Rockdoc

Is there a western state noted for fly fishing?

Bullwinkle

Durango, CO.

WyomingArt

Alaska- hands down.

Bloodhound

I know I am late to this thread...but its not Spring/Summer yet...so lets see...Frying Pan, Taylor,  Gunnison, Rio Grande, South Platte, the Colorado, Uncompahgre.  Yup, all destination rivers in Colorado and that is just a start, there are all the blue lines.  Oops I forgot to mention one of the biggest freestone rivers in the country the Arkansas.  The other Western states are fantastic as well, but don't overlook....wait what am I saying...the rivers are crowded enough...yup I would go to Montana or Idaho...yup that's where you should go :)

snapt

To be fair there's no front range to compete with in ID/MT/Most of WY.

shoot-straight

We go west each summer and fish a different area each time. (Won the auction for big al's cabin so we are headed to the boulder this summer) 

While not picking a specific state- The nw corner of Yellowstone where Idaho Montana and Wyoming come together formis the greatest concentration of cold water streams in the lower 48. There are literally dozens of different rivers and many  lakes within a short drive.

Keeping a trout or two is not a sin. Also, many streams are overrun with invasive brook trout, and limits are generous. Have at em and have fun.