• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE add more info than just  "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering it is not bullet proof, so Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a warm blooded human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Thank you.
E.Young

Do I Really Need GPS?

E.Young
On 11/9/2017 at 9:34 AM, studdog said:

This has been interesting reading for a guy who runs a close running well trained flushing dog.  Never thought I'd want a GPS until now.  I've had some experiences in the field where a GPS would have helped.  Lost a dog down an old, luckily, shallow well.  Had a dog catch its tail in a bush and couldn't get free.  Had a dog catch her collar on a fence.  All these events turned out fine but a GPS function of some short would have helped.  I only want to run one collar and since I have a small dog I don't want it to be big and bulky.  What do you guys recommend.  George

George - since this thread started, I've been running full-size Garmin TT15s on two small setters - one a full-grown female around 38lbs, the other on a setter pup 4-5 months old and 20-25 lbs (he's been doing some growing, hence the range) without any trouble. Because the pup is still so small, I had to lace the collar kind of backwards, a trick I found online from some beagle hunters, but other than that, no issues and he doesn't seem to mind at all - still manages to rip through the woods with the rest of the gang just fine. 

MDash2
On 11/16/2017 at 11:22 AM, E.Young said:

I had to lace the collar kind of backwards

Interesting...can you share what this trick is?

Field Grade

I have a Britt that works fairly close, from around 40 to 100 yards, sometimes ranging out to 150 yards.

I use a Dogtra beeper collar set to 'Locate' only, and a bell. I deaden the ring of the bell with electric tape on the clapper to take the sharpness out of it.

I know the bell probably sets some birds off to running, but I like to hear it in the woods so I will put up with some spooked birds. I can tell you that my dog naills down her share of grouse, WC and phez on solid points, so I don't think the bell makes all that much difference. I only hit the beeper a couple times to find her on point.

The covers I hunt are generally from 200 to 500 acres apiece, so there's not much chance of getting completely lost, although you could get turned around for awhile. I still have the GPS on my phone, and downloaded maps and usually carry a paper map of the cover in a ziplock, along with a couple basic compasses. Knock on wood but my dog has not run off since she was a pup six years ago.

I don't like looking at screens when I hunt, I am on some kind of screen at work all day so I try to get away from them in the woods.

All that said, if I had a bigger running dog and I hunted bigger country I would get a GPS enabled collar.

I would suggest that if you do get a hi-tech collar, test it before the season to get thoroughly familiar with it. I have seen guys trying to learn how to use them on the fly during hunting season and they spend the whole day trying to figure out which button does what, and how to get  to a certain screen, etc.

Best of luck, whatever you decide.

-Rob J.

Curt
On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 12:00 PM, Cooter Brown said:

The only time you'll regret not having one is when you really need it.

I had a young dog go missing for the better part of a day while hunting.  I got an Astro the next day.  It hasn't happened since but the peace of mind a GPS tracker gives me is well worth the cost.

There is a $100 rebate on the Alpha right now.

You will never regret having the GPS system for yourself and the dog, the money it costs will soon be forgotten and in the grand scheme of things means nothing.  I've used my Garmin Astro for several years now and it's paid for itself in my mind more than a few times. 

A week ago on a large piece of federal land, my 8 month old brit puppy decided he'd go his own way.  May have chased a deer, then became lost, who knows.  At one point my Astro showed him at 915 yards out and moving away.  He's never done it before, his normal range is around 100 yards or so.  Anyway, he was way out there in very thick, brushy, wooded, unfamiliar land.  It's the kind of situation that creates "lost dogs". 

I was concerned but confident in the Astro based on my previous experience.  It took me 2 hours but we (me and the Astro) tracked him down and he came home in the truck.  Without it, I would have had no idea where he was.

dogrunner
6 hours ago, Curt said:

You will never regret having the GPS system for yourself and the dog, the money it costs will soon be forgotten and in the grand scheme of things means nothing.  I've used my Garmin Astro for several years now and it's paid for itself in my mind more than a few times. 

A week ago on a large piece of federal land, my 8 month old brit puppy decided he'd go his own way.  May have chased a deer, then became lost, who knows.  At one point my Astro showed him at 915 yards out and moving away.  He's never done it before, his normal range is around 100 yards or so.  Anyway, he was way out there in very thick, brushy, wooded, unfamiliar land.  It's the kind of situation that creates "lost dogs". 

I was concerned but confident in the Astro based on my previous experience.  It took me 2 hours but we (me and the Astro) tracked him down and he came home in the truck.  Without it, I would have had no idea where he was.

Yep it is great insurance on a investment of an animal that you don't want to come home without. I like my Alpha because no matter how responsive you think your dog is it can always get pulled in another direction and get lost in a hurry. 

gaberdeen

My dogs hunt fairly close and I probably don't need a gps collar. That said it it's worth its weight in gold for the piece of mind it brings.

gunsrus
On 11/10/2017 at 9:55 AM, MDash2 said:

George, the Garmin mini collar might be the best option. JMO. 

Yup , Alpha with the TT15 mini

PartridgeCartridge

Out of curiosity, do you own a shotgun and a handgun?

Jfwhit

Last weekend, my Brittany was heading right as I turned left. He was mostly in sight range all day.  I eventually stoped and beeped the collar for him to come my way.  He was a couple hills over.  I blew my whistle.  Still no movement towards me.  Then the point alert goes off.  Took my fat slow self a while to make it his way.  I get to the top of the last hill and the needle points 90 deg to my left.  A huge bush is in front of me on the downward slope.  He is only a few feet in front of me. Still don’t see him.  Birds come up all around the bush.  Not once did I make a visual of him on point.  The Garmin kept me in contact with him.  Without it, not sure I would’ve known where he was.  He would have showed up eventually.   After the birds flushed and I would’ve not known it even happened. Love hunting with Garmin.  

greg jacobs

Went up hunting a place Friday afternoon. On the way in there were lost Brittain signs. When I got back to the pickup a guy stopped to talk. Beside him was a brittany. I asked if that was the missing dog. It was. He lost it Wednesday another hunter found him Friday late afternoon. He was only a half mile from where he lost him and only a quarter mile from the road. A small brittany in an area with a lot of coyotes.

He spent most of the two nights up there and heard several coyotes yipping several times like they do when they are after something. Him and his wife were really concerned as they should have been.

You don't think you need them, till you need them. 

settem

I honestly cannot think of a legitimate reason to put a sporting dog down without a GPS collar. 

It seems like every  time I have run into someone looking for a dog, they usually make the statement, he/she has never done this before...

The peace of mind is priceless. 

If you can afford dog, gun, ammo, truck, etc you can afford the GPS. 

JMHO

dogrunner

Yes everyone needs it they just don’t know it yet. 

Harry

Merlot took off after a yard Deer two weeks ago. I looked in the wood and rode around. Two hours later I got a phone call. Called Lion Country Supply and will be getting one as soon as Deer season is over. 

As serious as it was, there was a funny twist. It was raining, I receive the phone call and says I will be right there. Pull up and the guy has a brand new loaded Volkswagon Passat. Leather and all and Merlot, wet, mud, debris and all, is sitting in it behind the wheel with the guy standing out in the drizzle. First I thank him and second try to figure out what is going on with the picture. "How did he get there exactly?" Guy responds. "I opened the door and he jumped in." "Ok, can I give you something in thanks and for the mess?" "No, it's ok." As I drove away, he was wiping off the center console.

He received a new lecture on his yard boundaries. He thought it shocking that I didn't appreciate his departure.