FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
MAArcher

Caring for an older dog

john mcg
23 hours ago, PartridgeCartridge said:

And they look to us as the alpha leader in that pack. And that kind of genuine love and commitment by them defines them as our best friend. It is the ultimate price we pay for loving them and them loving us.

You betcha!

Yup---they are amazing in their loyalty and all that they give us.

I have attempted to be true to something I read that a fella said. I can't remember who it was, but it went something like this...make him think you are the best human alive. At least that was the gist of it.

gaberdeen
On 12/15/2017 at 7:05 PM, MAArcher said:

Well I got Annie to take Cosequin for a couple weeks but I never got to see an improvement, a week ago she started refusing it, then she stopped eating her regular food (Proplan Performance).  Last few days all she will eat is table scraps.  Tonight she turned her nose up at a big bowl of chicken after just one or two bites.  She's never in her life failed to wolf down every bit of people food ever offered to her, often at the risk of losing your finger, so that can't be a good sign.  A few days ago her eye's started to get droopy and she's been drinking and urinating more than normal.  Crapped in the house twice this week which she's never done.

I Had her at the vet yesterday, she's down 10 lbs from this past summer and the tumors that she's had for years around her nipples are getting bigger.  $400 in the usual fecal & urine tests didn't turn anything up except maybe a bladder infection.  Vet had no idea what was up with the eyes, didn't think it was Horner's Syndrome because the pupils were fine and didn't see any damage or trauma.  Going to put her on antibiotics tomorrow.  Vet gave me some pain meds that seem to help her rest a little more peacefully.   Vet seemed more optimistic about her health than I am.  I have to go away for work next week and I'm worried Annie won't be here when I get back....  

That's the problem with dogs I guess, they just weren't made to last.  

Annie couch 4.jpg

I am right along there with you. My Golden Sage just turned 15. She has her good days and bad days. Just discovered a tumor growing for out of her ear. Doesn’t look good. Some days I have to lift her so she can stand. Daily dose of Rimadyl seems to help some. Praying for your pup.

frak

Our gang is praying for you and Annie.  My dogs said that giving her a big hug would make everything fine.  I’m inclined to believe them, despite the fact that neither has any veterinary training to my knowledge.  

MAArcher

Thanks for the well wishes and kind words.  Annie's holding steady for the moment.  If we could just teach them to talk, it would be so much easier if i just knew for sure how much pain she's in.  I have the next ten days off from work so we'll get to spend some quality time together in between the holiday hustle and bustle.  

gunsrus

My best for Annie . I was fortunate my two shorthairs , Bleu and Zack lived to 15 and 16 respectively . Both , like Annie ate everything up till about a year before they passed . Delicious toppings were the norm for several months . Tough times ahead , you have my good thoughts and prayers.

Dogwood
13 hours ago, MAArcher said:

Thanks for the well wishes and kind words.  Annie's holding steady for the moment.  If we could just teach them to talk, it would be so much easier if i just knew for sure how much pain she's in.  I have the next ten days off from work so we'll get to spend some quality time together in between the holiday hustle and bustle.  

I don't think she's painfully suffering but rather her body is exhausted as she prepares to move on to other uplands.  No spoken words needed.

UplandHntr

I dont know many of you or your pups but man does this hit home.. hang in there buddy, Im going thru it too.