FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Tres

Feed before the hunt

Dakotazeb

Dogs run cooler, larder and longer on an empty stomach.  Nothing in the morning. Only late afternoon or early evening and be sure to wait at least an hour after strenuous exercise.

braque du upstate

Dead dogs suck. Watch a dog die from stomach torsion one time , and then ramble on about why it's a good idea to feed " extra " . It doesn't get any easier, feed once in the evening.  Done  , dogs Haven't changed.  

Kansas Big Dog
On 7/21/2017 at 7:49 PM, Cooter Brown said:

Mmmmm...sardine breath!

Yours or the dogs ?  :D

Kansas Big Dog
17 minutes ago, braque du upstate said:

Dead dogs suck. Watch a dog die from stomach torsion one time , and then ramble on about why it's a good idea to feed " extra " . It doesn't get any easier, feed once in the evening.  Done  , dogs Haven't changed.  

I have always just fed my dogs once every evening. I do feed my pups twice a day until they get in the running rotation. During the hunting season, if they are running in cold and or wet conditions, I will put a couple table spoons of vegetable oil on the kibble instead of more kibble. Dog food is well balanced and if you only need to increase calories, just add more calories. 

john mcg

I don't do well with strenuous exercise after a meal, but after settling down--I'm pretty hungry afterwards and then sleep comes easier.

fourtrax57
On 7/21/2017 at 7:49 PM, Cooter Brown said:

Mmmmm...sardine breath!

Better than "Recycling" breath.

tut
On 7/21/2017 at 7:01 PM, Tres said:

Thanks for the replies guys. I have never heard the the sardine snacks before. I used to give a few bites of the pro plan bars they used to make during our lunch break while on a hunt but that's it.  I will continue feeding at night however I may add a little water to his food  

Wish they still made those bars.  My pup has had a few sugar issues in the last few years.  She never had one when I gave her about half of one of those bars about 2 hours into a hunt.  Can't believe they quit making them.