• Announcements

• Brad Eden

WELCOME NEW UJ MEMBERS   06/25/2017

It seems the word is out and UJ is enjoying a steady stream of newly Registered Members. Welcome to all of you, and we are all looking forward to your positive participation. I strongly suggest you review the Board Guidelines that have been in place since 2002. The most significant thing being that UJ is a NO POLITICS BOARD. LInk:  UJ BOARD GUIDELINES   Also UJ stays afloat mainly through Member Donations. Once a Donation is made you are placed in the Contributing Member Group with extra Priviliges. I am getting very few new Donations so hopefully this will spur that on a bit. Link:  New Members/Donations/Priviliges
gjw

2017 Hunting Season Photos - Let's See Them

dogrunner

I’m tired. 

2D9BB69E-5C63-448F-9D4E-719297819D61.jpeg

dogrunner

8BF5EE99-A1D7-420D-B7F7-86B805533E22.jpeg

gjw

Hey all, well today was our pheasant opener.  It was a poor one (at least for us).  One of the poorest openers I've had in years. My son Jim and I each did get one (and Jim also got a grouse), so not all was lost!  Saw few birds, plus the wind was really whipping today (22+ and gusts over 30).  That didn't help. We saw 5 roosters total, no hens.  But as I said the wind really affected everything.  Going to try around the home place here tomorrow, so we'll see what happens.

Jim with his birds.  He was using his 12ga Victor Sarasqueta 3EC

52656_1024x768.jpg

I used my 12b James Purdey

52657_1024x768.jpg

Raina and the the days bag

52658_1024x768.jpg

Until tomorrow!

Greg

millerperch

My boy Clyde and I yesterday. 

IMG_3527.JPG

SetterWood
14 hours ago, dogrunner said:

8BF5EE99-A1D7-420D-B7F7-86B805533E22.jpeg

Looks like Woodcock in the prairie? Well done

Quig

Half embarrassed to admit this, the Gordon had a woodcock pointed. The bird flushed, I missed. It circled my hunting buddy and myself 4 times with multiple missed shots before we managed to scratch it down.

82A2E3C9-C638-454D-B5FA-44126CC2DD1A.jpeg

CC9CA3EA-3EF1-48FE-90A0-292FA47EF0A0.jpeg

dogrunner

9DF851CD-7698-433B-9EC0-FF258B486D1B.jpeg

dogrunner
11 hours ago, SetterWood said:

Looks like Woodcock in the prairie? Well done

Well sorta. 😉

dogrunner

The end of a day on the prairie. EA9BD631-E846-401B-9F11-5458052E8F5A.thumb.jpeg.3de98a25d4d1afc2b30ad0e3dff05684.jpeg

WhatsDaPoint

Still warm in northern WI. Gotta head out at sunrise for reasonable temps. 

IMG_0556.JPG

dogrunner

Found a half dozen of these in different spots while out roaming. 

38F52C52-7A49-4136-B6ED-8120CC5DF959.jpeg

shinbone

(training, not hunting) Gretel working on her steadiness

Steadiness%20training%20with%20Gretel%20

Her AZP test is next weekend, after that it is full speed ahead on hunting.

RuffChaser
On 10/2/2017 at 7:12 PM, Hub said:

Tye...you do beat the hell out of the trees don't you?  I blasted an arm sized popple last year.  It rained leaves on impact from about 4 ft.  I had to stop and laugh and have my buddy take a victory picture as I posed like I was stepping on the back of a Cape Buffalo.

So this past weekend was fun. I'll show some pics and give some details later but this is the jest of one of the best parts. We are hunting a place I call woodcock heaven. It's getting older so odds are it's mostly grouse but in it's heyday you could flush 40-50 WC in an hour. Resident birds. We had moved one grouse off a trail. a few hundresd yards later a grouse flushed wild just in front of me. It was thick and I only saw it for a second but as we like to say - you never know until you pull the trigger. All I could see was a 1.5", or so, thick aspen tree fall down in front of me. I sawed it clean off. My buddy asked if I got it. I said I don't think so all I could see was the tree in front of me that I chopped off falling. He says he thinks one of the dogs has it. Sure enough I killed that bastard. I good sized male gray phase. After his dog plucked it for me, including all but 2 tail feathers, damn GSPs, I put it in the game bag. The tree I hit couldn't have been more than 5 yards in front of me. I have no idea how enough BBs got around that tree, or through it, to kill that bird. BTW, I shoot a 20 ga and only shoot 7/8 oz of #8 shot.

I only shoot pointed WC but will shoot a wild flushed grouse if I am pretty sure they dogs didn't bump it. I won't shoot one I know for sure they have bumped. I will freely admit I am far from a good shot. I'm OK with that. There are times when I get a little pissed but those are those rare instances where the grouse gave you an easy shot and I miss. Outside of that misses don't bother me much. I don't know why but this season I am hitting most of the birds I contact, grouse, and am making shots that I never have made in the past. The last few birds I couldn't see at all when I pulled the trigger. I got a good line on them as I shot but by the time I pulled the trigger they were behind some trees, leaves, etc. This is what you do in the grouse woods but it rarely works out for me this way. I'm not complaining but I am usually the guy climbing over a dead fall when the grouse flushes.

I didn't shoot once over the summer so I know that isn't it. I am quite happy and hope to not change a thing.

shinbone
10 hours ago, WhatsDaPoint said:

Still warm in northern WI. Gotta head out at sunrise for reasonable temps. 

IMG_0556.JPG

Great photo!

Brad Eden

IMG_0502.JPG

Uplanders Baxter and my Cash. 6 year old Springer brothers up at camp. Both thinking that their masters really suck at finding and shooting birds. (photo by Shaun aka Uplander)