• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE add more info than just  "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering it is not bullet proof, so Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a warm blooded human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Thank you.
Brad Eden

And so it begins....and continues...

Samuel Hoggson

Maine Revised Statutes

Title 12: CONSERVATION

Part 13: INLAND FISHERIES AND WILDLIFE

Subpart 4: FISH AND WILDLIFE

Chapter 921: WILDLIFE CAUSING DAMAGE OR NUISANCE

§12401. Attacking domestic animals or destroying property

Except as provided in sections 12402 and 12404, a person may lawfully kill, or cause to be killed, any wild animal or wild turkey, night or day, found in the act of attacking, worrying or wounding that person's domestic animals or domestic birds or destroying that person's property. A person who kills a wild animal or wild turkey by authority of this section shall report the incident to the Maine Warden Service as provided in section 12402, subsections 3 and 4.[2003, c. 414, Pt. A, §2 (NEW); 2003, c. 614, §9 (AFF).]

SECTION HISTORY

2003, c. 414, §A2 (NEW). 2003, c. 414, §D7 (AFF). 2003, c. 614, §9 (AFF).

Coyotes, 24/7/365.  We have a barn cat.  Technically, it's a "domestic animal".  It's personal hygiene is so poor doubt a coyote would eat it.  Dunno.  We also have laying hens.  They lay expensive eggs, est $24/dozen, so I intend to have them all.  Anyway, for purposes of compliance with the above statute, a cat works. 

BraqueLover

I just got back from Montana.  I was supposed to be on my annual elk hunt but the weather really didn't cooperate with lots of cold and snow.  I shifted to deer hunting a couple of evenings and was rewarded with this guy.  My biggest ever.

IMG_4403.JPG

Birdcountry70

Thats a dandy!  I like to see big eyegaurds like that on a whitetail.  And with a recurve too!  Nice job. 

topdog1961

Season archery opener is Saturday in Ohio.  I’m looking forward to it, but not to getting up early on the weekends.  I get up at 4:30 all week and often don’t get home until 7-8, and am dragging my tail by the end of the week.  As I’ve aged, I increasingly rely on sleeping in until dawn on weekends to recharge my batteries for the next work week.  But for opening weekend at least, and likely until I put some meat in the cooler, I will hunt mornings and evenings on weekends.  They don’t move much around here other than the first and last hour of light this time of year, so sleeping in eliminates 50% of my opportunities.  

As usual, I’m behind.  I did get out one day a couple weeks ago and put the seats in and clear firing lanes for 6 of my 9 double ladder stands.  I’ve not practiced, nor have I got my hunting clothes out of storage for washing, both are on tonight’s agenda.  I’ve done no scouting, but did find good sign at most of my stands and kicked up deer near two of them that day.  As stated in “How do you hunt?” I mostly hope to show up at the right stand at the right time, waiting for an eater to amble past. The 4x8 deer cooler I built early last fall is ready for its first customer of the year, much needed for early season kills.

I do have an interesting access gain this year.  80 acres of mixed woods and farmland on the riverfront across from my house.  Until recently it was privately owned and the farmer let any knucklehead hunt it.  So even though it’s convenient and some nice bucks were taken there, I avoided it.  Now it is owned by a nature conservancy and I have exclusive hunting access at this time.  I got this by 1) showing up a few times to help clear invasive species of brush, and 2) going through the written application process.  I’m supposed to place a notice they sent me on the sign in the parking lot when I’m hunting.  It states the property is being used for hunting at that time and no one else isallowed to use it.  The problem is they built a nice parking lot and canoe launch, so on the weekends it gets lots of traffic, and usually someone camps overnight on the riverbank fishing for flatheads.  So I don’t think I will be hunting it until the weather turns cold enough to discourage fishing and kayaking.  And I would feel guilty shutting the whole place down just so I can hunt, when I have other spots.  Neither do I think it will see much deer activity until the human traffic slows down.  Then it will be an interesting dynamic to see if the knuckleheads who hunted it when privately owned will honor the new rules and stay off it, especially during gun season at the end of November. If the army of orange does avoid it, the spot could act as a safe haven from them for deer, with two exceptions, (me and my son).  I can’t put a permanent stand there so likely we will hunt out of climbers. 

garyRI
9 hours ago, topdog1961 said:

Neither do I think it will see much deer activity until the human traffic slows down

I think the traffic could help you. I hunted Ft Devens training area when I lived in Metro West Boston and the deer were used to weekend training activity.

