• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
Tim Frazier

Fixed chokes and steel shot

Tim Frazier

Everytime I pattern steel with older, but open fixed choke guns...I cringe.  Am I missing something?  1 1/8oz of #3s shouldn't have holes a wood duck could fly through at 30 yards!  Argh!!!

dogrunner

Try 2s or maybe bigger or a different brand with less speed see if it tightens up

Tim Frazier

I should, I know, but it's tough when you have another gun, with choke tubes, that shoots the load well.  Just seems like steel is move finicky than lead or bismuth when it comes to different guns/chokes.  I wondered if maybe the forcing cones in some of these older barrels had an affect or some other factor might be at play.

delahunter834
On September 1, 2017 at 3:32 PM, Tim Frazier said:

Everytime I pattern steel with older, but open fixed choke guns...I cringe.  Am I missing something?  1 1/8oz of #3s shouldn't have holes a wood duck could fly through at 30 yards!  Argh!!!

What do you call open?

Tim Frazier
1 hour ago, delahunter834 said:

What do you call open?

delahunter834
23 minutes ago, Tim Frazier said:

I don't know no numbers.imp ,cyl,mod,etc

Tim Frazier

Improved clylinder

delahunter834
6 hours ago, Tim Frazier said:

Improved clylinder

Why not use .020

dogrunner
1 hour ago, delahunter834 said:

Why not use .020

Because its a fixed choke gun. 

delahunter834
1 hour ago, dogrunner said:

Because its a fixed choke gun. 

Rodney has so many guns he must have one with .020 choke.

Windrider
On 9/1/2017 at 2:32 PM, Tim Frazier said:

If you are chambered for 3" shells, grab some 1 3/8oz #3 Winchester shells.  They are a bit slower and have a higher pellet count.

if you are shooting the fast 3" 1 1/8oz loads, it's not uncommon to have poor patterns without the assistance of an aftermarket choke like the Terror to produce good patterns.

mister grouse

I ve been shooting a "fixed" choke IC for many years , from lead to steel (and some HS), with satisfactory results over decoys.  Turns out @ 35 years ago I had an 870 3 inch  fixed choke modified barrel that I took to a gunsmith to have the barrel threaded for screw in tubes.  Once I shot some steel through it,  the screw in IC tube suddenly became a Fixed IC tube.  I couldn't get it out of the barrel.  So i just kept shooting it on the old 3in wingmaster .    Through the XX #4 lead days , to all kinds of H-S handloads and now to Black Cloud 1 1/4 #3 it has put down the ones it should have.   SO i backed in to a Fixed choke and it works.  

garyRI

Pellet count with 4s is much higher. Wood ducks aren't hard to knock down.

dogrunner

After shooting a few 4s last week I don’t like them. I’ll take 2s. 

Rick Hall

Reckon you'd hate the 5s I love for ducks.  They were my first thought when I saw Tim's dilemma, but I've not patterned them through his gun or know the ranges he tends to shoot.  Have, however, been the ticket through my IC 20ga for ducks the way we shoot them.