• Announcements

• Brad Eden

WELCOME NEW UJ MEMBERS   06/25/2017

It seems the word is out and UJ is enjoying a steady stream of newly Registered Members. Welcome to all of you, and we are all looking forward to your positive participation. I strongly suggest you review the Board Guidelines that have been in place since 2002. The most significant thing being that UJ is a NO POLITICS BOARD. LInk:  UJ BOARD GUIDELINES   Also UJ stays afloat mainly through Member Donations. Once a Donation is made you are placed in the Contributing Member Group with extra Priviliges. I am getting very few new Donations so hopefully this will spur that on a bit. Link:  New Members/Donations/Priviliges
Flairball

Ribs!!

Flairball

It's been years since I put any effort into smoking some ribs, but they were on sale at BJ's, so......

Nothing special; mustard, store bought dry rub, store bought sauce (which I cut with cider vinegar), and applewood chips. I don't have a smoker, so I did them in the kettle grill. The grill ran a bit hot, so the thickest end was a wee bit dry, but just a wee bit, not terrible. They cooked in 3 hours. Next time I'll use about 1/3 less coals, only fire about 5-6 coals to get the rest going more slowly, and add a second pan with water for moisture. Hopefully that'll keep the grill a bit cooler and cook them slower. 

IMG_4816.JPG

IMG_4817.JPG

IMG_4818.JPG

btomlin

Google "hot and fast ribs".  I cook mine indirect at full heat in my weber kettle for 1.5 hr or so and they are delicious with wood of choice on the grate over coals.  Are they as good as when I put in the smoker with the 3-2-1 method???  No, but I can have a set ready for dinner on a work night and don't have to spend a saturday cooking them the 3-2-1 method.

Give it a try.

Your ribs look good btw!

Don Steese

They look Goooood!

Big Al

Ribs are on my favorite list.  Those look good.

mshowman

Looks great! 

The only ribs I've ever tried to smoke are venison and they ended up in the trash. 

Treerooster

I cook ribs in a pressure cooker (@10 lbs for 20 minutes) and then put on the grill to finish off with barbecue sauce. Results in great tasting and very juicy ribs, not dry at all.

Flairball
1 hour ago, btomlin said:

Google "hot and fast ribs".  I cook mine indirect at full heat in my weber kettle for 1.5 hr or so and they are delicious with wood of choice on the grate over coals.  Are they as good as when I put in the smoker with the 3-2-1 method???  No, but I can have a set ready for dinner on a work night and don't have to spend a saturday cooking them the 3-2-1 method.

Give it a try.

Your ribs look good btw!

I probably cooked them in a similar manner, but just more slowly.  I used the indirect heat method. I piled unlit coals along one side of the grill, dropped about a dozen lit coals on top of them, then put the smoke box on top of the pile. I put a boxing pan with water directly over the coals on the grate, then put the ribs on the grate on the opposite side of the grill with the vent directly over them to create a flow path which brought the smoke towards the ribs. 

I'll check out your method. 

Brad Eden

Drooling.

Ben Hong

With the Big Green Egg, I can do meats any which way I want to. I am not a big fan of the "fall off the bone tender" school. I want some back pressure when I bite into meat, especially back ribs.  Btomlin has the right idea. Good looking ribs, flairball!

dogrunner

They look good, I don't really like sauce on mine, when done right they don't need it. 

Flairball
51 minutes ago, dogrunner said:

They look good, I don't really like sauce on mine, when done right they don't need it. 

I've got to say I agree with you. I use sauce very sparingly. But, I love a bit of vinegar on my pork. Years ago I made my own dry rub, and never sauced my ribs. Having used a store bought rub I thought I'd lightly sauce them. I cut my sauce with quite a bit of cider vinegar, so it was light, and runny, but with the right bit of tangyness. I'll be digging out my old dry rub recipe, and forgoing the sauce in the future. 

walt lister

NOOOO! Stop! I'm on a diet.

Rob R
3 hours ago, walt lister said:

NOOOO! Stop! I'm on a diet.

No no, keep going... I'm not on a diet!  Yum.  

Birdcountry70
On 8/3/2017 at 8:30 AM, Treerooster said:

I cook ribs in a pressure cooker (@10 lbs for 20 minutes) and then put on the grill to finish off with barbecue sauce. Results in great tasting and very juicy ribs, not dry at all.

I was skeptical when my wife cooked ribs in the preassure cooker last week but I'm a believer now.  They were excellent.