• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
terrym

Rib sauce & rubs

terrym

Just reading the rib cooking threads and would like to hear some good rub or sauce recipes. I do a great job on them but just like the eternal search for the perfect bird gun I have yet to declare a sauce as perfect. Let's hear what you consider to be a great sauce or rub :)

NECarson

The best sauce is the one you don't need. 

The best ribs I've ever had were rubbed with salt and pepper. 

I use an Italian or basalmic vinaigrette salad dressing to make whatever rub I'm using stick. Not picky about rub at all. And my smoked meats are very well known and enjoyed. 

Ben Hong
2 hours ago, NECarson said:

The best sauce is the one you don't need. 

The best ribs I've ever had were rubbed with salt and pepper. 

Preach it Brother!

HAMMER DOG

I don't use sauce in the smoking at all but will have some available if people want it, far as rubs go................................ ARE YOU SERIOUSLY ASKING FOR PEOPLES RUB RECIPES ON A PUBLIC FORUM!!! xDxD Man that's akin to asking for a persons honey holes to a serious griller/smoker.

NECarson

My standby is Cavender's Greek seasoning and whatever basalmic vinaigrette is the cheapest. 

The secret isn't the rub. 

barna

I tend to mix it up pending on the meat, as a general rule, pork can go from sweet hot and anywhere in between.  But beef is salt and pepper mostly with a little garlic, occasionally I mix n some coffee grounds just to throw off the flavor a little.

My basic rib rub is salt, pepper, paprika, garlic/onion powder, cumin, brown sugar.   Then add hot paprika, or jerk seasoning to give it a little kick.  The key is to mix the ingredients in the right proportion to enhance the flavors you desire.   This has probably more to do with the actual taste than just throwing a bunch of stuff together.  Another problem a lot of people have is that they over use the rub, the goal is to enhance the flavor of the meat not to make it taste like the rub.   Just sprinkle enough on there to give it some flavor, don’t pack it on there like you are trying to cure salt pork. 

As far as the sauce goes (for ribs), I like sweet and tangy with a little kick of habanero.  Habanero is great because there is a little delay in the heat, so you get the sweet tangy first then the heat comes on a few seconds later.   Again, the right proportions is the key to making the sauce.

Barna

WPG Gizmo

Sauce on ribs is sacrilege why cover up good smoked food with a sauce when all you need is good rub for flavor.  Puttin on Sauce is like boiling ribs before you cook em :S

Ribs get rub I have a couple of different ones I use it all depends on what the people you are feeding prefer Sweet with a little bite is best for me others prefer just sweet.

Pulled pork gets a sweet and tangy rub and at least 8 hours in the smoker for sauce I have either a thin spicy vinegar red sauce or a thicker vinegar mustard sauce which I prefer

Just don't drown the meat in sauce :P

Here is a good website for Rub mixes find one you like and change it to make it your own https://www.thespruce.com/bbq-rubs-4128496

WPG Gizmo

Try this mustard sauce it was a Steve Raichlens recipe that I change up and made my own 

Butter 2 tablespoon

1 onion chopped very fine 1/4 or smaller pieces

1 heaping tablespoon garlic minced I find that using it from a jar is easier

1 cup yellow mustard you could use Dijon I prefer Yellow

3/4 cup packed brown sugar

3/4 cup cider vinegar

hot sauce to taste at least a tablespoon but I prefer more and rarely measure just shake the bottle till it looks right 

Kosher salt and Fresh coarse ground black pepper to taste I use double the pepper to salt I like a bite to my sauce

Melt the butter over med heat then add the onions and garlic you're not browning them just making them soft and translucent  

after they are soft add the mustard, BS, vinegar and hot sauce along with a 1/2 cup water let it simmer about 10 minutes uncovered

Now add the kosher salt and Black Pepper to taste along with more hot sauce if you want.

Let the mix cool to room temp and serve I get about 3 cups out of this mix and it will keep in the fridge for a week

robp

check out Aaron Frankin's recipes you can't go wrong with his expresso bbq sauce or his advise on rubs and such

rp

12ette

let your conscience be your guide. 

dogrunner

No sauce for me just a good rub and cooked perfectly. Restaurants that say they got good ribs and then smoother them in sauce usually don't have good ribs. 

sneem

dry rub the night before is the only way to go. Went to a sports bar on Sunday and had the baby back ribs as an appetizer. Came smothered in sauce. Reason was when I scraped all the sauce off, the ribs were tender but basically tasteless. Tasted like no rub at all. This in North Kansas City.