oldbird

cork handle care

oldbird

Purchased an older Orvis Superfine 2wt for the small creeks around here. Rod is in good condition but the cork handle is showing some age. No missing chunks just small gaps.

Wondering if any of you rod builders have any advice on care?

ThreeDogs

You can by some very fine grit sand paper to clean it make it look new again. You can also scrub it with soapy water. It's hard to fill

in those gaps and have them look better....

mister grouse

Light wash with Lava Soap.  Dry,   assess affects, repeat. It should clean the cork up and just don't scrub it too hard the first time .

D. Case

You can make a paste with baking soda and lightly scrub with a brush to clean the cork.  If there are small voids in the cork you  can sand a piece of cork (wine bottle cork) to dust, mix with glue and fill in the voids and sand it with fine sand paper.  You can also use plastic wood in natural or Oak, carefully fill in the void using a needle. Fill in slightly more than is needed to level the void and allow to dry. Once dry take a cotton cloth and wet it with lacquer thinner and lightly rub the repaired area, the plastic wood will ear away to the level of the cork without sanding it.  I have used both methods with good results.

Dave in Maine

My experience with filling cork is that it's usually effort spent for no appreciable, or no worthwhile, result.  A trained eye will almost always discern the filling.

I'm of the opinion that when a rod starts showing wear on the cork, it's gotten that way through lots of honest, fish-catching use.  Why deprive a rod of its history?

But, OTOH, where a cork ring has been damaged (like, say, by using it in lieu of a hook-keeper), replacing it with a new ring is perfectly acceptable.  The problem with that is that the new ring will stand out against the worn, and cleaning the old to match the new will reveal ridges that may not have been evident before.

You have to decide how you want to proceed and, whatever works for you is the way you should go.  It's not like its a Garrison, Payne, Gillum, or such.

MAArcher

I'm not a rod builder but a woodworking tip to make near invisible filling of small imperfections is to take some wood glue and mix it with sanding dust from the wood your working on to make a paste and use that as a filler and sand it flush.  Maybe that would work?  if the gaps are real small you could try using an artist brush to fill them with wood glue and then sand before its dry and the dust should pack in there?  Then seal the handle with something.

I just looked on line and found this:   http://blog.mudhole.com/repair-fishing-rod-handles-winter/

Elmers Wood Filler and Cork Seal might do the trick.

oldbird

Thx fellas!

Gunsmoke

you can then seal the cork with u40 it can be ordered from places like tackle warehouse