• Announcements

• Brad Eden

WELCOME NEW UJ MEMBERS   06/25/2017

It seems the word is out and UJ is enjoying a steady stream of newly Registered Members. Welcome to all of you, and we are all looking forward to your positive participation. I strongly suggest you review the Board Guidelines that have been in place since 2002. The most significant thing being that UJ is a NO POLITICS BOARD. LInk:  UJ BOARD GUIDELINES   Also UJ stays afloat mainly through Member Donations. Once a Donation is made you are placed in the Contributing Member Group with extra Priviliges. I am getting very few new Donations so hopefully this will spur that on a bit. Link:  New Members/Donations/Priviliges
SaltCityJeff

**Official** Chukar and Hun Thread 2017 - 2018

SaltCityJeff

I think many  of us were waiting for someone to start this thread, well - I guess that someone is going to be me this year. I will kick this off as the Chukar and Hun season is either underway in some states or starting in the next few days and weeks with others.  Let's see how everyone is doing. Please share your war stories, battle wounds, and adventures and photos here. 

Cheers - happy and safe hunting everyone! 

Jeff

Sage Hen

Thanks Jeff! I've been waiting for this one. 

SaltCityJeff
1 minute ago, Sage Hen said:

Thanks Jeff! I've been waiting for this one. 

We'll see what this weekend brings as Utah opens up. I fully expect to start seeing ThomGordon slaying birds (even with a plateau in bird numbers this year) with his GSPs and great pictures! 

Scrappy

Thanks for starting the thread, Jeff.  I'll bite, but what I have to add barely qualifies for the thread since it resulted in a grand total of two huns in the bag on what was supposed to be my first chukar hunt of the season.  The short version is that I have a favorite chukar area that I only hunt twice a year.  I have never seen another hunter there.  It is one of those areas where there is really only one way to hunt it and, if it is occupied, you have to backtrack down a very rough road for close to an hour to get to another decent area.  So, last Saturday I get there early and, low and behold, there is a truck, tent and shade tarp set up at the end of the road.  Nobody is around and the only direction for the presumed hunters to hunt is the same direction I want to go.  No hunt for me there.  But, there is a very cool area about thirty minutes away, unfortunately it has never held chukar in the past (although it looks like it is prime chukarland).  The last time I hunted it was three years ago and I flushed only one covey in ten miles.  I decide to try it anyway so that my day is not a complete waste.  To my complete surprise we find two coveys of huns and one covey of chukar.  However, it took me almost exactly 15 miles of hiking to do it.  Scrappy incredibly put down 37 miles.  Not what I envisioned for the day, but enjoyable nonetheless!

Bachelor group of elk that we stumbled upon on the way in.  It was very weird because we are in the middle of the rut, and there were no cows anywhere that I could see:

IMG_2180

Scrappy ready to go:

IMG_2185

Scrappy pointing a covey of chukar.  They flushed just as I was putting the camera away.  No shot.

IMG_2186

Scappy in a Mexican standoff with one of the many pronghorn we found (it was actually a pretty nice buck):

IMG_2191

One of the huns I bagged:

IMG_2203

snapt

Cool looking critters and country there Scrappy. Thanks for sharing.

WeeWilly

The Speedgoat photo is one of the best ever.

Sage Hen

I took Maggie out yesterday morning to spot the usually has a few huns around. We headed down to the creek after a ways so she could get some water and when we turned into the willows we came face to face with a big bull moose at about 20ft. I started to reach for my camera thinking this would be a great picture to post here. When he lowered his rack I came to my senses and we made our retreat. You never know what you will find out there. 

birddog

Our regular season hasn't opened in Nevada yet. But last weekend we participated in the youth hunt in Southern

Nevada. My boys (11 and 13) were fortunate enough to get into some birds. I'm so proud of them. Chukar are a

very worthy opponent. They rose to the occasion. I can't wait for my turn. It was a great day! We created forever

memories.

22135370_10213928545476113_2320478398028

7 hours ago, birddog said:

Our regular season hasn't opened in Nevada yet. But last weekend we participated in the youth hunt in Southern

Nevada. My boys (11 and 13) were fortunate enough to get into some birds. I'm so proud of them. Chukar are a

very worthy opponent. They rose to the occasion. I can't wait for my turn. It was a great day! We created forever

memories.

22135370_10213928545476113_2320478398028

It would appear those young men can shoot!

Remo

Guys, thanks for this thread again, and great pics. Just to toss out an idea. There are any number of members here who tie flies and are maybe looking for hun breast skins with feathers. Any way the two groups could get together on that? I am doing that with a Ujer and maybe others could connect too. Seems a shame to throw them out if someone else can use them.

SaltCityJeff
4 hours ago, Remo said:

Guys, thanks for this thread again, and great pics. Just to toss out an idea. There are any number of members here who tie flies and are maybe looking for hun breast skins with feathers. Any way the two groups could get together on that? I am doing that with a Ujer and maybe others could connect too. Seems a shame to throw them out if someone else can use them.

Remo - I will try to keep this in mind if/when I harvest any huns this year and will let the group know via a new thread that I have some available. 

Scrappy
4 hours ago, Remo said:

As a fly-tier myself, I'm more than happy to help out. I have more game-bird feathers than I could ever need.

snapt

Missed more birds that I'd care to admit tonight, but finally stuck this pair. 

37371619442_8d83215c99_b.jpg

ThreeDogs
14 hours ago, Remo said:

I keep all my him skins, they are the best fly tying skins going only the mighty ring neck can rival it as far as tying flies.

ThomGordon

What's a Hun?