Flairball

Ribs!!

K9_206

Look great! I smoke a lot of ribs on my Louisiana Grill.  I have learned to cut the rack in half so youn can rotate them easier around a hot spot in the grill/smoker.  They cook more evenly. A favorite recipe you should try are Maple Glazed ribs by Steve Raichlen.  

https://www.cookstr.com/recipes/maple-glazed-ribs

dogrunner

Here's some I did. Honey mustard on first then my tub. 

IMG_8959.JPG

IMG_8962.JPG

K9_206
27 minutes ago, dogrunner said:

Here's some I did. Honey mustard on first then my tub. 

IMG_8959.JPG

IMG_8962.JPG

Green Egg Smoker?

After seeing ribs I decided they sounded good for dinner. 2 racks of maple glaze are on the smoker. The glaze is done on the stove. 

K9_206

By the way, nice smoke ring on your ribs dogrunner!!

sneem

If you put sauce on the ribs while cooking, don't bother smoking them. The sauce only forms a shield that keeps the smoke from entering the meat. It might flavor the sauce but will never get to the meat. Also if smoking them be sure to strip off the membrane on the inner side. It too forms a shield against the smoke getting to the meat on that side. I just use a dry rub and smoke them at low heat for about four hours over charcoal, oak and apple wood. When done, I take them off the heat, set them aside and wrap them in aluminum foil for about 30 minutes. It allows the moisture and smoke flavor to spread throughout the ribs. Done this way with a good rub, you don't need sauce. It will only cover the taste of the meat, rub and smoke.

dogrunner
2 hours ago, K9_206 said:

Green Egg Smoker?

After seeing ribs I decided they sounded good for dinner. 2 racks of maple glaze are on the smoker. The glaze is done on the stove. 

Nope this. Ribs sound good wish I had time for a rack. 

IMG_2859.JPG

K9_206
2 hours ago, dogrunner said:

Nope this. Ribs sound good wish I had time for a rack. 

IMG_2859.JPG

That's the first time I have seen one of those.  Bet it works nice.  Finished my ribs.  The family and I enjoyed!

I agree with Sneed about smoking with not smoking with sauce on.  That's why I put sauce on after hours of smoking.  You can still taste the smoke and it has a nice smoke ring.

20170808_165604.jpg

Flairball
16 hours ago, sneem said:

If you put sauce on the ribs while cooking, don't bother smoking them. The sauce only forms a shield that keeps the smoke from entering the meat. It might flavor the sauce but will never get to the meat. Also if smoking them be sure to strip off the membrane on the inner side. It too forms a shield against the smoke getting to the meat on that side. I just use a dry rub and smoke them at low heat for about four hours over charcoal, oak and apple wood. When done, I take them off the heat, set them aside and wrap them in aluminum foil for about 30 minutes. It allows the moisture and smoke flavor to spread throughout the ribs. Done this way with a good rub, you don't need sauce. It will only cover the taste of the meat, rub and smoke.

Good point. I forgot to mention in my original post that I didn't put the sauce on the ribs until the very end. I sauced the ribs about fifteen minutes before I took the out. 

dogrunner

The Keg does a great job. Your ribs look good, I'm just not that much of a sauce guy, very light or no sauce for me. 

barna

you guys prefer vertical position on the ribs or lay them flat?

Barna

K9_206
7 hours ago, barna said:

you guys prefer vertical position on the ribs or lay them flat?

Barna

Vertice in a rib rack if you are trying to get more ribs on the smoker. Otherwise flat for me.  I don't notice a difference between the two ways when they are done. 

dogrunner

I like the rib rack, when flat if you get a flare up for some reason the ribs are ruined the rack seems less likely for that, plus they seem to cook nice on the rack. 

Flairball
47 minutes ago, dogrunner said:

I like the rib rack, when flat if you get a flare up for some reason the ribs are ruined the rack seems less likely for that, plus they seem to cook nice on the rack. 

Flare ups? I'm not using enough hot coals that I could get a flare up if I wanted one. And the coal and ribs are on opposite sides of the grill. 

WPG Gizmo

Man I bet them Ribs would go down good with a couple of Sam Adams and some fresh Corn on the Cob :D

dogrunner
2 hours ago, Flairball said:

Flare ups? I'm not using enough hot coals that I could get a flare up if I wanted one. And the coal and ribs are on opposite sides of the grill. 

As you can see mine are right over the coals, sometimes it gets hot if I forget about them and don't turn them enough. :(