2018 UJ SUMMER SILENT AUCTION HAS LAUNCHED Read more... ×
Brad Eden

And so it begins....and continues...

Brad Eden

Whitetail deer seasons in Maine. The Expanded Archery Season began today. This special season is restricted to certain zones, mostly urban where there is a need to keep deer populations compatible with people. After a 45 minute drive, I was in my stand with bow before first light. Quiet and noisy at the same time; leaves wet and quiet but water dripping off the trees after rain last night. I started my obligatory bleat sequences at around 6:15 and 10 minutes later twisted my head to my left and a big lone Doe was sneaking in and through a shooting lane at 20 yards. She saw me move, looked up, froze and then took three steps and stopped behind some trees. I bleated again. She stood stock still, then slowly minced her way back where she had come giving me no shot. Never winded me. I never heard her coming in, it was too quiet. First day, not paying full attention syndrome. Perfect deer for this early management season; a lone mature Doe with no fawns I could see. She already had shed her orange summer coat and was invisible until she moved. Stayed out until 9AM with no more action. A good morning for bowhunting in Maine. I'll be back next week for an afternoon sit.

Virgil Kane

I'm jealous!

Good luck and stay safe out there.

BTW how is the bug situation during the early season in Maine? Were I bow hunt a bug suit in a necessity early on and could stay that way until early December. Even with the bug suit all the skeeters will drive a sane man batschit crazy.

Virgil 

Brad Eden

Not a single pesky insect on stand this morning. There are typically a few mosquitos in afternoon, but nothing egregious.

WPG Gizmo

Good luck the only thing open here right now is Squirrel and Bear plus Resident Goose

Brad Eden

If I can get some work stuff done and some garage stuff done. (On the verge of completion.) I may take the drive to Expanded zone and take a stand this afternoon. I'm curious to see if any movement in afternoon this early.

Brad Eden

Dead...nothing...nada....3 hours of relative anticipation with no adrenaline generated. That's why they call it hunting and all that...ME deer hunting at its core...

Brad Eden

I__00019.JPG

This numb nut hung around my camera for at least 20 photos, posing, looking at camera etc. He was curious about the flash, not spooked. This is the same spot I've gotten photos of a wide 6 pt, a tight high racked 8 and some smaller bucks and a slew of does. The biggeer bucks haven't been caught on camera for a couple weeks. Can't bow hunt his spot/zone until October.

MAArcher

Whatchu talkin' bout Willis?

Whatchu Talkin' Bout Willis.JPG

MAArcher

Its opening day in NH.  Had three does sneak up behind me in the rain.  They came to about 10 yards and then blew.  Scared me so bad I peed a little.  

An hour and half later they did it a again, only this time they were 50 yards out.  I couldn't hear them coming with the rain.  Maybe I'll get one tomorrow morning.  This evening its to the double stand overlooking an apple tree with my boy to see if we can get him his first deer.

Britlab

I've been out to our property several times this month with clean up, food plots, restocking supplies, etc.  Bow season starts here Saturday and I feel like a kid at Christmas.  

My wife saw me looking at a Tennessee wildlife resources magazine tonight and asked about a picture of a deer killed last year about an hour from where we hunt. I explained it was a new world record and the guy would probably make millions. She asked why don't I kill one like that?  Huh. 

Brad Eden

Frigged up on a plump 4 pt yesterday morning. I don't want to talk about it. An opportunity squandered is all I'll say.

max2
22 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

Frigged up on a plump 4 pt yesterday morning. I don't want to talk about it. 

...... how bout now ?   he,he,he, we've all been there......:D

MAArcher

I made a questionable shot on a big doe the other night.  So I left her till the following morning.  The coyote didn't leave me much.  

IMG_0440.JPG

MAArcher

In 11 days I've had 11 outings with 9 deer within 3-35 yards and my freezers still empty!  Not my best year so far.

Brad Eden
On 9/25/2017 at 6:34 PM, MAArcher said:

I made a questionable shot on a big doe the other night.  So I left her till the following morning.  The coyote didn't leave me much.  

IMG_0440.JPG

Thats a shame. Damn yotes. Keep at it. I have had a couple opportunities with nothing to show for it. Bowhunting is a game of inches.