• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
Brad Eden

And so it begins....and continues...

polecat

Get the onions out.I can smell them now.

WPG Gizmo

Nice deer ML opens here in 10 Days hope to have one early in the freezer

Big Al

That's some good eating Brad.

Big game season opens this Saturday here in Montana.

I'll target a mule deer doe this weekend and a cow elk if one happens by.  Don't have a bull permit for the district the ranch is in.  Even though I'll be out hunting I don't expect to shoot a buck this early in the season. The big bucks don't start showing up until the rut and that's usually in mid to late November. 

I've been waiting eleven months for deer season so I'm pumped.

Brad Eden

IMG_0513.JPG

Yup, yes, indeed...shot this buck at around 5:45PM with the bow. No time for a load of posed photos since I was alone and darkness was descending. Had to field dress and start dragging. My best bow buck and Im really happy. When I grabbed an antler and tried to move him I thought "Monster...200 lber!" I have him hung but haven't weighed him, but my guess, after settling down, is a 160-170 pound 8 pt.

I was on stand at 4:00, and at around 5:30 a little spike horn strolled in and begged me to double lung him at 20 yards. He wandered around in and out of range for 15 minutes. I decided if he offers another shot I'd take him. Then I heard more leaves crunching and this guy walked out and stood broadside in the wide open at 25 yards....but standing in my treestand there was one pesky branch right in the way of his bread basket. It was a standoff until he took that one more step and I drew, settled in let it fly. Bad news is I spined him, since I held high with the 20 yard pin and he crouched at the shot. Good news is he didn't go anywhere. One more arrow and he was mine. Plan is to drive him down to UJer Mike Stenstrom's house in AM, where he has a newfangled cooling system, and then we will cut him up in a few days. 

Expanded archery zone deer number 2. I need a bigger freezer.

mccuha

Nice buck.  Especially for a bow kill. A whopper far around here for sure

Brad Eden

Couple more shots. Nobody around to take a hero shot. Jo Ann is out of town and Cash hasn't figured out my iPhone camera, yet.

IMG_0517.JPG

IMG_0518.JPG

MAArcher

Wow Brad that's a great deer!  I'm excited for you.  Awesome you have a buddy to cut it up with too.  Nothing like having a decent place to work, a buddy and a couple cold brews.

Jacquidog

Very nice, is the Maine herd doing better?

Brad Eden
2 hours ago, Jacquidog said:

Very nice, is the Maine herd doing better?

I bow hunt primarily what's termed the Expanded Archery season/zones. These are specially designated urban areas where the deer are there in numbers and need to be controlled. They allow extra Permits for these areas. The deer herd across a state as large as Maine fluctuates greatly. Hard to say how they are doing statewide.

MTRookie76

Congrats! Great buck!

WPG Gizmo

Very nice bow deer I know where his distant cousin lives just waiting till next weekend :D

topdog1961

Congratulations Brad, that's an awesome Buck. Mine's smaller, but hey, that's the story of my life.

It's been a very frustrating first three weeks of the bow season so far. After the debacle of the unrecovered opening morning deer I posted about in "Amateur Hour", I've had few sightings and no shots. Last evening I was in a stand feeling disappointed again when a modest size antlerless deer walked in to 20 yards in the last few minutes of shooting time. That's a half hour after sunset so it was fairly dark. I couldn't see my bolt, but it sounded like a good hit with a leftover spitfire mechanical I'm using up now that I decided to go back to fixed blade. I sighted in a new red dot yesterday afternoon and my Xbow was driving tacks. But this deer ran off into some brush and disappeared at a fast pace. I saw no bolt protruding. I climbed down and searched for and couldn't find my bolt, but there was tall CRP behind the deer. I picked up a very, very light trail of bright red blood. I've seen double lung shot deer bleed none to little, run 100 yards and fall over. I was hoping this was the case and planned to follow the blood that far, but after the debacle of opening morning, no farther in case it was not hit well. But it was a very warm night so I didn't want to wait till dawn. After 100 yards the blood was no heavier. I laid my bow and pack down in a conspicuous spot and walked the half mile back to the truck. I had time to kill and hoped I wasn't being too optimistic if I spent it getting my deer cart. 

The gated access road to this farm goes right through someone's yard. I didn't know them other than knocking on their door once a year and telling them I'd be parking in their yard for another season. But last night they had a big family gathering and their must have been 20 vehicles in the yard when I parked. A few saw me come out after dark and came over and asked how I did. After hearing my story, three volunteered to help recover. I told them I planned to wait an hour and a half. One went home on what must have been a good drive to get his spotlight. I passed time making small talk around the bonfire at someone else's family gathering. Two more guys showed up wanting to help, called in by their buddies. After an hour and half the herd of people moved back in the brush. This was a big production. We found my stuff and resumed tracking. We made it only about 20 feet and found a button buck in the CRP with a pass through in the lungs, exactly where I aimed. Talk about recovery overkill, I'm sure they were disappointed it didn't turn out more dramatically.  But it was nice to have someone hold the light and one of the young guys even pulled the cart out for me, and my little button buck was the hit of the party. Several kids petted him. 

It was nice hanging him in the cooler I built last fall and being done on a warm night. I was beginning to think it wouldn't be needed this year.  After the morning hunting phez with my son I posted in "End of an  era", it was a good day. 

image.jpeg

Big Al

My brother and his son took these spike bulls at the ranch yesterday morning.  There are only twenty bull tags available for the hunting district the ranch is in so getting one is next to impossible.  The general elk licenses allow taking cows or spike bulls.  So even though these two were with two bigger bulls the guys had to settle for these spikes.  It’s the first bull my brother has ever shot and the first bulls taken at the ranch. 

We had elk tenderloin for supper.  That’s some good eating.

8950F65B-1828-4438-BF33-EEBF5E826594.jpeg

Brad Eden

That's "wicked" as they say up here Al. Is this on the main ranch that I turkey hunted on, or the new property you recently purchased?

Virgil Kane

Nice buck Brad! 

And a couple of good eating spike elk too guys!

Virgil