Tres

Feed before the hunt

UplandHntr

Oh and Id rather eat dog food than a sardine in oil.. why is this even produced????

dogrunner

Dogs get shitz from different water as much as they do from food. 

Mundo

I use the sardine and mackerel snack because it is high fat, high protein and cheap.  

Never had a problem with the runs from the sardines. You are more likely to have this happen with bad water which can be pretty hard to avoid in the field. 

I started doing this after a hyperglycemia incident.  Vet advised it--sed try a strip of bacon, a sardine or some soft dog food. 

DocE
8 hours ago, Mundo said:

I use the sardine and mackerel snack because it is high fat, high protein and cheap.  

Never had a problem with the runs from the sardines. You are more likely to have this happen with bad water which can be pretty hard to avoid in the field. 

I started doing this after a hyperglycemia incident.  Vet advised it--sed try a strip of bacon, a sardine or some soft dog food. 

I think you meant to say Hypoglycemia, not Hyperglycemia.

Clueless1

My dogs have mostly always had a feeding in the morning and a feeding in the evening.  When hunting they skip the morning feeding and get as much as they will eat in the evening after hunting.  Since it's always been kibble when we are out west and they are going to be hunting multiple days I always throw 'something special' in with it to get them to eat. 

Anytime we hunt they seem to get the s***s for a while no matter what I do.

Mundo
3 hours ago, DocE said:

I think you meant to say Hypoglycemia, not Hyperglycemia.

You r right,  Blame it on spell check.

Don Steese

I feed twice a day throughout the year but during hunting season it's once in late afternoon/evening. 1 hot dog immediately after  leaving the field. I normally feed dry, but will add water during hunting season because hydration is so important!   May this year try sardines. Had a Texas dog guy, who knew EVERYTHING about everything,( he was a true TEXAN!) tell me that a dead dog would rise from the grave for a can of sardines??   Mabel wouldn't eat em' but I'm gonna try them again!!

h8brick

I will take the ones in mustard!!!!

dogrunner
On 7/22/2017 at 11:10 PM, Clueless1 said:

My dogs have mostly always had a feeding in the morning and a feeding in the evening.  When hunting they skip the morning feeding and get as much as they will eat in the evening after hunting.  Since it's always been kibble when we are out west and they are going to be hunting multiple days I always throw 'something special' in with it to get them to eat. 

Anytime we hunt they seem to get the s***s for a while no matter what I do.

Sometimes when dogs run and heat up they get the chits. 

Urban_Redneck

Watch the salt in hotdogs and canned fish- no more than 1 hot dog or a small tin of sardines per wagging tail.

Brookieslayer

hello everyone,

I feed most of the food at night, dogs get the biggest benefit from the evening meal 12 to 15 hours after eating.

In the morning they get a glycogen supplement baited with a very small amount of food to force them to eat (drink) the glycogen. I try to give this 2 hours before hunting. 

I also give a supplement to them at lunch if it is particularly hot or a very big running morning. That is also baited with a small amount of food if required.

I also feed a 65% FAT 30% protein supplement in the evening on top of the regular 30/ 20 food, about a 1/4 cup per 50# of dog.

This is just my .02 based on some nutrition discussions with a K9 doc.

Hope this adds to the discussion.

https://www.elements.dog/

oh and Brad may delete this if it is not allowed...  I also use their J product 

Curt

For years now I've changed the feeding schedule of my dogs for the hunting season beginning about two weeks before the season begins.  In the off season we feed about 7 am and again at 4pm, dividing the daily intake in half for each feeding.  Hunting season we feed at about 5pm and again at 11pm dividing the daily intake in half at each feeding.

RuffChaser

Our dogs are free eaters. They get fed in the evening all year round. They actually are very good at self-regulating. In the peak of summer when they aren't exercised as much they eat less but do sometimes eat in the morning. It is a pain come hunting season. They are usually so tired from a hunt they don't want to eat. Because they are used to eating when they want I am forced to top their food with something to encourage them. Usually it's a portion of canned dog food. I give them 1/3 of a can and mix it with their dry food. Since I have three dogs I go through a can a night but will do the same thing the night before I leave for the hunt to make sure they have eaten a good meal.

Cass

I feed like normal the evening before.  I don't even give extra.  In the past I thought it was a good idea when I knew it would be a longer hunt than normal but it only slows the dog down and impedes performance.  The poor animal just ends up going to the bathroom more.   I focus on the meal after a hard day - I feed more and add good protein/fat sources like eggs and sardines to aid in recovery.  

tut

I feed my dogs every morning 1/2 their daily rations unless I'm running them.  In that case nada breakfast only an evening meal.  On hunting days I only feed in the evening after the hunt is over and I add about half a container of Sardines in Oil mixed with their food.  FWIW, 2 cups of food per day year round.