DennisMcFeely

Volkswagen Atlas?

DennisMcFeely

I test drove an Atlas last night and liked it a lot.  The price points of the Atlas and Highlander were comparable for the mid-range packages.  I think the killer for the Atlas will be the fuel efficiency.  No matter what I'll be giving up less of it with the Highlander than  the Atlas.  Thanks for all of your replies.

Tony Moore

Mnice. you don't have plug-in block heaters?

jeff88
4 hours ago, DennisMcFeely said:

I test drove an Atlas last night and liked it a lot.  The price points of the Atlas and Highlander were comparable for the mid-range packages.  I think the killer for the Atlas will be the fuel efficiency.  No matter what I'll be giving up less of it with the Highlander than  the Atlas.  Thanks for all of your replies.

Hey Dennis, here's the Edmunds review:

https://www.edmunds.com/volkswagen/atlas/2018/suv/review/

They mention the Mazda CX9 as well.  This class seems to have a lot of choices.  

DennisMcFeely

Thanks Jeff.

It seems for various reasons the Atlas is offered with a 6-year 72k warranty to include the drivetrain.  Wow.  Even never having owned a Toyota I'm sold on the reliability, and the Highlander specifically has been proven over time.

jeff88
2 hours ago, DennisMcFeely said:

Thanks Jeff.

It seems for various reasons the Atlas is offered with a 6-year 72k warranty to include the drivetrain.  Wow.  Even never having owned a Toyota I'm sold on the reliability, and the Highlander specifically has been proven over time.

Believe VW is offering this due to the bad press on the diesel issues of late.  They say it's a bumper to bumper warranty which should include everything except for the items that are under periodic maintenance such as oil changes, tires, alignments and similar.  Seems like a good deal.  With today's vehicles, I'm less concerned with the mechanical parts than ever before especially if one keeps up to schedule with preventive maintenance.  However, I did extend the warranties out to a total of 8 years with both of our cars with manufacturers b2b warranties, specifically for electronics.  New cars are laden with electronics and if something goes wrong, they can be really expensive.  We had an issue with airbag sensors on a previous car, the total came to $1500 since they had to replace the sensors and bags (by law); this was with a dealer reduction I negotiated that amounted to about 2/3 of the total charge.  We paid less than that for each extended warranty on our cars.  On a current car under warranty, an infiniti g37, the dealer  had to replace the entire satellite radio system, antenna and receiver, total on that was around a grand, thankfully covered under the warranty which is well into in the extended period.  We paid just over that amount for the warranty itself.  

BTW, a car more in the Highlander class that looks interesting is the Acura RDX.  A good friend just bought one and loves it.  Am guessing 28 mpg or better on the highway w/awd.  

Bede

I would be very cautious spending that kind of money on a VW, especially when there are solid entries from brands with proven reliability in the Highlander, CX-9, and Pilot. Subaru will have a 3-row SUV soon as well, the Ascent. 

henryrski

Get a Ford super duty. Go big or don't go.:D

terrym

What's that old adage about never buying the "first" year's production of a new vehicle?

with the negative press VW has to distance itself from my guess is they have to be diligent in quality control. I don't think there are any bad cars around much anymore. 

DennisMcFeely

I'm watching closely feedback on a VW Atlas group online.  If no red flags by the spring that's probably what I'm going with 

garyRI

My mechanic says everything lasts for 200K miles except Volvos and never ever consider owning a German made car when the warranty runs out.

Dogwood
12 minutes ago, garyRI said:

My mechanic says everything lasts for 200K miles except Volvos and never ever consider owning a German made car when the warranty runs out.

Hmm.  How long do the Volvo's last?

garyRI
Just now, Dogwood said:

Hmm.  How long do the Volvo's last?

My guy rated Volvos as questionable after 100K 

Dogwood
Just now, garyRI said:

My guy rated Volvos as questionable after 100K 

Interesting.  The few folks I know that own them bought them cuz they thought they went forever with minimal repairs ala Toyotas.  I wouldn't know.

garyRI
Just now, Dogwood said:

The few folks I know that own them bought them cuz they thought they went forever

20 years ago or so Volvo marketed the dickens out of reliability/long life. I haven't noticed that in quite awhile.

jeff88
2 hours ago, garyRI said:

20 years ago or so Volvo marketed the dickens out of reliability/long life. I haven't noticed that in quite awhile.

My '73 Volvo 144s ended up with about 200k on it -- aside from small repair items, it was a tank.  As you say, they marketed on reliability and safety.  There is no gap like that anymore, almost all makes are very reliable and safe, Volvo can't use that as an edge as they did in the last millennium.  Personally when having looked at them they seem to be over-priced for what you get, the ones I drove road roughly and they were just seemed to be a step behind in handling and power.  One thing though, the old boxy Volvo is a thing of the past, some of the newer models look really good.  Volvo and the German cars are also real maintenance hogs -- one of the posts above stated don't keep a German car after the warranty.  Agree, plus I'd apply that to Volvo's as well.  These types of cars, unless you extend the warranty, are best leased and returned before the warranties expire.  That is how most of them are procured anyway, on leases.