REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
TimJ

Garmin, DT or Dogtra collar beeper combo

TimJ

I've been looking at getting a new collar. I would like it to have a beeper that is easy to control from the transmitter. I don't need a beeper all the time but every once in a while locate and maybe point only would be nice.

The Garmin Delta Upland seems to have everything I want but the transmitter looks like it uses modes instead of just having enough buttons. I wonder how user friendly it is in the field. It seems like the beeper is removable which would be a plus.

The DT Systems RAPT 1450 upland also looks ok. I've been using an old DT 1820, I like the simplicity of that one. I haven't seen a lot of reviews of this one. It seems like it would be fairly user friendly. 

The Dogtra 2500 looks like it has everything but vibrate. I actual use vibrate for teaching new things and to get his attention at a distance. Looks like the transmitter is user friendly. I'm not sure about the speaker built into the receiver and pointing down. 

I see that collar clinic has a reconditioned Dogtra 2000, would this still be a good option? It would save a little on money.

Any feedback on them would be appreciated. Like can you turn the beepers on and off from the transmitter on all of them? I have looked back in the forum and have seen that the Dogrta collars get good reviews.

Thanks

Tim

Remo

Tim, I just bought a Sport Dog 1875 from Lion Country ( UJ ad sponsor-great service). All the features you mention. My older Sport Dog collar has stood up very well but didn't have the horn so Carly gets that one. Max is due for a little long range control. He thinks he is a cottontail dog.

terrym

I love my Dogtra 2500 T&B. The beeper works great even packed with snow and ice. I set it to only beep on point but it will do other modes if you prefer them. 

Up North

I have been using the Dogtra 2500 For several years. It's a good collar, but the beeper does face down and can be hard to hear in heavy cover like a cattail swamp. I use the locate feature on it to recall the dogs.

Hammergun

I too have had the Dogtra 2500 for 10 years and love them. They are easy to use and have the buttons on the small transmitter just where you need them. I don't like the reostat intensity control though versus having different buttons to immediately increase it. 

dogrunner

The  Dogtra 2000 is a very good collar with the speaker on top. My dad and I still use ours, if you can find one I would buy it. 

grouse28

I have the Sport Dog 1875 for my two dogs. Had some issues with them, but their support has been great about replacement.

Very annoying however. I like the vibrate mode for recall. There is also a tone mode, (quieter than the beeper).

I run them in point mode only with different sounds for each dog. I also like the ability to turn off the point mode when the dog has been located

rather than listening to the constant beep. Ironic, as I type this the on/off switch has failed on one of them and it is out of warranty!

Have thought about switching brands, but that would require a whole other setup.

Thought about a Garmin GPS, but I don't believe they have a point mode beeper which I like, rather than looking at a screen.

BlacknTan

I've used Tri_Tronics equipment forever .. I had a Pro 100 e-collar for years before upgrading about ten years ago to a 2 dog Pro 500. I use a stand alone beeper. I haven't used anything from TT since they were acquired by Garmin, so I don't know if the old TT is still there or not.

I'm getting a new pup, and I'll be moving to the dogtra Edge RT. I like the familiar button assignment like the old TT tube units, but also, continuous and momentary stim right at hand without flipping a switch. But, most of all. it's got the vibratory pager system, as opposed to the TT tone. I worked with the tone for years, but the breeder of my new pup starts all his pups with the pager on the dogtra collars. I'm not going to try and re-invent the wheel and go back to square one, so I'll buy the dogtra. I'm interested to see if the vibration can break the dogs concentration better than tone.

I've got a number of pigeon sized launchers with dogtra electronics, and they have never failed me.. much better than the old, big and heavy TT launchers that they replaced, so, at this point in time, I'm headed to dogtra.

TimJ

Thanks everyone. Good info to think about.

Tim

2 Ugly Dogs

Another vote for the dogtra. I have had it for 2 seasons and use it 

multiple times during the week, even in the off season without a problem.  He only problem is it isn't expandable, if you have plans to have 2 dogs get the 2502 T&B, otherwise the 2500 T&B works great.

Marc
On 2017-08-05 at 11:06 AM, TimJ said:

Thanks everyone. Good info to think about.

Tim

Did you get a collar? I am looking at a similar choice, and still researching. 

TimJ
1 hour ago, Marc said:

Did you get a collar? I am looking at a similar choice, and still researching. 

Yes, I ended up getting the Dogtra 2500tb.

Overall I'm very pleased with it. 

Pros - it holds a charge forever and recharges quickly, about 2 hours. The locate feature is nice. I run it on point only. It rarely makes a sound other then when he's on point or taking a dump. Some other brands I've seen will beep pointed with the slightest pause. 

It seems to be consistent on stimulation in a variety of situations, the prongs must make good contact. So far it seems tough. Barely a scratch on it after a couple months of hard hunting.

Cons - I do wish it had vibration, I have my dog trained to recall with that. It's loud, which is good, but it points down, in thick cover it makes him sound farther away than he is. It would be much better if the beeper pointed up.

One other bad thing is it isn't expandable to another dog. You need to get the 2502 to be able to use it with two dogs. Maybe it's a good thing, keeps me from getting another one right now. ;)

Tim

Marc
On 4/10/2018 at 12:49 AM, TimJ said:

Cons - I do wish it had vibration,

Thanks for the update.  I am leaning towards the Garmin Delta Upland - because of the vibration feature and getting the beeper up behind the ears.

Fire Marshal Bill

If you get the Sportdog 1875 you get everything you want, ecollar, tone & vibrate. And it comes with a beeper that you can control from the transmitter with a push of the button. I've had mine for 5 years and it has been trouble free. I really like mine. 

TimJ
2 hours ago, Marc said:

Thanks for the update.  I am leaning towards the Garmin Delta Upland - because of the vibration feature and getting the beeper up behind the ears.

I'd really look into the sportdog before the garmin. Garmin makes good gps units but I have heard very little good about the delta upland.

Tim