Brad Eden

And so it begins....and continues...

Brad Eden
12 minutes ago, Marc Ret said:

Looks like a solid platform to work on. Do you plan to use some type of cutting surface over the OSB? 

Yeah, a bull elephant could do a dance in it. Don't think so as far as surface, this is salvaged 3/4 Advantech flooring from top floor of the new garage. I have some large cutting boards I use, wood and synthetic. Plus it will be used as a general extra work bench most of the year.

Marc Ret
3 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

Yeah, a bull elephant could do a dance in it. Don't think so as far as surface, this is salvaged 3/4 Advantech flooring from top floor of the new garage. I have some large cutting boards I use, wood and synthetic. Plus it will be used as a general extra work bench most of the year.

Sounds like you're set. I use several large 3/4"x24"x36"/48"/60" poly cutting tops a friend snagged for me when the grocery store he worked at was redoing their counter tops. Hard to believe they were just throwing them out. 

topdog1961

A sheet of plexiglass works well also. Not to big so it's easy to handle for cleaning. 

edit: I'm sitting up a tree on the last afternoon and evening of Ohio week long gun season. Not a snowballs chance in hell of shooting anything unless someone pushes a nearby woods. But what could be a better way to spend likely the last idyllic day in a long time, than soaking in the warm sun up a tree and surfing UJ?

MAArcher
5 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

You may want to paint it, give it some chemical resistance.  And or skim coat it with plaster.  I’m not sure what it was exposed to, but I’ve seen OSB falling apart.

Marc Ret
41 minutes ago, MAArcher said:

You may want to paint it, give it some chemical resistance.  And or skim coat it with plaster.  I’m not sure what it was exposed to, but I’ve seen OSB falling apart.

Not a bad idea to seal it but Advantech ain't your daddy's OSB. It's a seriously tough product. 

Brad Eden
10 hours ago, Marc Ret said:

Not a bad idea to seal it but Advantech ain't your daddy's OSB. It's a seriously tough product. 

True that. This Advantech material is good stuff. But I will likely seal/paint the top.

topdog1961

Today and tomorrow are Ohio's 2 day bonus gun season. I have enough deer from bow season,  including my one buck, but I had bought another tag so I could gun hunt and hopefully take and process an antlerless deer for a needy family like I did last year. I blanked out for gun week, and normally deer are holed up after that but when the temps hit 50 with sunshine today I couldn't resist taking my climber to 90 acres across the river. It's owned by a nature conservancy that I was fortunate enough to be given permission to hunt. I guess it was payback for helping them clear invasive brush there this spring and summer. Since I have exclusive access I kind of felt obligated to hunt it some. I didn't expect much, but this patch has had no pressure other than me. I can't believe I've seen no hunters trespassing. Before the conservancy bought it they used to go through there like an orange army. But about 20 minutes before sunset two doe ambled toward me through some belly high grass, right out in the open moving natural as can be. I had to make a left hand shot but dropped one on the spot. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Birdcountry70

Good job,  that looks like a pretty good sized doe.