• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
Rockdoc

Is there a western state noted for fly fishing?

Rockdoc

Even though my summer/fall fun’s not yet over by a long shot I’m already thinking of next year. Sooo… my question is, what western state generally has the best fly fishing overall? I really like Montana, but I’d like to spend next summer in a different state, perhaps Wyoming or Idaho. Another thing, I realize catch and release is all the rage but I’d at least like to occasionally eat a fresh caught trout dinner. Are there western states with catch and release laws that might hamper me in my pursuit of an occasional fresh caught trout dinner?

Steve

browndrake

You can't go wrong with Montana, Idaho, or Wyoming.  There are a lot of catch and release laws but there are plenty of hookem and cookem opportunities also.

Grifish
3 hours ago, browndrake said:

You can't go wrong with Montana, Idaho, or Wyoming.  There are a lot of catch and release laws but there are plenty of hookem and cookem opportunities also.

About sums it up!

Sage Hen

Idaho has a lot of both C&R and and catch and eat areas. Lots of good water in my part of the state.

Rockdoc
8 minutes ago, Sage Hen said:

Idaho has a lot of both C&R and and catch and eat areas. Lots of good water in my part of the state.

Sage hen, that's good to know about southern Idaho. One of the things that attracts me to Idaho is that my mother, who was born in 1905, grew up on a potato farm outside of Wendell ID. The stories she told when I was growing up about life on the ranch (aka potato farm) made the west seem so cool and exciting that even though I mostly grew up in Illinois I've always been drawn to the western states. The result is I've been interested in spending at least a few weeks or a month in Wendell so that I can find the farm she lived on and learn a bit more about her early life. I do know that my uncle Mac visited the farm in the mid-70's and people were still living there, and it still didn't have electricity or indoor plumbing.

Steve

Sage Hen

I live just a ways north of Wendell, I used to own some land there. My son is a fishing guide so I usually have up to date info on the fishing and I'd be glad to show you around. 

Ralph

Bullwinkle

Colorado ain't so bad.. 

Millriver

I've fished Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho and loved all three. Going to Colorado next summer and hope to get into some fishing there. If you're looking at Idaho, we spent a week in a USFS cabin on the north fork of the Boise River and loved it. Native rainbows on dry flies. The Boulder River in Montana was probably my favorite place. If I didn't have plans for Colorado next summer, I'd be bidding on the cabin on the Boulder in the UJ auction! The scenery in Wyoming was spectacular in the Lamar River valley in Yellowstone. I'd go back there too!

In my opinion, you can't go wrong fishing anywhere in the Northern Rockies!

Scrappy

Like everyone else has said, you can't go wrong with either Idaho, Montana or Wyoming.  As a native of Idaho I can certainly vouch for the opportunities here.  If you like to travel, you can easily fly fish your way from one side of the state to the other along the snake river plain:  Henry's Fork (and tributaries); South Fork of the Snake; Silver Creek; Big Wood River; South Fork of the Boise; North Fork of the Boise; etc.  If wanted to extend your extend your trip just a little further north and east, you could also throw in the Madison River and Yellowstone and hit all three states!

As for the occasional trout dinner, very few places in Idaho are true catch and release (certain areas on Silver Creek and Henry's).  Most waters allow at least two keepers if not more.

You probably already know this, but make sure you plan the timing of your trip around what waters you want to fish.  Once the thaw kicks into gear, several of the best waters will be completely blown out until mid to late summer.  I would definitely take Sage Hen up on his offer of fishing info.

Big Al

Bid on my cabin in the auction.  It'll put you close to a lot of excellent fly fishing. 

snapt

Idaho for the famous rivers and hatches, Wyoming for some solitude and spectacular landscapes. Can't go wrong with either!

Okhotnik
On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 1:35 PM, Scrappy said:

Like everyone else has said, you can't go wrong with either Idaho, Montana or Wyoming.  As a native of Idaho I can certainly vouch for the opportunities here.  If you like to travel, you can easily fly fish your way from one side of the state to the other along the snake river plain:  Henry's Fork (and tributaries); South Fork of the Snake; Silver Creek; Big Wood River; South Fork of the Boise; North Fork of the Boise; etc.  If wanted to extend your extend your trip just a little further north and east, you could also throw in the Madison River and Yellowstone and hit all three states!

As for the occasional trout dinner, very few places in Idaho are true catch and release (certain areas on Silver Creek and Henry's).  Most waters allow at least two keepers if not more.

You probably already know this, but make sure you plan the timing of your trip around what waters you want to fish.  Once the thaw kicks into gear, several of the best waters will be completely blown out until mid to late summer.  I would definitely take Sage Hen up on his offer of fishing info.

don't forget Owyhee in Idaho

The blackfoot Rez up in NW Montana has great fishing too

Boulder and fish creek are favs of mine in Montana

Britlab

Idaho 

Rockdoc

First I’d like to thank all y’all for your input into my next summers travel and fly fishing plans. Tomorrow I’m leaving beautiful Montana and heading to SW Nebraska. I’ll first hunt sharp-tails and explore the area. At the very end of October pheasant season begins and I hope to hunt pheasants well into late November. Unless winter weather forces an early retreat south, I plan to spend Thanksgiving in Denver with my son and his wife and hopefully my daughter. She’s currently making plans to fly in to Denver from LA for Thanksgiving. After Thanksgiving it’ll be onwards south to sunny Sierra Vista, Arizona and a whole bunch of quail hunting.

It’s odd, occasionally I think about settling down somewhere nice in a stix & brix and then I have a summer like I just had and beautiful Sierra Vista Arizona to look forwards to this winter and all I can do is say to myself “Whatthehell are you thinking!”

Steve

Huntschool

Ah.....  The life of an SIU retired PhD geologist ............  Enjoy it Steve.