Okhotnik
On 9/24/2017 at 4:16 AM, Brad Eden said:

Frigged up on a plump 4 pt yesterday morning. I don't want to talk about it. An opportunity squandered is all I'll say.

Been there many many in 40 years of now hunting 

sometimes its so easy and you miss or move and they see you because not prepared

Okhotnik
On 9/28/2017 at 5:54 AM, topdog1961 said:

Season archery opener is Saturday in Ohio.  I’m looking forward to it, but not to getting up early on the weekends.  I get up at 4:30 all week and often don’t get home until 7-8, and am dragging my tail by the end of the week.  As I’ve aged, I increasingly rely on sleeping in until dawn on weekends to recharge my batteries for the next work week.  But for opening weekend at least, and likely until I put some meat in the cooler, I will hunt mornings and evenings on weekends.  They don’t move much around here other than the first and last hour of light this time of year, so sleeping in eliminates 50% of my opportunities.  

As usual, I’m behind.  I did get out one day a couple weeks ago and put the seats in and clear firing lanes for 6 of my 9 double ladder stands.  I’ve not practiced, nor have I got my hunting clothes out of storage for washing, both are on tonight’s agenda.  I’ve done no scouting, but did find good sign at most of my stands and kicked up deer near two of them that day.  As stated in “How do you hunt?” I mostly hope to show up at the right stand at the right time, waiting for an eater to amble past. The 4x8 deer cooler I built early last fall is ready for its first customer of the year, much needed for early season kills.

I do have an interesting access gain this year.  80 acres of mixed woods and farmland on the riverfront across from my house.  Until recently it was privately owned and the farmer let any knucklehead hunt it.  So even though it’s convenient and some nice bucks were taken there, I avoided it.  Now it is owned by a nature conservancy and I have exclusive hunting access at this time.  I got this by 1) showing up a few times to help clear invasive species of brush, and 2) going through the written application process.  I’m supposed to place a notice they sent me on the sign in the parking lot when I’m hunting.  It states the property is being used for hunting at that time and no one else isallowed to use it.  The problem is they built a nice parking lot and canoe launch, so on the weekends it gets lots of traffic, and usually someone camps overnight on the riverbank fishing for flatheads.  So I don’t think I will be hunting it until the weather turns cold enough to discourage fishing and kayaking.  And I would feel guilty shutting the whole place down just so I can hunt, when I have other spots.  Neither do I think it will see much deer activity until the human traffic slows down.  Then it will be an interesting dynamic to see if the knuckleheads who hunted it when privately owned will honor the new rules and stay off it, especially during gun season at the end of November. If the army of orange does avoid it, the spot could act as a safe haven from them for deer, with two exceptions, (me and my son).  I can’t put a permanent stand there so likely we will hunt out of climbers. 

Good luck

will they provide signage to post it to keep the ding dongs out?

i always post, with permission of course, private get access to hunt. Stops the "oh I didn't know " excuses of trespassers

Okhotnik
On 9/27/2017 at 6:20 PM, BraqueLover said:

I just got back from Montana.  I was supposed to be on my annual elk hunt but the weather really didn't cooperate with lots of cold and snow.  I shifted to deer hunting a couple of evenings and was rewarded with this guy.  My biggest ever.

IMG_4403.JPG

Nice whitetail and with a recurve

excellent!

Brad Eden
7 hours ago, Okhotnik said:

