• Announcements

• Brad Eden

WELCOME NEW UJ MEMBERS   06/25/2017

It seems the word is out and UJ is enjoying a steady stream of newly Registered Members. Welcome to all of you, and we are all looking forward to your positive participation. I strongly suggest you review the Board Guidelines that have been in place since 2002. The most significant thing being that UJ is a NO POLITICS BOARD. LInk:  UJ BOARD GUIDELINES   Also UJ stays afloat mainly through Member Donations. Once a Donation is made you are placed in the Contributing Member Group with extra Priviliges. I am getting very few new Donations so hopefully this will spur that on a bit. Link:  New Members/Donations/Priviliges
Flairball

Ribs!!

Flairball
4 hours ago, dogrunner said:

As you can see mine are right over the coals, sometimes it gets hot if I forget about them and don't turn them enough. :(

That's why one mustn't get into the beer cooler until the ribs are served. I know, hard to do, but ribs are far too important to allow discipline to slide. 

Did I mention the baby backs I cooked?

IMG_4840.JPG

IMG_4841.JPG

barna
On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 9:01 AM, dogrunner said:

I like the rib rack, when flat if you get a flare up for some reason the ribs are ruined the rack seems less likely for that, plus they seem to cook nice on the rack. 

I used the rib rack for the first time a few weeks back, our church had a rib cock off.  I borrowed a friends built type smoker and did it to fit more racks.  But I did like the way they turned out better, the airflow is from bottom to the top so the heat passes on both sides of the rack equally.  In theory anyway. Used a charcoal and cherry wood, so no flair ups, I actually had a hard time keeping the temp above 250.   

Barna

dogrunner

Yep I like the rack I spin them every 15-20 minutes. My heat creeps up to 300 or more sometimes depending how hot it is outside or which lump I use. Some burns hotter than others.   Did you win the cook off  ?  

barna
19 hours ago, dogrunner said:

Yep I like the rack I spin them every 15-20 minutes. My heat creeps up to 300 or more sometimes depending how hot it is outside or which lump I use. Some burns hotter than others.   Did you win the cook off  ?  

No did not win, there were a lot of good grill masters there.  Normally I tend to over cook the ribs a little, I like the fall off the bone type.  I was backing of the temps a little too much to not overcook and get the bite.  But unfortunately it was too much and there was some pull after the bite.  This was the first time I used this smoker, besides a practice run the day before.  The practice run turned out to bee better than the competition.  

We have a men's group at our church called the BBQ brethren, we meet once a month (3rd Saturday) and cook  for about half a day, invite local fire department, police, EMS and others for lunch.  Great community outreach.  We usually pick a theme, ribs, brisket, chicken.....etc. Last time it was brisket point, about a 2 hour cook, it turned out great.

Barna

SEPAlander

Since this thread was one of the motivators for getting a kamdo grill, this is tonight's work.

image.jpg

dogrunner

Today I did some labor. 😆 Plus some cooking. 

IMG_3446.JPG

IMG_3449.JPG

dogrunner
On 8/24/2017 at 6:42 PM, SEPAlander said:

Since this thread was one of the motivators for getting a kamdo grill, this is tonight's work.

image.jpg

So how were they and do you like the Kamdo ?

SEPAlander

The ribs were good, just how I like them. Not fall off the bone, but with a little bit of chew on them.  I'd say I got a fair smoke on them, with just a little bark on the top where the meat was thickest.  Probably could've added more chips at the halfway point.  Like a couple of others on here, ate them dry with just the rub.  Not the best ribs I've ever had, but plenty good.

Regarding the kamado itself, only one regret; that I didn't get one several years ago.  Love the grill, using it a couple times per week; the gas Weber hasn't had the cover off since we got it.  Pizza on the menu for tomorrow, and contemplating taking the plunge and trying a brisket next weekend.  Probably only scratched the surface of what the kamado can do, but having a good time trying stuff.

last perk is gaining some credits in the marital account as I'm taking on more of the dinner planning and cooking load than usual.

dogrunner

Too hot to hunt so I cooked Ribs. Bought them already rubbed this time. This is probably there rub they used on these since they were also selling it. 

IMG_4054.JPG

IMG_4036.JPG

K9_206
On 9/23/2017 at 2:58 PM, dogrunner said:

Too hot to hunt so I cooked Ribs. Bought them already rubbed this time. This is probably there rub they used on these since they were also selling it. 

IMG_4054.JPG

IMG_4036.JPG

How did you like the flavor? I have seen that rub before.

dogrunner

Its not bad but I like my honey-mustard covered ribs with my rub better. 

Spin
On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 1:00 PM, walt lister said:

NOOOO! Stop! I'm on a diet.

Me too. I should be shot for looking in on the UJ recipe section. I feel like a hopeless junky that needs help.

dogrunner

I was told there ribs were good. Yah right. I should have known better. 😩

99BC6BE4-0424-48A2-A6B6-13DC8B077C06.jpeg

btomlin

^^^^What did they do to those ribs?!?!?!   Slathered in BBQ sauce....shameful

dogrunner

Yep they were bad.   But mom made these this weekend that were quite tasty. 

DC665C25-0345-4AD1-9578-714B3693A238.jpeg