hunting.  Do not do that.

Having food in their stomach  DRAMATICALLY increases the probablilty of stomach torsion...which is an absolutely deadly condition.  The more food...the greater the risk. 

BTW stomach torsion is not at all uncommon in shorthairs and...( I believe) labs.  It is a killer.

If you need to give your dog anything at all in the morning before a hunt...give the dog water...plain water.

Dogs can and do go without food for 24 to 48 hours.  If the dog is not properly conditioned and does not have sufficient fat reserves already built up...whatever you give them in the morning won't help and mighty actually slow the dog down.

Think about it...What does a dog do when it first starts to ?  Nine times out of ten the dog runs for two minutes(or less) and then stops to empty out before continuing to run.

if you stop for lunch and will be stopped for an hour or more, you can give the dog something with high nutritive value like sardines in oil or  some fatty meat, but let the dog rest quietly and digest until the food is past the stomach...I suggest at least an hour.

RayG

Cooter Brown

The gist of the studies I've seen (some were linked here at UJ) indicate that a dog's digestive system and use of fat (where a dog best gets its endurance and energy) are such that it doesn't get full benefits from the food until as much as 15-24 hours after consumption.

As Ray said, there are no upsides to feeding before a hunt, only downsides.  The food you give a dog in the morning does it very little good that day, and might very well do a lot of harm.  Feed as soon as you can after a dog has cooled down after the hunt.

As far as during a hunt, I've been known to slip a dog a bite or two of a Clif bar at lunch...

River19

Always an interesting discussion.

I have always fed their normal small morning portion (which is wet down normally).......I've done it both ways, food and no food.  There are pros and cons for me to break their normal routine as well.

I may start trying to shift to a night only feeding starting late summer as we head into the season and see how they do on that.

During a hunting day, especially if it is hot I will use the Doggie electrolyte tabs in their water.....

Cooter Brown
1 hour ago, River19 said:

Always an interesting discussion.

I have always fed their normal small morning portion (which is wet down normally).......I've done it both ways, food and no food.  There are pros and cons for me to break their normal routine as well.

I may start trying to shift to a night only feeding starting late summer as we head into the season and see how they do on that.

During a hunting day, especially if it is hot I will use the Doggie electrolyte tabs in their water.....

Nice to see an old familiar name around here--there's a recent thread about UJers who don't come around much anymore.  Hope to see more from you and some hunt reports this fall!

dogrunner

Feed at night with some water in it, usually nothing the next day, except glyocharge, maybe some sardines if I need to use that dog more for that day.

Tres

Thanks for the replies guys. I have never heard the the sardine snacks before. I used to give a few bites of the pro plan bars they used to make during our lunch break while on a hunt but that's it.  I will continue feeding at night however I may add a little water to his food  

Remo

Same as Mundo, I don't ever feed in the morning. We are tuckered out after a few hours hunting, me, not the dogs, so they will get a snack of hot dogs or oil-sardines on the way back. 

Cooter Brown

Mmmmm...sardine breath!

UplandHntr

If my dog wasnt used to sardines etc theres no way Im giving them something new on a trip. Dont need them getting the schitts .

i stick to the normal routine of twice a day feeding but shifting most of it to pm feeding. 

DocE
5 hours ago, River19 said:

For what reason ?
Dogs don't sweat (except miniscule amounts from their feet)  and thus don't lose electrolytes.

River19
1 minute ago, DocE said:

For what reason ?
Dogs don't sweat (except miniscule amounts from their feet)  and thus don't lose electrolytes.

Because I have a few tablets left and they taste like shit to me, so I figured I might as well use the them for the intended audience.......

Honestly......they have always drank more with the Rehydrate tabs in their water than without during the hunting day.......especially the Setter......but he's a setter, so there is that......