2018 UJ SUMMER SILENT AUCTION HAS LAUNCHED Read more... ×
Remo

Conservation Plan For Western Sage Grouse Revised

Chukarman
3 hours ago, Kansas Big Dog said:

"...the reclamation of oil and gas lands is not regulated through a uniform federal act, and the resulting regulatory structure is complex and can be confusing. Additionally, the total surface disturbance from oil and gas development has the potential to exceed the area of land disturbed from mining activities. These factors, along with questions of invasive species and drought, deepen the challenge of achieving reclamation success."

Straight from the horse's mouth. Landscaping is NOT restoration. Sage is extremely slow to regrow and in many western states the restoration would probably tend to favor grazing interests - and they have no use for sage.

Sure we need natural gas... but I doubt that we have to destroy the sagelands to get it. We should have large contiguous areas that are TOTALLY free of development - a sort of 'no-fly' zone where the habitat can be undisturbed... in areas leased for development we don't need every lessee to build their own roads. This entire development thing could be done a whole lot smarter.

Kansas Big Dog
On 10/9/2017 at 5:22 PM, Chukarman said:

The "committee" is staffed by Oil and Gas people

Can you tell me whom on the committee is from the oil and gas industries?

Chukarman
The list of Sage Grouse Task Force members has been removed from the Western Governers' web site where I originally found it. I am looking for another source for the current (2017) list. I will post as soon I can locate it.

Meanwhile, the is a link to the August, 2017 report to the Western Governors...

Chukarman
5 hours ago, Kansas Big Dog said:

Do you mean much less to produce? I am sure the gas is sold at market price, why would an extraction company sell the gas for less?

Cheaper to PRODUCE, and there is no reason they would sell it for less, so it is more profitable.

Randy S

On 10/10/2017 at 4:37 PM, Kansas Big Dog said:

The increase in gas is due to more gas fired electric power plants due to the Obama Power Plant rule. Natural gas is now the largest source of fuel for electric generation.

From US Energy Information Administration

https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=427&t=3

First you were blaming each of us as consumers, now it appears you're blaming the increased demand for natural gas on Obama. if you're going to attribute the increased demand on the "Obama Power Plant Rule" a little research will reveal that the Obama rule wasn't scheduled to go into effect until 2020. Power plants voluntarily converted to natural gas because it has been more cost effective than coal. 

Kansas Big Dog
12 hours ago, Randy S said:

First you were blaming each of us as consumers, now it appears you're blaming the increased demand for natural gas on Obama. if you're going to attribute the increased demand on the "Obama Power Plant Rule" a little research will reveal that the Obama rule wasn't scheduled to go into effect until 2020. Power plants voluntarily converted to natural gas because it has been more cost effective than coal. 

Are we not electric consumers too? The only reason for the supply of any fossil fuels is due to the demand by consumers.If consumers did not demand the fuels, or electric power, the oil, gas, coal and electric would not exist. 

The increase in demand for gas is due to fracking and subsequent price decline because of increased supply.But, because of the Power Plant rule, electric generators had seen the writing on the wall and as you know,  It takes years to build a power plant. Planning for all these gas plants were planned years ago when natural gas prices dropped because of fracking. with the Obama Admin. gas plants will more than likely continue to be built and gas will be extracted from sage grouse areas to run them.

If electric prices go up, most everybody notices that, but the sage grouse goes away, not so many people will give flying cow turd. That is why there will always be extraction until we have sucked every cubic foot of gas out of the ground. I think the best we can do is be as environmentally responsible as possible when we do the extraction.