DennisMcFeely

Volkswagen Atlas?

DennisMcFeely

I'm looking to replace my 2013 Outback with something a little larger in that "Crossover" segment, so far I've only driven the Highlander which I liked.  Going to look at Pilot, etc. but  I'd never even heard of the VW Atlas, is anyone driving one of these that would care to share some feedback with me?

martyg

Can't comment on the Altas, but I am a very happy VW owner. I used to own a 2013 TDI wagon - which they bought back from me at $3K more than I paid for it. I promptly went out and purchased a GTI. With snows on it the GTI (or the TDI wagon) is much more capable on winter roads than my 4Runner, Porsche or Subaru, and doubt that anyone on the board is seeing more winter driving than I am.

Personally, I'd wait three years. Let them get things figured out.  The Alltrack wagon looks really compelling. It will be way more fun to drive than your Outback (transportation appliance) but won't buy you more space. The Alltrack platform has been around in other countries for some time, so it is proven.

Maybe a CPO Touareg? VW's are undervalued right now. Good tome to buy.

bobman

I have a diesel jetta with 300 k on it, really nice car, parts are outrageous and good technician are very hard to find. 

I love the car but will never buy another VW, mine pays for its expensive maintenance because of my expense account arrangement if that didn't exist I would of dumped it long ago.

My advice buy a toyota that is what my next one will be

rideold

+1 on a Toyota.

We had a 2002 diesel jetta.  We didn't get one of the good ones and sent it along around 100k miles.  After two injection pumps in the course of 40k it just wasn't worth fixing anymore.

We have two Toyotas in the family now.

salmontogue

-1 on Toyota.  Never had one that was any better than mediocre.  If you tow much, you will discover how wimpy their transmissions are built.  And fuel economy....what fuel economy?

Perk

Brad Eden

I'm a Mac... I mean Toyota guy...but I had a couple VW bugs when a teenager which were fun but complete POS. My wife had a string of VW Rabbits and a couple Golfs. Great rides, and we went x country in a yellow Rabbit out of college, before we got married. Went over 200k somewhere in Texas and we stopped and broke a bottle of champagne over the front bumper. 

If the new VW's are as good or better, you probably can't go wrong. Plus with that major computer/emission fiasco VW has a lot of confidence to rebuild so their vehicles have got to be good...I'd summize.

MNice

I think the Atlas will be my wife's next vehicle. I had an 89' Jetta which made several trips to Colorado and Montana each year from Minnesota. Very reliable, fuel efficient, comfortable, and the only issue I experienced was that the engine oil would freeze and turn to sludge below -20 F. It had an aluminum block and I eventually  got tired of changing the oil each week in the dead of winter. I carried charcoal, lighter fluid, and a couple pans in the trunk to warm up the block. I don't think the engine was properly tested for a cold weather market but VW did attempt to rectify the problem without resolve.

Now, if the Amarok was available in the US, that would be my truck of choice for an all around vehicle. Fahrvergnügen

jeff88

The Atlas is really big, a giant step up in size and price.  Going that big I'd also look at the Honda Pilot, Ford Explorer or Acura MDX.  A pre-owned MDX with decent warranty left on it would be a nice ride.  I bought a 3 year old 2012 coming off lease for $30k, added south of 4K worth of options and a b2b warranty that takes me out to 2020.  All up and in it was not quite $35k.  Very nice ride for the money spent and it'll still be worth a good bit at selling time.

Highlander a bit smaller, in that case you may also look at the Ford Edge.

DennisMcFeely

Thanks Jeff

Ted Moore

I love my Alltrack. I also loved my TDI sportwagen. I've never had to make a repair on either of those cars in the 3 years that I have owned them. And they are fun to drive and really good in the snow. If I were you, I would certainly look at VW as they aren't boring like so many other cars/crossovers. 

DennisMcFeely

I drive over 500 miles per week commuting, probably 85% of that are highway miles.

I'm trying to find the sweet spot of getting a little more size and power than the Outback, without giving up TOO much in gas mileage. 

Dogwood
1 hour ago, DennisMcFeely said:

I drive over 500 miles per week commuting, probably 85% of that are highway miles.

I'm trying to find the sweet spot of getting a little more size and power than the Outback, without giving up TOO much in gas mileage. 

3.6 L Outback

jeff88
20 hours ago, Ted Moore said:

I love my Alltrack. I also loved my TDI sportwagen. I've never had to make a repair on either of those cars in the 3 years that I have owned them. And they are fun to drive and really good in the snow. If I were you, I would certainly look at VW as they aren't boring like so many other cars/crossovers. 

You mean you are out of your Element?

Gawd, that was awful, but could not resist.

E.Young

I haven't experienced the Atlas first hand, but I have spent time behind the wheel of the Audi Q7, which is very evidently the Atlas' luxury sibling and I've found little difference in Audis and fully-loaded VWs - including price. Very nice car, ride is great, fit and finish are great, feels plenty powerful with the v6, which is probably the same as what's in the VW. The fuel economy looks great for the size, to boot. 

jeff88

Just saw an Atlas for the 1st time today, it was parked right next to a Highlander, the Atlas is indeed bigger.  Looks about the same size as my MDX or Q7 as mentioned above.  It's also a good looking ride.  Dennis, you should have a good time figuring this all out.  Not sure if you use the site but Edmunds has helped me buy and sell cars in the past.  If I had to replace the MDX today, I'd look long and hard at the Audi Allroad, it's an A4 Wagon with better off-road capabilities in the same vein as the Subaru or a CUV.  The VW Alltracks are getting good reviews too.