• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE add more info than just  "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering it is not bullet proof, so Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a warm blooded human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Thank you.
E.Young

Do I Really Need GPS?

boutdoors4

I use my Astro collar as a dog locator and as a tool to locate water sources where I hunt (guzzlers) out here In the arid West. I download the area water sources where I plan on hunting and I  use my regular GPS (Etrex20) while I'm driving to give me a general idea of what's around before I get out and start to hunt, usually.

boutdoors4

Here is an example of a guzzler in AZ that I had coordinates for and I was able  to hunt around it. Added coordinates thru Garmons Basecamp mapping software. The red lines are my dogs travel around the area

IMG_1275.JPG

NECarson
On 9/14/2017 at 8:22 PM, mister grouse said:

Sportdog makes a TEK collar that will tell you distance and direction to your dog.  Not technically a GPS I guess but its all I need for the hunting Ive done with my setters pretty much all over the country.  Fwiw

It is GPS... 

NECarson
On 9/14/2017 at 9:41 PM, NVChukarChaser said:

I hunt a big running pointer, I mean like big running and don't use a GPS. I do have a beeper locator for the rare occasion he goes for a walk about but rarely use it. Just because you have a pointer doesn't mean you need a GPS collar. 

A big running Pointer will spend much of its time outside hearing range of a beeper. 

Talon1

I just started using a GPS collar this past season. I hunt Pudelpointers and while they don't have huge range, I still tend to lose sight of them in some of the areas that I hunt (waist high sagebrush can hide a dog pretty fast). It has helped me to get to my dogs faster when they are on point on nervous and flighty birds. I now cannot imagine ever hunting without one.

I ended up with the Garmin Astro 320 as they were on sale last year. I tried to run multiple collars on my dogs for a while, but didn't like it. I didn't really want to spend the $ on the Alpha, so I decided to put both receivers on the same collar. I use the Garmin/TT Pro 550 e collar and I can fit this receiver on the same collar as the GPS if I use the Garmin T5 mini receivers. The T5 is too big and it fits on a 1" collar. The T5 mini and the Garmin/TT e collar receivers fit a 3/4" collar. The only draw back to this is that if you have small dogs such as Britts, small setters, French Britts, etc., the system may not tighten up enough to get a proper fit on them. It barely is enough of a fit on my PPs and they are in the 50-55 lb range.

I prefer a separate e collar for training as I do that quite a bit now. I also like the fact that I can make changes to the settings on the Pro 550 transmitter faster than I can to an Alpha transmitter if I need to do so. I use a Wingworks vest and I have the e collar transmitter clipped one side of the vest and the Astro on the other. I can just pick them up as I need them and let them fall when I am finished. I can include pics, but not sure how to do so if someone wants to see my set up.

I may go to the Alpha next season, but I have other dog and hunting items that I am buying at the moment to spend the money on one.

Depends on what you do. If you are training dogs, I think that a separate e collar is better than the combo system, but if you have a well trained dog and you just want something to hunt with, get the Alpha.

h8brick

exactly!!!! WHY MAKE IT SO HARD ? This is the year 2017 get out of the 70s, question is to the original  op is how do you hunt without them?

E.Young
9 hours ago, h8brick said:

exactly!!!! WHY MAKE IT SO HARD ? This is the year 2017 get out of the 70s, question is to the original  op is how do you hunt without them?

Thanks for the valuable addition to the conversation, but I'm guessing you did not read the first post, where I clearly state this is the first dog of my own, right?

For what it is worth, though, I've hunted over many GPS-less dogs running beepers, bells, or nothing at all - and most commonly the latter of the three - never had an issue, but I guess the stakes are higher when it is my wife's sweet princess out in the field. 

h8brick
5 minutes ago, E.Young said:

Thanks for the valuable addition to the conversation, but I'm guessing you did not read the first post, where I clearly state this is the first dog of my own, right?

For what it is worth, though, I've hunted over many GPS-less dogs running beepers, bells, or nothing at all - and most commonly the latter of the three - never had an issue, but I guess the stakes are higher when it is my wife's sweet princess out in the field. 

First dog , wifes dog buddies dog, or 10 dogs , why make it hard ? Why run 70s bells , beepers, that just alarm birds , its like shooting off a flare here I am birds  can you here me ? But to each his own

Marc
20 minutes ago, h8brick said:

Why run 70s bells , beepers, that just alarm birds , its like shooting off a flare here I am birds  can you here me ?

Intuitively, you would think running without a bell would scare less birds. Are there any studies on this? Anything  available other than anecdotal evidence? (Asks the guy still running his dog with a bell.) 

greg jacobs

I hunted for 35 years without one. 5 years ago I got a gsp that at 4-6 months was comfortable out to 400 yds. By 16 months was over the hill out at 800 yds. Lost her one day. When I found her I clipped on a leash, walked back to the truck and went home. Talked to the wife when I got home and she agreed that I'd better get one. Ordered an alpha the next day. 

Since then she has learned to bend on the tone. So it makes for a quiet day out. Added a second collar when I added a second dog. Never put them down without one now. It eliminated calling a dog in that was on point and having them bust the bird. Plus I can find the truck in the fog now.

I also know every time they stop to relieve themselves cause the dang thing beeps telling me they are on point. 

Sure has added piece of mind, and training them to bend on the tone has added peace and quiet.

h8brick
12 hours ago, Marc said:

Intuitively, you would think running without a bell would scare less birds. Are there any studies on this? Anything  available other than anecdotal evidence? (Asks the guy still running his dog with a bell.) 

Some people just love the hard way , its all good :D 

3crosses

I have the astro unit. And I usually run 3 dogs. But, the one thing that has saved me from lost dogs is teaching them there is water at the truck. I have had the astro stop working, and there are times I have forgotten to turn a collar on. But, hunting in the desert as I do, I have never had a dog not come back for water.

studdog

This has been interesting reading for a guy who runs a close running well trained flushing dog.  Never thought I'd want a GPS until now.  I've had some experiences in the field where a GPS would have helped.  Lost a dog down an old, luckily, shallow well.  Had a dog catch its tail in a bush and couldn't get free.  Had a dog catch her collar on a fence.  All these events turned out fine but a GPS function of some short would have helped.  I only want to run one collar and since I have a small dog I don't want it to be big and bulky.  What do you guys recommend.  George

MDash2

George, the Garmin mini collar might be the best option. JMO. 

versdog

I was always on the fence about getting one. I had lost dogs in the past and always got them back.  When I retired I got a gift card to Scheels and put it toward and Alpha.  This is the first season I have used it. I LOVE IT!  I noticed right away all the times I was searching for my dog either by yelling, running around looking or both. I have seen the dog was probably not all that far away.  I have a new dog this year and set the radius alert and once he gets so far away from me it alerts me he has gone outside the range.  I just pay more attention to here he is.  I would say that the collar is going to make my hunt better in that it keeps my blood pressure down when the dog is out o sight for an extended period and I think it will make my dog a better dog in the long run because I understand what he is doing when he is out of sight and I'm not looking whistling for him.