2018 UJ SUMMER SILENT AUCTION HAS LAUNCHED Read more... ×
dogrunner

A-10 Warthogs.

dogrunner

I seen 2 go by west of my house kinda normal while heading back to Selfridge.  But this time they turned around and did a low flyby heading back north towards Lake Huron. 

IMG_4051.JPG

IMG_4052.JPG

PartridgeCartridge

Wicked cool rugged aircraft.

Rockdoc

When I'm wintering down in Sierra Vista Arizona I see them all the time. They train Warthog pilots at the local air base. You nearly always see them fly in tandem with the trainee in the lead plane followed by the trainer in his Warthog. I often wonder if my red Caravan's ever been targeted as a make believe tank!

Steve

RuffChaser

I'm friends with a guy that used to fly them. Damn cool piece of equipment.

Flyline

My next-door neighbor was in the AF and flew A-10s in the first Gulf War. He's now a captain for United. Said it was the most fun he's had with his clothes on.

Irishwhistler

The A-10 can really light it up, lay it down,  and ruin the enemies day.🇺🇸

GOD BLESS AMERICA,

Mikey

Wallyb06

I flew the A-10 for 10 years in the Air Force. Without a doubt it has the best gun of any fighter the USAF has in the inventory. I flew the forerunner to the A-10, the A-1 Skyraider, and the F-4E, both of which had 20 mm canons. The comparisons between the 20 and 30 mm is like tossing peas or footballs toward a target. If you want something destroyed on the ground, with friendly forces nearby, in marginal weather conditions, there is only one call to make. Bring in the HOGS! Not super fast, but in a single seat fighter the pilot can get very busy at times and below 500 feet the A-10 can kill you as fast as any other fighter going. Not overly  pretty and sleek as fighters go but hog drivers don't really care. The A-10 squadrons are comprised of some the best aviators in the USAF and their ability to fight is only made possible by some of the best ground support troops around. Now stand up during the national anthem, place your hand over your heart, and be glad that all veterans fought for the freedoms we enjoy today. Go USAF!

Wally

Kansas Big Dog

Where I farmed in West Central Missouri, we were just south of Whiteman Air Force base. Whiteman is home of the B-2 Stealth Bomber. They also do training for A-10 and Apache Helicopters. There were times I would on the tractor and an A-10 would strafe me from behind. I would say less than 100 feet from the ground. Scare the piss out of me.

Irishwhistler
On 10/1/2017 at 11:13 AM, Wallyb06 said:

I flew the A-10 for 10 years in the Air Force. Without a doubt it has the best gun of any fighter the USAF has in the inventory. I flew the forerunner to the A-10, the A-1 Skyraider, and the F-4E, both of which had 20 mm canons. The comparisons between the 20 and 30 mm is like tossing peas or footballs toward a target. If you want something destroyed on the ground, with friendly forces nearby, in marginal weather conditions, there is only one call to make. Bring in the HOGS! Not super fast, but in a single seat fighter the pilot can get very busy at times and below 500 feet the A-10 can kill you as fast as any other fighter going. Not overly  pretty and sleek as fighters go but hog drivers don't really care. The A-10 squadrons are comprised of some the best aviators in the USAF and their ability to fight is only made possible by some of the best ground support troops around. Now stand up during the national anthem, place your hand over your heart, and be glad that all veterans fought for the freedoms we enjoy today. Go USAF!

Wally

Aye Wally,

Could not agree more.  America - LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT.  THANK YOU FOR YOUR LOYAL SERVICE.

Respectfully,

Irishwhistler🇺🇸🇮🇪🍀

Rockdoc
21 hours ago, Kansas Big Dog said:

Where I farmed in West Central Missouri, we were just south of Whiteman Air Force base. Whiteman is home of the B-2 Stealth Bomber. They also do training for A-10 and Apache Helicopters. There were times I would on the tractor and an A-10 would strafe me from behind. I would say less than 100 feet from the ground. Scare the piss out of me.

Back in the late 80's I was the geologist on a groundwater monitor well drilling crew in eastern Washington. The USAF was training B52 pilots in low altitude, below radar flying. You have one of those huge planes pass overhead at an altitude low enough to see the rivet patterns in the fuselage and you'll be soiling yourself really quick. As for the planes engine noise, that followed the plane. You never actually heard the plane when it was right overhead.

Steve

kgb

First A-10 I saw was in California, it appeared overhead and looked like the kind of plane that should be making propeller noises, not jet. Was impressive to me and I didn't yet know much detail about them. 

Moving out of the limitations of fighter aircraft the big guns on board the various AC-130's seem unreal. I don't know where the 40mm steps to above the 30mm vs 20mm comparison but I'd like to see one in action as well as a live fire with the 105mm some time. I knew a captain who used to fly aboard 130s in Iraq, he was either fire control or EWO, and his reports of CAS missions were very interesting. Unfortunately Sean was one of the servicemen impacted by the burn pits where he was assigned, last I heard from him he'd suffered a couple lung collapses and related complications. 

MAArcher

I've seen the cannons for the A-10 being machined.  I sure would like to see them in action.  The aircraft was designed around the gun; even the engine had to be made to deal with the tremendous amount of oxygen-less gas emitted when firing.  The first prototypes would suck in the oxygen-less gas and the engine would flameout.  Imagine being the guy to first identify that problem?  Yikes.

Dave in Maine

This ground-pounder's favorite aircraft.  Period.  You have no idea the warm, fuzzy feeling a ground troop gets when he hears that very distinctive whine the A-10 makes.  Something akin to love.

I've seen a live-fire demonstration of the cannon.  The plane swoops in and fires.  You see muzzle flash about half the plane's length and the plane kinda stops in mid-air.  When the sound gets to you, a couple seconds later, it's like a long fart.  Meanwhile, the beaten zone is just demolished.

Somewhere I've got a picture I took of a pilot dancing his A-10 on its wingtip at about 50 feet.  Just over my head.  Amazing.

FWIW, one of my friends from junior high and high school started off in the USAF as an A-10 jockey.  He flew that for a few years, then transitioned to the F-16 as an instructor, then flew #4 for the Thunderbirds.

Greg Hartman

Awesome.  Wish they'da had those suckers back in the day.