Made some for dinner. I do love it too!

ruffneck

How many squirrel did u use? 

delahunter834
9 hours ago, ruffneck said:

How many squirrel did u use? 

Does it need cabbage?

charlo slim

I've only ever shot a few of them Brunswicks, and they were just so cute that I decided never to do it again.  

Steve Hunts

I'm afraid you purists won't like it. No squirrel, aka roof rabbit.

mister grouse

Note to the uninformed:  definite differences between Brunswick Stew and Burgoo.  IMO Squirrels , rabbits, venison, and other "game" is usually more of a staple in the old time Burgoo recipes than in the Brunswick recipes.  I know Georgia and Va both claim origination of Brunswick, and Kentucky sort of stands alone in Burgoo.  Burgoo was cooked in hundred gallon or larger  iron kettles for political rallies, horse races, trade days, church revivals and such.  Somewhere, sometime and somehow the two dishes sort of got intermixed in name and ingredients.  Traditionalists could argue for days about the recipes.  From my own observations (and l buy it about everywhere it is offered on a menu just to taste their recipe)  brunswick stew in most of the south does not contain game ingredients as it is served today.  Burgoo is available at the Keeneland and Churchill Downs horse tracks (but not with game ingredients), but not a lot of other places on a regular basis. 

I found a Burgoo recipe in a 19th century Kentucky cook book; recipe is for a huge gathering and l won't try to break it down for a dinner for four. Here are parts of the recipe, as it is too long to completely recite/type. 

This was an all night cook in 100 gallon kettles: basic ingredients-
200 pounds fat hens
600 lbs lean soup meat
200 lbs onions
5 bushels chopped cabbage 
600 lbs whole chopped tomatoes
250 lbs carrots
200 lbs fresh corn
if available 20 squirrels per fifty gallons; one whole dressed deer ; five mallards ; 30 dressed rabbits ; etc etc 

it was a 20 hour simmer and ingredients added throughout the process---any body got a 100 gallon iron kettle?
salt and pepper to taste etc

Bon appetit

gaberdeen
7 hours ago, delahunter834 said:

Does it need cabbage?

Lmfao

Hub

In Minnesota we have a similar concept called 'Booya' it's basically giant outdoor 'whatchagot stew'.  It's more like a good excuse to drink  beer.

ruffneck
10 hours ago, delahunter834 said:

Does it need cabbage?

I know where a fella can get the BEST cabbage money can buy.... believe me. !!