• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
Sign in to follow this  
Fins and Feathers

Garmin inReach

Fins and Feathers

Anybody familiar with / use the Garmin or Delorme inReach GPS?  I am considering renting one for a planned trip this October to Maine.   The ability to make and receive text messages seems useful and allows me to ease my wife's concerns.  

Interested to hear feedback / reviews.  Also if anybody has rented one before would like to know of a good rental company.  (Feel free to pm if needed, particularly if you have info of who not to rent from). 

rideold

I've had one for a year or so.  Great device.  I have just the basic texting device.  No GPS since I already had a 64s.  The bluetooth link to your phone is nice.  The app is a reasonable map.  If you are an OnXMaps user the inreach does not accept sd chips so even if you get the full gps/text device you won't be able to run the OnXmaps.

Of all the satellite texting devices I think the inreach is the best way to go.  I use it for more than just hunting.  Nice to have a backup if the truck breaks down out of cell range etc.

mikegillam

I bought one this year, primarily to keep my wife up to date while our daughter and I were on Grand Canyon kayak trip. I found it pretty easy to use, the sync with a cell phone is really nice.  I kept it off except to send texts, I think at the end of 16 days, I still had over 50% battery charge.  There are different subscriptions you can buy, I chose (at this time) the pay as I need option.  Limits to 40 texts? (which includes sent and received) and 3 pre programmed texts which do not count against the 40.  Texts received by my wife include coordinates as to our location each time.  In a couple of narrow canyon campsites, I took a little while to lock onto sats. Also has a weather option, which allows you to get the forecast for your immediate area (counts as a text).  Tracking, etc, options, I have not used yet, but plan on it this Fall (so I don't get lost in the big woods).  SOS button is easy to reach and protected.  I will start carrying this for kayak trips (especially late season when crowds start to thin) that are more remote (Cheat River, Russel Fork, etc..)  just in case...

browndrake

I have been using one at least weekly for more than a year.   I use it at work and also when on hunt/fish trips.  I was actually going to start a rental company for them but decided I couldn't afford anything else on my plate right now.  I think that the company I work for actually is renting them out...( I don't know details nor if they are good/bad as far as a rental service...but I can find out) 

When I leave here, I will purchase my own.  With my life, it it worth always having access to one.

• They are nice but not perfect. There are times when they fail to send/receive for some time...doesn't happen very often.
  • If you are in a slot canyon, send/receive may not go through.  However, there is often a window (when satellite is passing directly overhead)  to send and receive every 15ish minutes, depending on depth and width of slot and if you can see sky.
  • I have one with built in gps/maps, but I do not use it.  I use the gps/maps on my phone.  Unless you bluetooth pair to a phone they are a pain to text with  and to read (if your eyes are like mine)
  • If you pair to phone, it is very easy to text. You can select anybody from your contacts and send
  • FYI, if you want people to be able to contact you on your inReach, you have to text them first.  You cannot just give them the number and have them text you.
  • if you send inReach to inReach you have to send to the garmin assigned email address or it will not go through.
  • if you leave it on and have moderate use, it will last about 48 hours between charges.

I have been using the delorme inReach.  Our company has started using the newer Garmin ones.  Reports are that the newer ones are a bit more reliable. 

There are or were plans that cost more per month but give you the freedom to turn on and not use during the months you don't use it.  So, if you only use during hunting season, you can turn off for the other 7 months  of the year.

Fins and Feathers

Thanks for the info everybody.  Very helpful.   

browndrake,  if you happen to find out more about your campany rentals I would be interested.  Feel free to pm company name etc if needed.  

tmoneysju

I have an inreach as well, the older model, precisely for the reason you stated, ease my wife's concerns. Nice to be able to send a txt that simply says, I'm ok, out of range will call you in an hour. Learned my lesson after not giving her a lot of information one day that I went fishing. She started calling everyone to see where I was once it got dark. Just hiking up from the stream but without cell signal! Once I got into cell range my phone blew up with voicemails and txts, I definitely felt bad.

rideold

The biggest selfish reason I like having mine is when I big game hunt I can send folks the coordinates of where they need to hike to in order to help pack out the elk :)