REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×

North woods Maine & Garmins

Just passing this along to those of you who may be heading to Heaven ( ALLAGASH ) to check your garmins that we use on our dogs. The logging trucks that have to work there while we're there having fun use MURS channels 1-4 to monitor traffic and such. As it turns out our garmins that we run our dogs with usually come factory set on channel 1. They've been getting bombarded with complaints of interference from our units and ask that we set them to channel 5. I'm told it's not that difficult a task to do, but I for one can't swear to that yet haha. Any questions you can contact North Maine Woods 207-435-6213. Or www.northmainewoods.org Hope that helps.

Cooter Brown

Good to know!

I haven't tried to change mine but Garmin customer service is pretty good and would be able to get it set up quickly.

Brad Eden

That's great info to share with the Upland troops. Thanks.

Believe it or not guys and dolls it IS fairly simple. I just figured it out and if I did it well let's just say Yes Virginia there is a Santa Claus!

Biggggybmf

It is very simple to do.

You will need Your collar and your Astro.  Turn Both of them on and let them connect.

Click on Dog. If you have multiple collars (dogs) you will need to do it for each collar and select different channels for each (40-49).  Select the dog  and hit the menu button this should bring up a prompt that says "show info"  Click enter.

You should be looking at a screen that displays your dogs info. When the information is displayed click the Menu button again.  another smaller prompt screen will pop up.

in the display you will see "COMM Setting" a few down from the top on the list.

Click on that and it will allow you to choose a number setting.  You will want to choose a channel between 40-49 that will be the MURS Channel 5.

I am doing this off the top of my head and not with my Garmin in hand but that is how easy it is.

If you have any issues i could probably send pictures to help someone out.

Hope this helps

ryanr

FYI- they (NMW) have had that warning/request posted on their website for at least a year.