dogrunner

A-10 Warthogs.

Crazy Horse

Had many a Cobra and Skyraider work in my favor. Huey gun ships helped save the day many times also, but nothing like what a A-10 Warthog can do. Those birds got to be the Grunts best friend.

dogrunner
On 6/13/2018 at 8:01 PM, UplandHntr said:

Ive not seen very many fighter jets in my life probably because of where I live. Every once in a while I see one around Madison, WI. Not sure what jets they are but I love seeing them. You guys around bases are very lucky

Except for the noise. 

Crazy Horse
Just now, dogrunner said:

Except for the noise. 

You know, some folks love the smell of gun powder in the morning, but there's nothing like the sound of a screaming jet engine coming in to save your bacon in a firefight. Anyone who has the ball$ to sit on two jet engines and a huge mini-gun hurtling through the sky has may deepest respect and eternal admiration.

Ask any Grunt if he loves or hates the Wop Wop of a Hughy Slick or a Cobra Gun Ship.  It's music to a Grunt's ears as is the roar of a A-10's engines.   Just sayin........;~)

salmontogue

How about the twin turbine whistle and scream of the F/A-18?  Also just sayin.

Perk

Ray Gubernat

We live near Dover AFB and see planes flying CAP almost every day since 9/11.  About 2/3 of the planes are high flying fighters, probably mostly  F-15's 16's and18's, but it is hard to tell because they are waaaay up there and going fast.

About a third of the time those planes are A-10's and every so often they are at a low and slow enough that I can see the entire plane. THey are an amazing piece of weaponry.  I understand that they can carry up to 16,000lb. of ordinance...in addition to the 30 mm.  Awesome. 

I do understand that the Air Force brass did not want the A-10 in the first place and has been doing whatever they can to   remove it from their inventory ever since.   It took the theater commander in the Iraq conflict to request them, to get the AF to bring them over.  Their performance in that conflict is legendary and their survivability is  pretty unbelievable.  They ain't sexy but they are an absolute BEAST of an airplane.

As has been said many times, by many experts, the ground attack and infantry support capabilities of the A-10 are without equal in the world.    Whether they like it or not...support of the boots on the ground IS one of the key missions of the USAF.  No airplane or helicopter can fly as far, with as much weaponry, be able to do close in ground support at treetop level and subsonic speeds AND loiter over the battlespace for as long as the A-10. 

The USAF brass seems to want to forget that part of their mission.  They also seem to want to forget that when they were originally constituted in WWII...they were the ARMY Air Force.

I have this funny feeling that when the USAF finally decides to delete the several hundred A-10's from their inventory...the US Army will take possession of them and set up their own ground support capacity, together with attack helicopers and maybe a few C-130 gunships. 

RayG

hayslope

We get the occasional "hog" visit in the summer over Sebec Lake in Maine. Amazingly, you don't seem to hear them approaching until they fly over the hills on the north side of the lake. By then, the noise is deafening.......pretty much shocks the crap outta you while sitting in a boat on what was a nice quiet lake.

They do have some serious firepower!!

SelbyLowndes

There's a base full of'em just outside of town.; Moody AFB aka Moody Field.   They have a practice range near where I hunt.  they sure can make the Turkeys gobble in the Spring!...SelbyLowndes 

dogrunner
6 hours ago, Crazy Horse said:

You know, some folks love the smell of gun powder in the morning, but there's nothing like the sound of a screaming jet engine coming in to save your bacon in a firefight. Anyone who has the ball$ to sit on two jet engines and a huge mini-gun hurtling through the sky has may deepest respect and eternal admiration.

Ask any Grunt if he loves or hates the Wop Wop of a Hughy Slick or a Cobra Gun Ship.  It's music to a Grunt's ears as is the roar of a A-10's engines.   Just sayin........;~)

I like the smell of gunpowder any time. Plus I don’t live that close to the base I’m just in the flight path as the head north to Lake Huron or Camp Grayling for the day. The use to fly F16 and C130s out of here but now it’s a refueling wing and A -10s they are much quieter than the F16. 

Wet Dog

dogrunner

This flew over tonight. 

B642C9C0-7514-4EF9-93F5-B73AADA1AE81.jpeg

9C472BF4-AC56-410B-A59B-6124B05A57F1.jpeg