2018 UJ SUMMER SILENT AUCTION HAS LAUNCHED Read more... ×
Remo

Conservation Plan For Western Sage Grouse Revised

dogrunner

Sounds like Big business wins again. 

charlo slim

Hen house, meet fox.

bobman

I like the $2.00/ gallon gas and our economy not being dependent on crazies we can't trust so  my vote is we figure out a compromise

35 years ago NPR was claiming the oil pipeline would cause the caribou to become extinct, yet it turned out they are thriving and actually like the warmth from the pipeline so I am skeptical the sky is falling.

I am in favor of reasonable care in the type footprint oil and gas exploration leaves, I think we are resourceful enough to minimize our impact.

dogrunner

Caribou have a lot more room to roam than the grouse have with suitable habitat. 

bobman

My point was simply that they exaggerate and I am not saying don't do it right, I'm just skeptical  it cant be done in a way that does both goals if we try

snapt
On 8/10/2017 at 6:58 PM, bobman said:

I like the $2.00/ gallon gas and our economy not being dependent on crazies we can't trust so  my vote is we figure out a compromise

The plan in place was a gigantic compromise in terms of states, feds, conservationists, and energy companies coming together on a single issue. This will lead Sage Grouse back on the road to the ES list which will be good for nobody. The original plan's goal was to keep them off of it, and thus far was succeeding.

bobman

I am not doubting your sincerity or good intentions however i am very sceptical of the agenda and motivation of the previous administration that set the rules currently being loosened.

I could show you examples of the irrational anti oil and gas exploration policies they pushed but this thread will then descend into politics and get postholed

I hope that doesn't happen so i suggest you research it and give it some consideration.

Too much conservation policy is politically motivated from both sides and its counterproductive.

snapt

By reverting to the pre conservation plan we're fast tracking Sage Grouse back to ES listing which will make life much more difficult for oil and gas industry in the West. The economic impact was estimated at a loss of 5.6 BILLION if they go back on the list. https://www.westernenergyalliance.org/sites/default/files/Sage Grouse Economic Report - Final from Minuteman Press.pdf

We're all on the same side on this one, the health of Sage Grouse populations is symbiotic with industry out here. If they decline, the ability to drill is diminished, the better they do the more industry will be allowed. They've seen the light, unfortunately those in DC have not.

Remo
2 hours ago, snapt said:

By reverting to the pre conservation plan we're fast tracking Sage Grouse back to ES listing which will make life much more difficult for oil and gas industry in the West. The economic impact was estimated at a loss of 5.6 BILLION if they go back on the list. https://www.westernenergyalliance.org/sites/default/files/Sage Grouse Economic Report - Final from Minuteman Press.pdf

We're all on the same side on this one, the health of Sage Grouse populations is symbiotic with industry out here. If they decline, the ability to drill is diminished, the better they do the more industry will be allowed. They've seen the light, unfortunately those in DC have not.

I had thought the same way, that a possible endangered species listing would prevent abrogating the current agreement of land use. But I don't think that threat would stop industry now. Look at what happened to the Clean Water Act in June. If a law is inconvenient just erase it. Science is out of favor along with several other flavors.

Randy S

I'm thinking this will have to be the year I shoot a sage grouse. I have more respect for the views expressed from both sides on this thread, than those in Washington. I fear that when Washington says "co-exist" they really mean "kill the survivors".  Hope Bobman is right!

snapt
11 hours ago, Randy S said:

I'm thinking this will have to be the year I shoot a sage grouse.

Same here, I fear we won't be able to much longer now.

fishvik

Having worked for one of the federal land management agencies I think the biggest problem with the previous plan was a top down solution that was accepted. The recommendations of the states and local agency offices were overrode by Washington. I also believe the impact of corvids on populations, particularly during nesting and brooding, was greatly under estimated. This may be one of the major impacts from oil and gas development. With this development comes an increase in infrastructure that provides nesting and perching sites for ravens and magpies along with a winter food source in the way of roadkill.

Remo

This afternoon there was a blip on the radio about the public lands review and I didn't catch it all because I was on the phone. But it didn't sound too bad.Some might be adjusted but none are eliminated?  Anyone got the straight scoop on the sagebrush sea?

EDIT: 

https://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2017-08-24/apnewsbreak-zinke-wont-eliminate-any-national-monuments

Chukarman
On 8/12/2017 at 10:02 AM, snapt said:

Healthy sage grouse populations and oil and gas development cannot co-exist. Sage grouse need large, contiguous, UNDISTURBED areas of habitat for year round survival. This seems to be impossible in the face of the number of O&G leases that the feds have let on public land. Seems to me that the plan needs to have large areas that remain undeveloped. Sort of like "no fly" zones.

We all love $2.00/ gallon fuel. And I can be warm (for a while) if I burn my house down. Then what? Once the GSG is gone, it will no longer be an impediment to O&G development, and we can surge forward with full development of Western lands.