Been there many many in 40 years of now hunting 

sometimes its so easy and you miss or move and they see you because not prepared

Everything was perfect....as he was about to step into a shooting lane at 20 yards and head was hidden, I came to full draw. He stepped out and inexplicably looked right up at me in my 16 foot ladder stand. I had his head, neck and shoulder. It was a stand off. I needed 3 more inches to slip it behind shoulder. I slowly leaned left giving me a little leeway and put the pin where I thought it would get past shoulder blade and touched it off. Nice solid whack but saw the fletching, still, as he bounded straight ahead. Was still confident, until I got down, zero blood. Found arrow a few yards from spot of hit. Clean shaft with blood and hair on broadhead and maybe an inch or two on shaft. Apparently hit solid bone and the mechanical  broadhead didn't open but the blades jammed at 1/4 open. These were chisel tip heads too. (I've had good luck cleanly killing deer with these mechanicals, but may switch to something more solid) I'm pretty accurate and think he gathered himself slightly at the shot before bounding off putting the arrow right on shoulder not behind. After he ran, he blew at me which I knew wasn't a good sign either. Naturally I spent the morning looking, searching for even a spec of blood all through this piece of woods. Nothing. Went back 3 days later after crazy hot weather and poked around sniffing for anything dead or for ravens. Clean. He's alive, educated and maybe with a limp. Should I have waited for him to turn or bound away or maybe take that extra step. Maybe, probably. Such is hunting, I do, and should feel sh%^}*y about it.

max2

To Brads last post - I had a similar situation yrs ago -with a mechanical broadhead.  Nothing beats fixed blade . ( Not going to even write IMO )  Your not at fault here - my guess is if you connected where you think you did the deer gets hurt worse while battling other bucks and getting stuck with an antler.

Brad Eden
Just now, max2 said:

To Brads last post - I had a similar situation yrs ago -with a mechanical broadhead.  Nothing beats fixed blade . ( Not going to even write IMO )  Your not at fault here - my guess is if you connected where you think you did the deer gets hurt worse while battling other bucks and getting stuck with an antler.

They have their drawbacks which are typically made up for with their accuracy. I used Muzzy fixed for years, but it was a chore to get them to fly like fieldpoints. I don't have great form, so no matter how I tried I'd always have to readjust my sights etc, when switching from practice points to broadhead. I like expandables, and their are some on the market that are more solid than what I'm using or I like some of the more compact fixed Im seeing these days.

topdog1961
1 hour ago, Brad Eden said:

They have their drawbacks which are typically made up for with their accuracy. I used Muzzy fixed for years, but it was a chore to get them to fly like fieldpoints. I don't have great form, so no matter how I tried I'd always have to readjust my sights etc, when switching from practice points to broadhead. I like expandables, and their are some on the market that are more solid than what I'm using or I like some of the more compact fixed Im seeing these days.

I started with mechanicals but recently switched to fixed after similar experiences. They don't punch through tough muscle or bone. I've field dressed to many deer with expandables embedded in their shoulder to go back. Good news is they typically live. 

garyRI

Re: mechanicals

I spined a big doe last year shooting nearly straight down using Rage chisel heads on my crossbow. The arrow ended up passing down one foreleg and shattered the elbow (knee?) joint. Perhaps the backbone opened the expanable head just right, and this is a sampling of one, but from this experience I found the Rage head to work very well.

Brad Eden
22 minutes ago, garyRI said:

Re: mechanicals

I spined a big doe last year shooting nearly straight down using Rage chisel heads on my crossbow. The arrow ended up passing down one foreleg and shattered the elbow (knee?) joint. Perhaps the backbone opened the expanable head just right, and this is a sampling of one, but from this experience I found the Rage head to work very well.

I also use the chisel tip rage. Have never had any issue before, including spining a couple because they were right under me. But now have learned the hard way not to chance a straight on whack on solid bone like a shoulder. I have the mechanical all jammed up to prove it. May stick with them, and not take iffy shots like that one.

My bow isn't a screamer like bows today. A 13 year old one cam Mathews Outback, set at around 58lbs. I'm lucky if I get 300 fps. Still plenty for an average 15-25-30 yard poke if the shot  is good. A bow pushing 350+fps may have punched it through that shoulder. Never know.

Okhotnik

I tried expandables one year and switched back to heavy cut on contact head like Magnus or savora makes great heads now

slik trick are good too. Too limited , too many negatives shooting expandables imo

Very easy to tune and have blown through elk and deer shoulders ribs.

for tree stand hunting shots under 30 yards I use heavy gold tip arrows with brass inserts running around 75 grains.

my arrows at 30 inches run around 600 grains 

With good foc these arrows shoot like darts and will break through bone

i shoot 60 lbs

i shoot a 55 lb longbow too and maybe get 175 fps and I have shot through many deer  , 3 caribou shooting 2 bladed heads with heavy arrows 

something to to think about hope don't sound too preachy

sorry lost deer , sounds like minor injury 

good luck