• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE add more info than just  "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering it is not bullet proof, so Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a warm blooded human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Thank you.
E.Young

Do I Really Need GPS?

Jfwhit

I hunted for years without one because they weren't available.  Stopped hunting for about ten years as I didn't have a dog and the quail population was not good anyway.   The last three seasons I have been back into hunting and dogs.  My trainer who also guides said he wouldn't put a dog down outside his ranch without an Alpha.  So I got one still thinking I was over doing it with the gadgets.  I couldn't imagine hunting without it and wonder how I did.   A nice quiet peaceful hunt always knowing where he is (Brittany).  I would've lost him a couple time his first season out or at best would've found him after spending the rest of my day searching.  Also, on most of my hunts, he goes on point out of sight, and I know instantly.   Sometimes he's been close to 300 yds away down in valleys.  I wouldn't have a clue where he was or that he found birds.   Added s second dog this year so know I need to add another collar.  I hate spending the money, but I knew when I got another dog, I just added that to the $$$ I knew I was going to spend.   

DonT

Do you need a GPS collar ????  Do you loose sight of you dog for long periods of time?  Do you and your dog have a scheduled, like lets meet up every hour or morning break and then lunch.  Do you think you hear birds flush but never see the dog or the bird.  If you can't hear the bell any more, even the big bell.

If you hunt a new area or big woods.  You are uncomfortable with not seeing your dog for long periods of time.  You can't find the dog when he goes on point.  

I think you get the picture.  I did't think that I would need one, close working dog and all.  My young boy will hold a point on Woodcock forever,  20/30 min looking for a dog is stressful. Never mind a big runner.  

E.Young

Anyone use the Dogtra Pathfinder?

Boat dr

One collar, Dogtra 2002 w/ DC 40 Astro 320... This is as high tech as I need, This combo will do all I need and so much more..

IMG_2871.JPG

IMG_2872.JPG

Boat dr

Do you really need one ....Yes  you at least owe it to your dog... How much do you have invested in your current gear ? A used Garmin GPS combo can be had for less than 500 dollars, and newer don't mean better....There are a lot of Astros still running after 10 years, will the Alpha have the same fate.?? 

E.Young

I see many are rated to 9-mile line-of-sight range... what's a more realistic idea of range in the ridges and hollows of Appalachian mountain terrain? 

Apologies this is turning into a GPS-for-dummies thread. 

Spin
On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 0:23 PM, E.Young said:

Interesting info the chew on here. 

The RoamEO looks pretty palatable. Part of the struggle is owning a nice GPS and a decent e-collar already, and paying double on both for an Alpha or Astro just gives me heartburn. If the RoamEO lives up to their claims, it cuts a lot of the duplicity out of things at a price that is respective of as much. How's your experience been?

On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 0:23 PM, E.Young said:

Interesting info the chew on here. 

The RoamEO looks pretty palatable. Part of the struggle is owning a nice GPS and a decent e-collar already, and paying double on both for an Alpha or Astro just gives me heartburn. If the RoamEO lives up to their claims, it cuts a lot of the duplicity out of things at a price that is respective of as much. How's your experience been?

It's been pretty good. It's a reasonably priced unit and out performed my expectation as far as keeping contact with the collars in ridge ridden country and very heavy canopy. A had trouble only once when a very fine wire going to the antenna broke due to twisting while screwing it onto the hand unit. Their customer service was absolutely top rate. This problem cannot occur now with updates and improvements on the receivers. Of course this all happens After I already bought mine. The Romeo cannot out perform the Garmin units, make no mistake about that, but they will do the job as far as tracking and finding your dog and as a backup GPS that will bring you back to your vehicle. You get less but you pay less. And they certainly worked out for me. Oh yes, let me mention that they do not have a beeper or E- collar on them.

Spin

Sorry I should of mentioned this before but it slipped my mind. Another reason you might want a tracking collar came to light pretty emphatically to me when I took 3 of my dogs out together for some exercise at my club. Rough Ground, tall cover and a whole crop of CRP planted trees. The 2 young dogs managed to push out well ahead of me in one direction and didn't answer immediately to the whistle so I went looking for them. The other much older dog for what ever reason took a different heading and as luck would have it overheated and collapsed well out of sight and I had no idea where she was. It was a scary and dangerous situation and it taught me a hard lesson. I would not like this  to have anyone here on UJ have it happen to them and their dogs.

E.Young

I caved, and bit the bullet - ordered an Alpha 100 with two TT-15s. 

Cooter Brown
6 hours ago, E.Young said:

I caved, and bit the bullet - ordered an Alpha 100 with two TT-15s. 

That's a pretty good chunk of change.

But I think you'll be happy you did it.

mister grouse

Sportdog makes a TEK collar that will tell you distance and direction to your dog.  Not technically a GPS I guess but its all I need for the hunting Ive done with my setters pretty much all over the country.  Fwiw

NVChukarChaser

I hunt a big running pointer, I mean like big running and don't use a GPS. I do have a beeper locator for the rare occasion he goes for a walk about but rarely use it. Just because you have a pointer doesn't mean you need a GPS collar. 

E.Young

I'm still not convinced I need it, actually - but I am convinced it will give me peace of mind.

tut

I think in many cases a good beeper will provide piece of mind.  However, its seems most folks don't care for listening to the sound of a beeper these days.  I think a lot depends on the dogs ranges and where one hunts.  There are many ways to skin a kitty. :)

NVChukarChaser
3 minutes ago, tut said:

I think in many cases a good beeper will provide piece of mind.  However, its seems most folks don't care for listening to the sound of a beeper these days.  I think a lot depends on the dogs ranges and where one hunts.  There are many ways to skin a kitty. :)

I just set my beeper to locate mode which only beeps on command. I agree, I don't want to hear beeping all day and it can't be good for a dogs ears. The beeper does give you a good piece of mind though.