• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE add more info than just  "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering it is not bullet proof, so Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a warm blooded human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Thank you.
Sign in to follow this  
MAArcher

Caring for an older dog

MAArcher

I have an 11 year old GSP and her hips are starting to go.  She no longer goes up and down stairs, needs to be lifted into the truck, onto my bed at night, etc.  The other day I watched her struggle to stand up from her dog bed.  Any advice on what I could do as far as diet/supplements/pain meds to make things easier for her?  

garyRI

Our oldest, who is a MD, gives her 10+ year old mix Buddy Bites dog cookies. I asked her if she could tell any differences. She said before Buddy Bites her dog couldn't get up on the furniturer and after it could.

Hub

Using a handled log carrying bag sure saves on the back with old dogs.  Just slip it over their middle.  Also slick floors are tough on old dogs.  The more they are standing on carpet and rugs the better.  I can help on the pills, used to supplement glucosamine and chondroitin, but most food has it in there now day's.

Irish Joe

My oldest dog is a shorthair, old Blu is 12.5 yrs. I started her on glucosamine/chondroitin about 3 yrs ago and I believe it helped a great deal. She hunted the same she always has even into last season. This summer I saw her starting to slow down, her back legs don't always work as well as she'd like! On the recommendation of a friend, I bought a bottle of Metacam to give when she gets sore and beat up. Ask your vet what they recommend for an older active dog.

Good luck!

MAArcher

Wow, so glad to hear there's stuff to help that might actually work.  Should have asked this question a few months ago.  

I think I may need to take some of this stuff myself.  I have a hard time getting up and down the stairs and on and off the furniture too.

stripersonfly

Yeah, our lab was 14 when she finally passed away in March.  The last 2 - 3 years were very similar to what you are describing.  Like others, we had here taking Cosequin DS (Glucosamine/Chondroitin) and Tramadol and it seemed to help quit her quite a bit. 

Jacquidog

We had an older dog with painful hips and we gave him Remadol a prescription drug we got at Walmart. It seemed to help for a couple of years  but eventually a very hard choice has to be made. I hope you can delay it for some time while still maintaining  some dignity for your old dog.

martyg

MA - search out a canine PT. We have an exceptional one in our town. Prior to his care Roxie was hard pressed to do a 1/2 mile walk. Now she can do a 6 + mile hike. Keep in mind that she is spent the next day, but her stoke is high while she is out.

IME the drill is that they analise walk, gate, movement and assess the core issues. Then they give direction on exercises and stretches. Our PT has a tank with treadmill so hat he can see what is happening when the dog is mostly buoyant. In Roxxie's case swimming and squats where the silver bullet.

We supplement with Missing Link Plus. If you can access CBD oil that helps a great deal also.

Enjoy.

DonT

I was in the same boat a few months back.  Like Bobman said, Nutramax Dasuquin with MSN  works!!!!   I get it from Lion Country.  

gunsrus

The rugs are a great idea . We did it for my GSP and it really helped him . Very sad to watch a dog splay and have to pick him up . We put cheap throwaway rugs everywhere there was tile or hardwood that he would walk on .

KCrowley

Deramaxx starting the day before the hunt. Without it my 10 y.o. Lab Rose wouldn't be able to hunt at all. Not cheap, but worth it for us. I do the Glucosamine/MSM supps too, but they don't help nearly as much as deramaxx.

Greg Hartman

Another glucosamine/chondroitin fan here.  When I was 50, I could barely walk my older daughter up the aisle for her (second) wedding (actually, it was the ramp on my deck) because my knees hurt so bad from old college football injuries, etc..  Started taking glucosamine/chondroitin based on a recommendation of a friend who was at the wedding and saw me suffering; and, within a month, my knees were pain-free.  I'm now pushing 72 and have zero knee and joint pain.  I started giving glucosamine/chondroitin to Maggie at age 8 and she hunted to 15.5 - to within two weeks of her passing.  Chase is 14 - started him at age 8 on glucosamine/chondroitin - sadly, he has other health issues, but has had zero joint problems.  I will put Joy on glucosamine/chondroitin when she gets older.  

This is all just anecdotal and maybe the stuff doesn't really do anything, but I'm enough of a believer to buy it and use it for both myself and my older dogs - there is no downside that I know  of,  if I'm wrong about it being efficacious. 

MAArcher
9 hours ago, Irish Joe said:

My oldest dog is a shorthair, old Blu is 12.5 yrs. I started her on glucosamine/chondroitin about 3 yrs ago and I believe it helped a great deal. She hunted the same she always has even into last season. This summer I saw her starting to slow down, her back legs don't always work as well as she'd like! On the recommendation of a friend, I bought a bottle of Metacam to give when she gets sore and beat up. Ask your vet what they recommend for an older active dog.

Good luck!

Can you get Metacam without a prescription?

...never mind, I just read that you need to monitor the blood for organ failure while on that stuff.  We'll try glucosamine/chondroitin first.

Irish Joe

Metacam is often prescribed the same as Rimadyl. Monitoring only takes place when it is prescribed as an everyday medication, as prolonged use can lead to problems. My vet advised using it as preventative medicine before a hard day's hunt. Others use it on an old dog after a tough hunt. I will not be using it everyday.