• Announcements

• Brad Eden

2018 UJ SUMMER AUCTION   06/23/2018

It's time....to start thinking about and preparing for the 2018 UJ SUMMER AUCTION. This Auction has become a UJ Tradition, with loads of great gear donated by our Ad Sponsors and Membership. Items range from Upland vests...Birddog gear...hunting and fishing trips...silver engraved money clips...custom knives, to great food products. I will be starting to contact Upland Ad Sponsors and Members, and will start the dedicated Auction Forum soon. I will include links to past Auctions so Members get an idea of what's typically available to bid on, and to see if they have anything they would like to offer for bidding. Stay tuned!
gaberdeen

Maine 2018 October UJ possible gathering

American plan vs Housekeeping  

17 members have voted

1. 1. American plan vs housekeeping plan

• American plan includes meals possible guide service for those who want
    • Housekeeping plan. You provide your own food.

gaberdeen

Reading the topic of a possible UJ gathering that Brad posted a few years ago got me wanting to possibly put something together for a October 2018 gathering in Grand Lake Stream, Maine. I have looked at 3 places for this possible happening. 1. Canal side cabins (rates roughly 45.00 per person per night. Housekeeping plan. You do all your own cooking) 2. Weatherby's ( American plan about 230.00 a night which includes all your meals or Housekkeeping plan which is about 70.00 a night) 3. Leens Lodge ( American plan 165.00 a night and housekeeping about 355 per person for a week) Myself I am leaning towards Canalside cabins just for the ease of booking. I emailed them and they are dog friendly but dogs must be on a leash while in camp or in Town. The dates I have in mind are from Sunday Oct 14th tru Sat Oct 20th. We can always adjust shorter if a week is too long for some who would be attending. I've never hunted this area but I've heard from reliable sources there's plenty of areas to hunt and birds are there. Give me your thoughts and let's see if we can make this happen.

gunsrus

In !

gaberdeen
2 hours ago, gunsrus said:

In !

There was never any doubt in my mind!

tut

Where might the canal cabins be located?  Inquiring minds want to know. :)

hayslope
7 minutes ago, tut said:

Where might the canal cabins be located?  Inquiring minds want to know. :)

Grand Lake Stream

Brad Eden

I know Jeff who owns Weatherby's at Grand Lake Stream and have been talking to him about this type event for a couple-few years and just recently. The reason it never took off is I don't have the time and resources to organize it myself. But if others want to help then it can happen in 2018 if Weatherby's is chosen. My camp is 1/2 hr from Grand Lake Stream and I'm spending considerable time there this August to replace sills, floor etc. I'll likely be seeing Jeff at Weatherby's during that time. But I don't want to stand in the way of a UJ Get Together at a different venue either.

Andy

Sounds tempting, however I am probably way to lazy to even look into the regulations of crossing the border with a firearm.

Brad Eden
1 hour ago, Andy said:

Sounds tempting, however I am probably way to lazy to even look into the regulations of crossing the border with a firearm.

Ive done it from this side (Calais, ME crossing) 3-4 times to bird hunt. With dogs too. Much to do about not much, unless things have changed in the last few years. There are old posts somewhere with the the steps.

delahunter834

Sound good Gary depends on how we do in the UP this year.

Maybe I can borrow some money from polékitty and could do both

salmontogue

My "camp" is on West Grand Lake in Grand Lake Stream Plantation.  I've owned the camp for over thirty years and know all the local sporting camps along with the owners, employees and most of the registered guides.  There is a wide variety of locations, facilities and pricing.  There are at least six more choices in addition to the three mentioned.

It would be helpful to know what the likely participants see as their own "ideal" choices.  Do you want to be on the water?  Do you want all your meals provided or would you prefer to prepare your own meals?  Do you prefer basic, better or deluxe cabins?  How many per cabin? How many dogs will you bring?  It would help to know how many might participate.  The numbers may determine the best choices.

I'm certain that a group deal can be negotiated.  Most Maine sporting camps are struggling.  Hunting and fishing are excellent in this area but fewer families are taking outback vacations for a variety of reasons.

Perk

River19

Hmmmmmmmm

gaberdeen
1 hour ago, River19 said:

Hmmmmmmmm

Not Hmmmmm. You better come!

gaberdeen
3 hours ago, salmontogue said:

My "camp" is on West Grand Lake in Grand Lake Stream Plantation.  I've owned the camp for over thirty years and know all the local sporting camps along with the owners, employees and most of the registered guides.  There is a wide variety of locations, facilities and pricing.  There are at least six more choices in addition to the three mentioned.

It would be helpful to know what the likely participants see as their own "ideal" choices.  Do you want to be on the water?  Do you want all your meals provided or would you prefer to prepare your own meals?  Do you prefer basic, better or deluxe cabins?  How many per cabin? How many dogs will you bring?  It would help to know how many might participate.  The numbers may determine the best choices.

I'm certain that a group deal can be negotiated.  Most Maine sporting camps are struggling.  Hunting and fishing are excellent in this area but fewer families are taking outback vacations for a variety of reasons.

Perk

I'll try and put up a poll to see what those who would be interested in attending would prefer. Another option is possibly splitting a group between camps as I understand some of them are close by each other. This would accommodate both preferences. Maybe a group dinner hosted at one or the other. Just some preliminary thoughts.