• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
OceanRoamer

Could this be a Turkey track?

OceanRoamer

Came across this last weekend. I'm thinking it's a Turkey track....which, if true, is kind of exciting since this is located on Vandenberg AFB on the California Central Coast.

IMG_2114.JPG

OceanRoamer

Another set.

IMG_2113.JPG

dogrunner

Looks like it to me. But its hard to tell because of the size. 

vabirddog

First looks like Heron, second like turkey. If the rear toe shows in any it is for sure Heron.

mister grouse

heron

Treerooster

Something to relate size would be helpful.

The rear toe of a turkey will show if the ground it walks on is soft enough and deep enough. Shows up most commonly in snow, but soft sand or mud can show it also. The rear toe of a turkey will be off to one side (the inside) and usually not dead center behind the track.

A heron is a bit longer or narrower looking overall. Slightly bigger too. These tracks appear somewhat blocky though.

Hard for me to tell from the pic.

mister grouse

Herons  are anisodactyl, which is defined by a foot in which 3 toes are pointed forward and 1 is pointed backward. To me the picture shows a rear toe pointed backward.  But Treerooster makes a good point, as the picture is not super clear.  I see many heron and turkey tracks almost daily while fishing in summer and feel pretty confident that long heron rear toe is what is portrayed in the photo.

OceanRoamer

Thanks all. There are herons around. Saw one gobble down a ground squirrel one morning...but that's another story. Most likely the tracks were made by a heron. There are turkeys nearby in the Los Padres NF...so I was excited to think they may have found there way to VAFB.

Thanks again.

EB&Me

Looks like a vulture to me, hard to call from the pic.