FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
hexfly

Progressive lenses and shooting

hexfly

I've been told by better shooters than I, that I should consider changing my current progressive no line bifocals, to distant vision lenses with a single bifocal set low in my non dominate eye.  Thought being, finding my target is priority and typical no line bifocals make distant fast focus confusing. Has anyone heard anything regarding this to be true?  For my perspective, I don't see how glasses built like this will do anything but make me sick. Before I dropped my cash on a whim, I'm looking for some more input. Thanks

KerryLuft

My advice is to go to straight single-vision shooting glasses.  In the field or at the course, I don't find them necessary.  If I need to read something close up (and I can't think offhand of what that might be), I can take my glasses off and see what I need to see.

I do not like the "insert" style prescription shooting glasses as they tend to fog.  A few years ago I had Wayne Morgan at Morgan Optical in New York put shooting-tinted prescription lenses in appropriate aviator style frames and that has been the best solution for me.

salmontogue

Two days before the new year I had a truck fire and lost three pairs of rx single vision tinted glasses as well as one pair of rx single vision clear glasses.  The first thing I did was to get an exam with an opthamologist, Dr. George Violin at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston, a four hundred mile (each way) trip but well worth the effort  Dr. Violin has performed over 20,000 surgeries and is highly regarded.  He performed Lasik on my wife with great results.

His recommendation was to use Rayban Shooter Aviator frames for the tinted glasses.  His opinion was to keep the frame constant with green, grey and amber rx lenses, all polarized.  I love them far more than my previous glasses and use them for shooting, hunting, fishing and general outdoor activities.

Perk

rayban-rb3138-sunglasses-181-62-angle.jpg

dogrunner

I have never wore any kind of glasses or had my eyes checked. I can still read and my vision seemed good for the most part. But I knew it could probably get a little better. So when I was in Sparta I went and seen this guy. He is From Pennsylvania and travels to big shoots. He gave my eyes a tune up for far vision. These 15+ year old frames were still good so he made lenses for them. I can't read with them on but about at 3 feet or so everything  is clear and bright with them on. They work good and I think my money was well spent. The doc is also a shooter that was another reason I went to him. The motor home is his office on wheels. 

IMG_2552.JPG

IMG_3704.JPG

Grifish

I am a poor shot. However, I noticed that I become worse when I shoot with progressive lenses.

Thanks for the Dr's name he's a couple hrs from here might have to look him up.

topdog1961

Get the prescription form a good doctor who gives a thorough exam. My small town eye doc spends two hours personally on each exam. Then before spending big bucks, take the Rx and order on line. I have a pair of single prescription glasses I paid $18 for. They work great and wear like iron. I use them for hunting and driving when I don't need close vision. That way you can see if it works for you without spending big bucks, and they may work so well you will keep them and save  big bucks. My eye doc charged over $400 for my no line bifocals and they scratch easily. I bought my daughter three pair for $80 on line, she picked them out. She loves them and gets lots of compliments on their look. She changes them to match her outfits. I bought her a $400 pair from the eye doc and she lost them. My son did the same. 

frugal pointer

I have yet to shoot with my new progressive lenses.  I did by a pair of sunglasses and had them made with no reading improvements.  Time will tell.  FP

Harry
On 9/8/2017 at 8:47 PM, dogrunner said:

I have never wore any kind of glasses or had my eyes checked. I can still read and my vision seemed good for the most part. But I knew it could probably get a little better. So when I was in Sparta I went and seen this guy. He is From Pennsylvania and travels to big shoots. He gave my eyes a tune up for far vision. These 15+ year old frames were still good so he made lenses for them. I can't read with them on but about at 3 feet or so everything  is clear and bright with them on. They work good and I think my money was well spent. The doc is also a shooter that was another reason I went to him. The motor home is his office on wheels. 

IMG_2552.JPG

IMG_3704.JPG

Frank knows vision and shooters. Also has a fast turnaround time.

Personally, I would avoid progressive lens and shooting like the plague.