• Announcements

• Brad Eden

WELCOME NEW UJ MEMBERS   06/25/2017

It seems the word is out and UJ is enjoying a steady stream of newly Registered Members. Welcome to all of you, and we are all looking forward to your positive participation. I strongly suggest you review the Board Guidelines that have been in place since 2002. The most significant thing being that UJ is a NO POLITICS BOARD. LInk:  UJ BOARD GUIDELINES   Also UJ stays afloat mainly through Member Donations. Once a Donation is made you are placed in the Contributing Member Group with extra Priviliges. I am getting very few new Donations so hopefully this will spur that on a bit. Link:  New Members/Donations/Priviliges
Pat Berry

"Just let them chase birds..."

Gundogger

Great exercise for the pup!  Plus, it makes for a calmer pup when you get home or put them in the kennel.  I've only had one pup that didn't realize she couldn't catch them, that dog had very little point in her until she was two and then went on the get her FC, AFC, and a couple Dog of the Year awards...   

GraceinVA

I got a 3 y/o GSP that loves to chase...too much. I never worked on chasing until this summer, and it has been a struggle to take it out of her. I let her chase for too long I think.

Disclaimer - I am in no way, shape, or form a pro dog trainer, but we have fun trying...

Pat Berry
18 hours ago, Cooter Brown said:

Pat, that video made my day.

The other two dogs' reactions are priceless.

I just stood there and chuckled at him. He's actually really level-headed puppy and I'm not to worried about getting him steady when the time is right.

It was an unexpected bonus that Keller and Fergus were just looking at me when I panned the video. MoSpaniels pretty much summed up what Keller was thinking!

Larry Brown
On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 4:22 PM, Hub said:

Drink enough of it....like a sip of it.  One year in South Dakota there was a severe drought.  On pheasant opener it was hot and hundreds of guys lost their dogs to 'heat stroke'.  It was later surmised that what had really happened was hundreds of cases of dogs dying from ingesting blue green algae from ponds on their hunts.  Last year dogs were dying from drinking from the Mississippi river because of blue green algae run off when the river washed through some ponds.  One thing is for sure...there is a lot of stuff out there that can kill a bird dog.  

and I am with 406dn....I wouldn't let my dog swim in an algae pond.

I remember all the dogs dying and suggestions that algae might have been the problem rather than heat.  If I recall correctly, a vet from SD who used to post here said that it really was heat.  Not that blue green algae can't kill.

On the chasing thing, having hunted more pheasants than anything else for most of my life, I never wanted my dogs steady to flush.  Wanted them on a downed rooster ASAP.  However, thanks to a whole lot of hen points--and a very rare miss on my part now and then if it was a rooster :) --the dogs pretty much broke themselves of chasing.  They'd break at the flush, but before long wouldn't go more than a few steps unless there was a bird to retrieve.

forestdump

lol thats not exactly what people have in mind when they say it. Cute video that sitting dogs face is hilarious. 

Gyrfolco

I love to watch a pup find a covey of wild birds and chase the first ones that flush 1/2 mile, then after chasing a few, come back a bit tired and point the rest. Some take longer than others, but I've never had one that I had to "teach" to point a bird! Wild birds ALWAYS teach my dogs to point, along with a bunch of other things.

3crosses

Last year with a one year old dog, hunting in SE NM. Dog pointed a scaled quail. Bird started to move and dog chased. I thought to myself, "no way she is catching that bird, this will teach her". Well she chased the thing off a pretty step cliff. Not really a cliff, but, I had just climbed up it and I wouldn't have run down the thing. Anyway about 10 minutes later, as I was getting worried if she was alright, she comes back up the cliff with the bird. Yea it taught her not to chase alright. Spent the rest of the season reteaching whoa. Sometimes......sometimes shit happens.

Speedgoat44

My old GSP was a big chaser.  She caught several birds, and also made some insane retrieves an lightly hit birds.  I don't think she really ever gave up chasing - she just slowed down enough that it wasn't worth it to her anymore.  This took 8 yrs.  She saved us several shells on preserve birds over the years.  

Hal Standish
On 8/14/2017 at 6:04 PM, Pat Berry said:

"...And eventually they will figure out they can't catch them.

Yeah, no.

Really enjoy the other two dogs in your video more than the barking pup. Fine honoring and proofing drill!!