• Announcements

• Brad Eden

WELCOME NEW UJ MEMBERS   06/25/2017

It seems the word is out and UJ is enjoying a steady stream of newly Registered Members. Welcome to all of you, and we are all looking forward to your positive participation. I strongly suggest you review the Board Guidelines that have been in place since 2002. The most significant thing being that UJ is a NO POLITICS BOARD. LInk:  UJ BOARD GUIDELINES   Also UJ stays afloat mainly through Member Donations. Once a Donation is made you are placed in the Contributing Member Group with extra Priviliges. I am getting very few new Donations so hopefully this will spur that on a bit. Link:  New Members/Donations/Priviliges
SaltCityJeff

**Official** Chukar and Hun Thread 2017 - 2018

ThreeDogs
12 hours ago, NVChukarChaser said:

Great day on the Chukar Hill. Seeing some young Brittanies turning on the magic and finding a few birds here and there. Brittanies, Public Land, Benelli’s, and Q5 vests make for a great day on the Chukar Hill.

510DBF35-B830-429B-B207-93F9267C0F53.jpeg

We find deer sheds all the time but this sheep horns are really cool! Congrats all around!

NVChukarChaser

Thanks. It’s the first time I have seen these in 20 yrs of Chukar Hunting. Came off a 6.5 year old desert ram. I was really surprised how heavy these thing are. 

greg jacobs

Got up early and drove 100 miles to watch my grandson play basketball. He had a big 4th quarter to help them get a win. Then made it back in time to get out for a couple hours. Chukar and pheasant yesterday and picked up 2 huns tonight. Life's good. 20171118_155425_1.jpg

ThreeDogs
13 hours ago, ThreeDogs said:

We find deer sheds all the time but this sheep horns are really cool! Congrats all around!

Did find him dead? I didn’t think Rams she’s their horns.

NVChukarChaser
4 minutes ago, ThreeDogs said:

Did find him dead? I didn’t think Rams she’s their horns.

Yeh, they don’t shed them. These were off a dead ram that had been there quite a while. FYI if you find a ram or bighorn sheep I found some best practices after talking to the biologist. 

1.) call your local biologist and report what you found

2.) take pictures 

3.) if it really fresh don’t mess with anything

4.) GPS coordinates for the biologist-really important 

5.) they can test the head for pneumonia 

With the number of bighorns we have lost in recent years due to disease being a biologist helper with your boots on the ground is always appreciated. 

I have done disease surveys for bighorns before so I kind of knew some of this stuff but wanted to pass it on. I’ll probably never find another one but the biologist said they really appreciate this kind of info. 

ThomGordon

Smoke stepping up to the plate

i-WtFkBS6-L.jpg

i-smkSZRb-L.jpg

i-XqBTfZg-L.jpg

i-SDsmFqr-L.jpg

i-HW4D4wh-L.jpg

i-Mh4Cmg6-L.jpg

i-wQ7Mjss-L.jpg

i-XLwrvnK-L.jpg

i-ggQwsZb-XL.jpg

greg jacobs

Great looking dog. I've always liked that pattern on gsp's. Like the old Shooting Starr dogs.

Kansas Big Dog

Ok you thick thighed  chukar hunters, I am considering going a chukar hunt. I would like to find a chukar destination that is close to KS, not to hard on this middle aged plains hunter and has a huntable number of Chuks. Obviously, not looking to hot spot any areas so PM me. Last year I considered going to E Utah, and that is my first choice now because of closeness. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

One of the bucket list hunting I wanted to do with my EB Jack is to hunt chukar with him. He will be 9 in April. He is now aging faster than me and this my be my last season to get Jack on chukars.

Thank again.

WeeWilly

Pre Thanksgiving harvest.

IMG_1033.JPG

IMG_1036.JPG

ThomGordon
On 11/20/2017 at 9:43 AM, Kansas Big Dog said:

Ok you thick thighed  chukar hunters, I am considering going a chukar hunt. I would like to find a chukar destination that is close to KS, not to hard on this middle aged plains hunter and has a huntable number of Chuks. Obviously, not looking to hot spot any areas so PM me. Last year I considered going to E Utah, and that is my first choice now because of closeness. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

One of the bucket list hunting I wanted to do with my EB Jack is to hunt chukar with him. He will be 9 in April. He is now aging faster than me and this my be my last season to get Jack on chukars.

Thank again.

Im hesitant to respond here. While I don’t want to discourage I don’t want to encourage either. Chukar this season are what I would say is poor. The area you mention is spotty at best and almost needs to be visited earlier in the season. Also, this area is prone to flash floods. I killed my first Chuks here with my uncle many, many moons ago. I could be wrong in assuming this particular area. Hopefully someone living on the border can share more specific information with you. Good luck.

PS If it were me I wouldn’t leave the Kansas region

Flush

I'll kind of echo ThomGordon,

Eastern Utah (and Western CO) do have chukar but it's not like the "core" chukars areas farther west. I imagine if you lived and hunted in the area a lot you could find some honeyholes that have reasonable terrain and chukar, but the vast majority that I have found in that region are in nasty bookcliffs, which are a PIA to hunt and dangerous for the dogs if you hunt them from the top. I think my advice would be if you are going to make the effort to hunt chukar this year, and you have never hunted chukar before, go all the way to the better areas of NV, ID.  

If you do go to western CO or eastern UT my advice would be start by looking near bookcliffs and try to find areas with lots of cheatgrass and they'll need a water source of some sort. There are some guzzlers in that area, the state biologists may be able to point you to those. This area has a "huntable" population only in the sense that chukar do live there and there is a season on them. If you know where to look you will eventually see some, but it's not a "good" chukar area. 

Scrappy
On 11/20/2017 at 9:43 AM, Kansas Big Dog said:

Thank again.

If you decide to travel all the way to Idaho, shoot me a pm.

Kansas Big Dog
5 hours ago, ThomGordon said:

PS If it were me I wouldn’t leave the Kansas region

Thanks for the info.

Well, a lot of boots on the ground here and deer season starts next week. Deer in W KS are hunted pretty much like pheasants; driving them. Looking to get away and do something different. I may just wander around here and there. Ok, mostly there.

In my axiom of bird density to bird hunter density, I am starting to prefer lower density of birds because that generally correlates to lower number of hunters. 

ThreeDogs
1 hour ago, Kansas Big Dog said:

In my axiom of bird density to bird hunter density, I am starting to prefer lower density of birds because that generally correlates to lower number of hunters. 

If you hunt the south east part of our state you sure as heck won’t see another bird hunter that I can guarantee you! There are Chukar in that part of the state I saw scads one year hunting for elk they were thick like bunnies. Went back the next year just to hunt Chukar and never saw/heard a bird. Vast and desolate are gross understatements.