Cogburn

Any grouse leg recipes?

Cogburn

I'm not much of a grouse hunter, I usually only shoot a couple of ruffs every year. This year however, I've gotten more into hunting blue grouse, with pretty good success. Anyways, since UJ is pretty big on grouse hunting, I figured some of you you ruffed grouse hunters would have some good recipes for the legs that I could use for blue grouse. In the past, I've usually just pan fried them with oil, lemon pepper, and salt, but looking for something different. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

mister grouse

I debone the "femur" from all game birds, bacon wrap the skinned deboned leg with thin bacon held in barber pole style by toothpicks.  Cook fast over a really hot fire.   turning as bacon cooks through, and using a bottle of water to lightly  douse the bacon grease fire to avoid burning  the game bird meat.  Excellent in my view, and very bit as good as the breast meat to me.  Sharptail and hun legs are especially good this way.

Brad Eden

As much as I hate to admit it, I often discard ruffed grouse legs. They are a ground bird so legs are tough like a wild turkey. I'll save them and tender them up in a soup and pull meat from bones on occasion.

lee sykes

I discard the lower leg but keep the thighs. They are tender and tasty when breaded and fried in butter. 

dogrunner

I used this mix on chukar this weekend it was delicious. Pan fried in butter. Can't be beat. 

IMG_3429.JPG

IMG_3452.JPG