FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Rockdoc

A new fly fishing fanatic is born...

Rockdoc

Hi all y’all,

As maybe a few here are aware, earlier this month I celebrated my 70th birthday. I wasn’t all that excited about it but my two kids (one is 41 the other’s 36 but they’ll always be my kids) rented a house in the mountains outside of Bozeman MT and threw a birthday celebration for me. Part of the celebration was a one day guided fly fishing float trip for us three on the Madison River. I only caught three fish (and missed a bunch) but it only took one day and I was hooked! I just wish I’d gotten a season fishing license when I first arrived in Montana two months ago, the 2-day license I got for the float trip wasn’t nearly enough. Anyhow, next year I plan to return to this area and will definitely do a bunch of fly fishing, it be fun!

Steve

Birdcountry70

It can become addictive!  When I lived over in that part of the state I was out up to five times a week all summer long.  Not sure where my flyrod is now,  I'm sure its covered with dust on a shelf in the garage somewhere.  I always thought there were many things in common between fly fishing and upland bird hunting.  Glad to hear you have found a brand new hobby.  Now you can start tieing flies,  building rods, collecting feathers............... 

Big Al

Welcome to the club.  Fly fishing is the reason I bought my place in Montana eighteen years ago.

hayslope

Makes no difference if you start out in the single digits of your youth.......or in your 70s.........you WILL be hooked!!  Nice place to start as well!

atticus

I got addicted several years ago myself. I sure hope there is no cure!  

Jazz4Brazo

Just floated the North fork of the Shoshone river above the dam outside Cody last weekend and rekindled some old passions...not the best time of year with low water but the scenery and the half dozen landed fish made it very memorable :x

Enjoy your new passion!!!

J4B

shoot-straight

Excellent. My wife and her dad will be on the Madison later this week. Father daughter trip before he can't do it anymore. We had my dad out there two years ago. 

Sometimes i I don't know what's better the fishing itself or the places it takes you. My vacations are based off it- got my wife hooked a few years ago, so now OUR vacations revolve around it :)

browndrake

Welcome to the club.  

Now you'll start doing crazy things like saving pheasant tails and hun feathers.

To me there are few things that can beat flushing a bird my dog has pointed.  Watching a large fish sip a fly that I tied is right up there with it. 

Spin

Charles Kuralt once said, and correctly I believe " “Often I have been exhausted on trout streams, uncomfortable, wet, cold, briar scarred, sunburned, mosquito bitten, but never, with a fly rod in my hand have I been less than in a place that was less than beautiful.” 
--

I'll also plagiarize Pat McManus and add " It's a Fine and Pleasant Misery"      

Welcome to the Family!

Britlab

Welcome, enjoy. 

Huntschool

Hooked......  Hell. I been fly fishing almost as long as I have been fishing.......  Well maybe since I was 10 or so, so that makes about 60 years.  Still get the shakes when stalking a sipping fish, or dragin monster streamers on The White River in AR for those viscous Browns, or almost dangling tiny bugs for  East TN Brook trout and casting heavy stuff off the TX/LA coast for reds.  Deep in my memory are pictures of tiny streams in NJ as well as the Delaware and the Holy Grail waters of the Catskills that I frequented as a kid up through college.

Then there is still water like this with a 2 wt:

Hxu6lmQ.jpg

Take my word for it.......  once bitten you are off to the races just like buying bird guns etc.  Enjoy the ride, its fun........