REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Brad Eden

Didn't know that...

Brad Eden

I always thought that extra small bolt in a door knob latch was supposed to click into the door jam hole along with the main latch. You know, to make a tight seal of an outside door. (Look at an outside door key knob/latch and you'll see it, they aren't typically on an inside or closet door.) I've installed my share of door knobs, but don't tend to read instructions....always adjusted the strike plate so the main latch and smaller bolt popped in. I installed the key lock entry door knobs on the new garage door yesterday. Decided to read directions and lo and behold that little bolt is not supposed to travel with the main latch. It's supposed to stop at the striker plate and is associated with the door locking and keeping door more secure for potential attempts at breaking in.

Did you know...the end or hook of a metal tape measure is supposed to be loose? It's 1/16" thick and when measuring an inside or outside wall it moves to give an exact measurement.

Did you know...ruffed grouse grow little fleshy nubs in between their toes called pectinations in fall for the upcoming winter? They supposedly help their feet act as snowshoes on snow and help them grip slippery and icy branches while eating buds.

What ya got that the average person might not have known? 

Flairball

Did you know that when Brad has time on his hands he reads Wikipedia?:P

Brad Eden
2 minutes ago, Flairball said:

Did you know that when Brad has time on his hands he reads Wikipedia?:P

Part of my job here is to keep things interesting and stimulating. That's certainly up for debate.

Clueless1
1 hour ago, Brad Eden said:

What ya got that the average person might not have known?

Nothin.  In fact I don't even have anything that the below average person might not have known. 

RuffChaser

I have two things:

Did you know... On the dash near your fuel gauge there is a little arrow by the fuel pump image. That arrow points to which side of your vehicle the Gas lid is on.

Did you know... Setters are the best hunting dogs ever.

Up North

Did you know that when looking at the stars to the North you will see that the Little Dipper looks like it is pouring into the Big Dipper. Also that the last star in the Little Dipper is the North Star.

Kansas Big Dog

Did you know that there are more than 20 subspecies of bobwhite quail? Most are south of the border with three or 4 subspecies in the US; Texas, Virginia and Northern I believe.

delahunter834
1 hour ago, Brad Eden said:

Part of my job here is to keep things interesting and stimulating. That's certainly up for debate.

I thought that was my job !

Brad Eden

Did you know...that I've found, on some if not many modern push button 4WD vehicles, the four tires need to be the same brand, size, wear, and close to same tire pressure or 4WD won't engage, and often the transfer case BANGS somewhat violently into gear when putting the vehicle in 4WD. 

Rockdoc

Did you know that glass (such as window glass) is actually a liquid. There is some controversy, however since glass has no crystalline structure many scientists define it as a liquid in a super-cooled state. While in college I obtained a lot of free beers with that knowledge, of course I had to keep a photo-copy of the definition in my wallet as proof.

Steve

Larry Brown

Here's a "did you know" mistake I often hear from bird hunters:  Did you know that hen pheasants will raise only one brood of chicks per year?  If you've heard reference to "second hatch birds" . . . yes, quail and some other gamebirds will raise more than one brood under the right conditions.  Pheasants will not.  However, if a hen loses her clutch (flooded nest, raccoon or other nest predator etc) BEFORE the eggs hatch, she will renest.  More than once, in fact, in an attempt to bring off a brood.  But successive renesting attempts consist of progressively smaller numbers of eggs.  And because much of pheasant country is cold country, chicks hatched too late in the season have a reduced chance of making it through the winter--especially if cold weather and snow come early.

Crazy Horse

Well, I don't want to be the first to tell you all, but did you know that I'm the nicest guy I know? Just ask me and I'll tell you.  ;~)

Treerooster

Did you know.....German Wirehair Pointers have tattoos of bird skulls on their shoulders...you just can't seem them because of the fur.

Brad Eden

Did you know...despite what you read, over and over, that not all Woodcock rise up like ponderous mini-blimps on flush, and pause at canopy before bee bopping away.

topdog1961

Probably more UJers know this than the general population, but the capital of South Dakota, Pierre, is pronounced "pier" and not like some French actors name. My Ohio geography teachers certainly didn't know that. Nor did I until my first bird hunting trip to the area.