• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE add more info than just  "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering it is not bullet proof, so Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a warm blooded human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Thank you.
scottspec2

Birdvan Tour!

scottspec2

As requested by many, may I present a look inside/outside the Bird Van! I did a more detailed write up on my blog (scottandwatson.wordpress.com), and instead of making another detailed write up, I decided I'd share some pics, give a bullet point rundown, and invite everyone to ask any question you have and I'll do my best to answer them. So here goes...

But first, meet my other dog, Eleanor. Yes, I actually have 2 dogs on this trip, Eleanor however is basically just dead weight. She's a 10.5 year old mystery mix that I got when I was only 20, when my buddies and I all lived in a big 4 bedroom dump of a house in the college years. She spent the majority of her life being the "college house dog", impressing ladies at parties, eating pizza left out over night on the floor...all that good stuff. She's a worthless hunter, unless you're looking for the nearest gut pile or clump of dead minnows at the boat landing. In that venue she has no equal. I could have left her with a few different friends, or my mother, but I wasn't about to leave her behind for the first time in her life. So while Watson and I are out doing our thing, she keeps the cot warm, and thoroughly inspects the bird vest when we return.

• 148 amp hours of DC power from 2 batteries mounted on the vehicle frame. Charged by a 100 watt solar panel on the roof and a battery Isolator.
  • Storage Pod that houses 36 Duck and 2 goose Decoys.
  • My bad ass and super versatile canoe, mostly paddled, but I have a trolling motor for it as well.
  • All windows tinted with UV filtering film that cuts solar heat generation by 50%, Infrared heat by 90%, and UV Rays by 99%.
  • Spray foamed insulated all body cavities.
  • 0.5" foam board insulation behind all wood surfaces (even the floor).
  • Filled doors with fiberglass insulation.
  • 100 CFM exhaust fan in ceiling.
  • Rear cargo area designed for storing lots of stuff.
  • Watson's kennel has door on both ends, so he can enter from outside and inside the van.
  • Living area with ample storage for dry goods, 3 drawer metal cabinet holds my clothes.
  • 1000 watt inverter and mini fridge will let me store plenty of food, processed birds, and tasty beverages.
  • Rod rack on the ceiling can hold 10 fishing poles.
  • Cool flip up table on side door for cooking outside, or use inside.
  • Super Rad rope lighting.
  • The thing on top of Watson's kennel is the ruff tuff water reservoir, holds 9 gallons. All told I can carry 17 gallons of water in storage, plus a couple bottles.

So enjoy the pics, and ask away!

DSC00700Resized.jpg

DSC00703Resized.jpg

DSC00676Resized.jpg

DSC00685Resized.jpg

DSC00683Resized.jpg

DSC00694Resized.jpg

DSC00697Resized.jpg

DSC00698Resized.jpg

DSC00680Resized.jpg

DSC00708Resized.jpg

DSC00705Resized.jpg

Resized_20170802_233203.jpeg

Greg Hartman

Very cool!!

henryrski

Nice. Will you build me one?9_9

scottspec2
18 minutes ago, henryrski said:

Nice. Will you build me one?9_9

Ha! It was a ton of work...

MNice

I saw "The Van" parked at the hitch'n post (Fleet Farm) earlier in the week. You must have been on a supply run...next time I'll buy you a beer.

cf1193

Awesome! You've really thought this through. I would have never thought to insulate the van to the extent that you have, I'm sure it will yield great dividends.

RookieEP

That is awesome.  Wish i did something like that back in the day 

scottspec2
8 minutes ago, MNice said:

I saw "The Van" parked at the hitch'n post (Fleet Farm) earlier in the week. You must have been on a supply run...next time I'll buy you a beer.

Supply/boredom, I was waiting for a buddy to get off work. This whole busted dog thing is lame. Plus Fleet Farm has the cheapest gas, I keep the $0.04 off per gallon coupon receipts in a stack on the dash.

NECarson

This is most definitely not intended as a backhanded compliment, at all. 

You obviously put a lot of thought and work into it, very well done. 

I really like that it's not an effort to turn a van into an RV or something... Those never really seem to make sure to me. You set up a camp in a (very well equipped) van. I actually want to do something similar in a smaller cargo trailer. 

scottspec2
11 hours ago, NECarson said:

This is most definitely not intended as a backhanded compliment, at all. 

You obviously put a lot of thought and work into it, very well done. 

I really like that it's not an effort to turn a van into an RV or something... Those never really seem to make sure to me. You set up a camp in a (very well equipped) van. I actually want to do something similar in a smaller cargo trailer. 

That was my goal. I get the 'mini-RV' van builds, but I knew it wasn't at all going to work for what I was trying to accomplish. I had considered the cargo trailer idea as well. I feel for a normal setup, where a person has a house where it could sit, so all you had to do was hitch up and go, it would be a better choice.

LabHunter

That's great, nice work!  I love the simplicity of it all!

NECarson
2 hours ago, scottspec2 said:

That was my goal. I get the 'mini-RV' van builds, but I knew it wasn't at all going to work for what I was trying to accomplish. I had considered the cargo trailer idea as well. I feel for a normal setup, where a person has a house where it could sit, so all you had to do was hitch up and go, it would be a better choice.

I'm in a similar boat, the "mini RV" just isn't going to work for my uses either. 

Yeah, a trailer would just sit in my shop, and I already have (and will always have) a truck that would be a great tow rig, hook up and go. Already loaded and ready. 

No perfect setup for everyone, that's what makes it interesting! 

Rockdoc

Scott, I like your Bird Van. I’ve been thinking of something similar. I currently have a 2005 Dodge Caravan that I drove to Alaska/BC in 2016 on a two month exploration. I really enjoyed the minimalism of the entire journey so much more than traveling places in The Behemoth (the 33’ Class A motorhome I live in). I keep thinking that the way for me to go would be to purchase an inexpensive winter home in Sierra Vista AZ and then spend my summer/fall months exploring, fishing, and hunting in something like you have.

BTW, what size motor does that bad boy have and what kind of fuel mileage does it get, both city and highway.

Steve

scottspec2

Rockdoc it has the 5.4 gas engine, and I get 14-16 depending on terrain and such. For comparison, the newer transit vans can get up to 20, which makes for a strong cost vs. mpg argument if you're buying new.

settem

I like it!

Very cool setup. 

I was shopping hard at one time for a Quigley conversion van to do something very similar, but they are tough to find, and expensive. 

I wound up with a truck camper. 

Its not perfect, but like your setup, it sure is nice to always have your camp with you.